Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Biggest disaster in 2005?

because that wasnt a disaster, it was a terrorist bombing

by the way, is this ironic, or do UCP's ads pic up on certain words?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R
    Yeah, the earthquake really was significant. At least in Katrina they had help. I heard that not much help went to Pakistan.
    I've only heard American troops were helping along with other groups unidentified by the media.
    2007 Acura TL Type-S (AEM V2, R-V6 Race/J-Pipe, ATLP Quad Exhaust)
    2011 BMW 328i Coupe

im here in Pakistan and my uncle is in the army. hes placed in the area of the earthquake. he showed me pics of the areas affected by the EQ thru his digital camera. he told me that many villages have been wiped out including the city of Balakot which may no longer be on the map. many villages and small cities have lost an entire generation of children who have died when dozens of schools collapsed killing hundreds of children. ive heard on the news that the final death toll could reach 800,000.
    If you want to do something wrong, do it right

The London Bombings I admit was very scary. Coming from NY and 9/11, I'd know how you'd feel. But they weren't disasters as noted before and in terms of deaths there were less.

When i fell off my garage.
    "It feels loud, fast and scary. It feels like someone has torn off your arm and is beating you to death with the soggy end." Clarkson talking about a TVR.

Quote Originally Posted by UCR
    When i fell off my garage.
    causing the Pakistan earthquake?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R
    The London Bombings I admit was very scary. Coming from NY and 9/11, I'd know how you'd feel. But they weren't disasters as noted before and in terms of deaths there were less.
    i wasnt only talking about that, i mean the other 3 were caused by nature

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    well if thats him in his avatar putting prius in a head lock, then quite probably

I think Jim submitted a picture of him and his dad once, so if that pic was correct, that's not him.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella
    I think Jim submitted a picture of him and his dad once, so if that pic was correct, that's not him.
    Thanx for spoiling the fun man...
    "The best thing about this is that you know that it has to come from a country where drugs is legal"

Top Gear on the Vandenbrink Carver One

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    Two Zings in one thread! UCP's oldest member is also UCP's meanest member

i say the tsunami. i was in singapore when it happened. we were driving in out volvo about to go into an underground parking garage. all the people in the car felt a sway and vibrations. then the height pole on the garage started swinging violently.
    we didnt know that it was that back, we thought it was a small tremor that wouldnt become such a big disaster.
    my history teacher was in on of the area's that got hit. he was seriously never the same again. always paranoid
    THIS IS A SIGNATURE
    (UCP'S biggest Zonda fan)

Stand up next to a mountain, chop it down with the edge of my hand. Pick up all the peices make an island over there
    Jimi H...

Quote Originally Posted by jorismo
    I must say I'm quite surprised I don't hear anybody talking about the London bombings. I would be scared as hell if it happenend over here...
    That's because they weren't really all that disastrous. London used to be bombed an threathned by the IRA you know.

The Tsunami was 2004 regaurdless of when everyone figured out how bad it was.

Katrina belongs on the list, as does the asian earthquake

your little summary about Katrina is rather ridicouls when the La state govennor refused to let the federal government take over because the President was republican and didnt move fast enough to get aid to New Orleans because of differences she had with the Mayor of the city durning previous years. The mayor issues a mandatory evactuation yet a huge amount of people stay wether they can leave or not. The people that cant leave are then moved into the superdome while hundreds of buses are sitting there. Emergency plans are not taken into consideration and the state and local government failures had much more a effect than the federal failuers. People didnt take their lives into consideration and they got stuck in a horrible situation (just like the emergency scenarios said would happen 1 year before). im going to take you and place you in the middle of a road and tell you in 2 minutes a semi is going to come hauling down that road at 70mph, what do you do? obviously you get out of the way, to bad people didnt have that kinda common sense with a Category 5 hurricane 100 miles off shore (weakend to a strong cat 3 at La landfall). The federal government isint without blame but the govenor of lousianna is by far the most at fault for letting the disaster get as big as it did.

Not to many people know but durning the disaster, Nagin was flying back and forth to dallas to close on a house
    Tuesday the day after the storm hit the Red Cross was outside the superdome with supplies but the City of New Orleans refused to let then in.
    The Govenor who is in charge of her state national gaurd did not call them up till late in the week, then went on to blame Bush for sending them all to Iraq. Kinda funny since a large portion of them were actually in her own state.
    Last edited by CSL; 01-03-2006 at 01:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jorismo
    I must say I'm quite surprised I don't hear anybody talking about the London bombings. I would be scared as hell if it happenend over here...
    well on the level of terrorist attacks, it didnt do all that much damage, didnt kill a huge amount of people and only really had a effect for a couple of weeks to a month.

Thread Information