Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Most Iconic Car of All Time

Guys, might I also suggest the Mazda MX-5/Miata?

Might not be well recognized, but it sure sold a lot.

That might be the people's sports car.

I know it pales in comparison with the Beetle, but it'll probably make a top 20 list.

This car just popped into my mind.

Truth be told I had never seen or heard about the mustang back home in Africa so i wouldn't know the scale of its impact till i came to the U.S., but back home my uncle owned an old beetle, My school teacher had a beetle and the only amateur rally driver i knew raced a beetle. The beetle was the holy grail of personal Transportation.

If the automotive world had not produced the FF technology that drastically cheapened car production and decreased fuel consumption, The cheapest yet most functional design to date would be that of the bug.
    Once fanboyism infects you it impares all your judgement.
    It's like being drunk, you lack common sense and everyone laughs at you.

Quote Originally Posted by h22a View Post
    LR Defender 90 - fairly iconic i would say
    Absolutely, It may be the only car that many people see in a lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by kigango123 View Post
    Truth be told I had never seen or heard about the mustang back home in Africa so i wouldn't know the scale of its impact till i came to the U.S., but back home my uncle owned an old beetle, My school teacher had a beetle and the only amateur rally driver i knew raced a beetle. The beetle was the holy grail of personal Transportation. .
    Was the Dakdak as iconic to that era as Ford's 'Universal car' the Model T was in earlier times?

Quote Originally Posted by Wiki

[1908]
    The first production Model T was built

[1914]
    Ford produced more cars than all other automakers combined

[1915]
    by the time Henry made his 10 millionth car 9 out of 10 of all cars in the entire world were Fords

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo.Jenkens View Post
    Absolutely, It may be the only car that many people see in a lifetime.
    But then we would have to get into the Toyota Land Cruiser vs Land Rover Defender argument, and of course I would go for the Toyota.

Back to the topic: Mini, I would say, with not many arguments at hand. It just an Icon, a big one.
    Zag when they Zig

Definitely can't ignore the Porsche 356 or 911 or the Jaguar E-Type.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    Was the Dakdak as iconic to that era as Ford's 'Universal car' the Model T was in earlier times?
    Do you then posit that the Model T is more iconic than the Beetle?
    Last edited by Kitdy; 01-30-2008 at 12:42 AM. Reason: type

But was the T big in Europe (or other places outside of the US for that matter)? I think not, therefore in that aspect the Beetle might outpopularise it, in terms or market reach.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    But was the T big in Europe (or other places outside of the US for that matter)? I think not, therefore in that aspect the Beetle might outpopularise it, in terms or market reach.
    That is my thought as well. Another thing going against the T is it's throw away looks.

Furthermore, I'd say time independently that the Beetle is just more recognizable due to it's global popularity and extremely long life cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Do you then posit that the Model T is more iconic than the Beetle?
    Imo yes

Today it is hard to comprehend the global importance of this, the Universal Car. Despite being only one model of one brand, with the Model T at one stage accounting for half of all production worldwide I would think it was big everywhere!

Apart from the US it was also manufactured by separate plants in Canada, England, Brazil, Germany and Australia (where it was easily the #1 seller) and no doubt assembled CKD in goodness knows how many other lands

* according to wiki
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    That is my thought as well. Another thing going against the T is it's throw away looks.

Furthermore, I'd say time independently that the Beetle is just more recognizable due to it's global popularity and extremely long life cycle.
    Your phrase "time independently" is very relevant to this discussion. Compare the Ford's similar global reach, its truly phenomenal % of all vehicles sold and/or on the road in that time - which is as valid as any other era of consideration. In other words its totally huge prevalalence and ubiquitousness in its era, moreso than the Beetle in its era

Finally I've always thought of the Model T as super cute and appealing - in both style and design - and some versions are beautiful

Not so my own much-modded '27 Turtledeck Roadster but hey it was still a funky unit - and fast too!

Front
    Rear
    Inside
    Inside 2
    Drivers view

Your phrase "time independently" is very relevant to this discussion. Compare the Ford's similar global reach, its truly phenomenal % of all vehicles sold and/or on the road in that time - which is as valid as any other era of consideration. In other words its totally huge prevalalence and ubiquitousness in its era, moreso than the Beetle in its era

Finally I've always thought of the Model T as super cute and appealing - in both style and design - and some versions are beautiful

Not so my own much-modded '27 Turtledeck Roadster but hey it was still a funky unit - and fast too!
    Wow, that's a cool car! Do you still own it? (The pictures look old.)

To bring it up again, anyone want to say that although it might not be most popular, the Mazda MX-5/Miata is pretty recognizable around the world? World's best selling sports car, according to Guinness World Records.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Wow, that's a cool car! Do you still own it? (The pictures look old.)

To bring it up again, anyone want to say that although it might not be most popular, the Mazda MX-5/Miata is pretty recognizable around the world? World's best selling sports car, according to Guinness World Records.
    That's alot of haircuts.
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

Quote Originally Posted by baddabang View Post
    That's alot of haircuts.
    Maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    A copy can never be icnoic.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

A copy can never be icnoic.
    True, but another post before pointed out the Beetle's styling wasn't original either.

I don't know if any other Beetle-like cars were made before the Beetle though.

Thread Information