Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Today's autocross

Today's autocross

Hey, I just went home from autocross competition in Buzharovo near Moscow. Unfortunately, though we were there in time (even earlier), the event began before stated time, and we missed almost whole UAZ race, so I just have couple pics of UAZ's after the race. But yes, we've seen buggies and ZIL's (honestly, ZIL race was a subject of my coming out there). I don't know whether anywhere else but former USSR you would see truck cross.

The first run was held on buggies equipped with domestic engines up to 1600cc with carburettor, several of which were Wankel-engined. I couldn't choose a good place to take shots, so these pics are a bit 'far away', though made with zoom. Sorry for this.

First two pics show an autocross-prepared UAZ. I don't have any specs yet, but hope will get them somewhere soon.
    The third and the fourth are kids' race - they drove special little buggies. The youngest driver in this class was 5 years old .
    Attached Images Attached Images

Now the 'serious' buggies The last two shots here show VAZ Wankel engine put in one of the cars.

And the trucks. The first truck cross race was held in USSR in 1949, and the cars which ran today, ZIL 130, race since 1963. Twice truck cross was forbidden ('trucks should carry the cargoes, and not fight on the track'), but finally since 1994 the championship takes place every year.
    These ZIL's use modified 7-liter V-8 engine from far fifties. It's not being lightened, as reliability plays bigger part then weight. Power is increased from basic 180hp to 230-240hp, depending on a car (regulations are not so strong and the cars can differ seriously even within one team) - it's not maximum, but meets autocross demands very well. Such engines request 98 fuel (they're petroleum, not diesels). Reaching 100km/h in 8 seconds, the 4500kg cars can run 150km/h. The tray is lightened and equipped with a massive safety frame. Some drivers apply a second frame into their cabins. Tyres (6 per a car) are being prepared by drivers themselves - they simply cut them with knives or whatever they may use.
    Suspension is heavily modified, too. Instead of basic shock absorbers and springs the ones from more heavy or even military vehicles can be used (BTR-80 armored troop carrier, for example), but some guys apply 2-3 basic shock absorbers to each wheel. The car frame is basic, as well as many other parts of construction. 5-step gearboxes are used on them, and all of the trucks are RWD, so they can easily go sideways. What about dimensions..well, it's far from compact - 6000mm length, 2350mm and 2500mm width and heigth accordingly and the wheelbase is 3800mm.
    Last edited by faksta; 02-04-2008 at 12:37 AM.

More trucks. To be mentioned, a close fighting on a track is a common thing here, so most cars look kind of injured.

More trucks.

And some after race ZIL shots. Car #145 could give me a ride on a track today after the event, but it was wrecked during a race, so obviously the team refused to do this. Pity...
    Maybe later I'll get the video shot by us at the event, so I'll be able to upload it somewhere.
    All comments would be greatly appreciated
    Last edited by faksta; 02-03-2008 at 08:08 AM.

Great stuff. That must have been quite a spectacle.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    Great stuff. That must have been quite a spectacle.
    Thanks. Yeah, watching four-and-a-half ton truck going sideways side by side with another two is really a spectacular thing

thats really very cool, although radically different than americn autocross. looks much closer to ralleycross
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    thats really very cool, although radically different than americn autocross. looks much closer to ralleycross
    Well, here rally-cross differs from cross by having a tarmac sectors. Also rally-cross cars should be much more powerful than cross ones, but as far as I know almost no one in Russia builds rally-cross cars, and all the races are being held on cross cars.
    I've seen what you mean after an American autocross - something like slalom, right?

yeah, very slalom like.

me doing american style AutoX:

Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Yep, I remember the pic.
    Then I was right First time I've seen it on Factory Five Racing DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by faksta View Post
    Thanks. Yeah, watching four-and-a-half ton truck going sideways side by side with another two is really a spectacular thing
    Indeed, that must have been a wild thing to see. Nice pics btw.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

Quote Originally Posted by fisetdavid26 View Post
    Indeed, that must have been a wild thing to see. Nice pics btw.
    Thanks

Wow, that is a lot of awesome. Thanks for sharing! The cargo section is called the tray by the way.

Thread Information