Go to Ultimatecarpage.com

Go Back   Ultimatecarpage.com forums > Automotive forums > General Automotive

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-08-2009, 06:20 PM
Enthusiast

Scotland, UK
McLaren MP4-12C

It's official:

McLaren MP4-12C (2011): the first official P11 story | Automotive & Motoring News | Car Magazine Online

Key Points
Chassis: Carbon MonoCell
Weight: around 1300 kg (official number not given)
Engine: Twin Turbocharged 3.8 V8 designed 100% by McLaren Automotive
Dry sump
Flat-plane crank
8500 rev limit
Horsepower: "around 600 bhp"
Torque: 443lb ft
Gearbox: Twin Clutch SSG (Seamless Shift Gearbox)

Photos aren't specifically High Resolution, yet. If someone has access to Hi-Res pics, feel free to contribute.

Seems like a Gallardo/458/911 Turbo opponent. Typically McLaren, uses carbon chassis and more sophisticated solutions than the competition.

Should not be compared to the F1 in any way.

If this is the mid-range McLaren, what are they going to do with the top of the range? These chaps always amaze us....

BTW... What's with the name? What does it mean anyway? Did they have a 12B???? Name is the only flaw of the car. But it's a nice mail password....

Last edited by lightweight; 09-08-2009 at 06:25 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:34 PM
Flat Out

Kyushu
Send a message via AIM to cmcpokey Send a message via MSN to cmcpokey
looks pretty weak if you ask me. the F1 was so beautiful, and this is so blah.

and yeah, MP4-12C just rolls off the tongue.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:45 PM
Enthusiast

Scotland, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
looks pretty weak if you ask me
I know what you mean. I would say that it is neutral, it doesn't make a statement like the Lambos do.

But I love the technical details:
- First time any car has ever featured a one-piece carbon fibre structure (they (all were multi-piece assembled)

- Lowest CO2 to horsepower of any vehicle currently in the market (including petrol diesel hybrids)

- Brakes with forged aluminium hubs save 8 kg and weigh less than optional carbon ceramic brakes

- The engine cooling radiators were mounted at the rear, as close to the engine as possible, to minimize the pipework, the fluids contained within them, and therefore weight. They were also mounted in car line to minimize vehicle width
Old 09-08-2009, 06:47 PM
Furniture

Barcelona
Send a message via MSN to Ferrer
Stupid flappy paddle gearbox...
Old 09-08-2009, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

Deerfield Beach, Florida
Send a message via MSN to Niko_Fx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
This.

Another car to add to my "If I had the money I wouldn't buy it" list....
Old 09-08-2009, 08:17 PM
Enthusiast

Los Angeles, CA
The Mac F1 cost about a million dollars (just under what a Veyron costs) almost 15 years ago and each was hand made. They also used a lot of BMW sourced electrical and switchgear. Now Mac is talking about building a large series production car that shares no components with any other car, for less than $300K. I'm sure the car will be fast and fun to drive, and fir the first year or two it will sell well, but just wait until they have to deal with QC issues and warranty claims. I don't predict long term success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
I knew you were going to say that.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:56 PM
Supporting Admin

Rozenburg
Send a message via MSN to Wouter Melissen
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post
The Mac F1 cost about a million dollars (just under what a Veyron costs) almost 15 years ago and each was hand made. They also used a lot of BMW sourced electrical and switchgear. Now Mac is talking about building a large series production car that shares no components with any other car, for less than $300K. I'm sure the car will be fast and fun to drive, and fir the first year or two it will sell well, but just wait until they have to deal with QC issues and warranty claims. I don't predict long term success.
Don't underestimate McLaren. It is a very big company, not just another small company trying to make a sports car. I have never heard of any problems with the current SLR. McLaren also makes all the ECUs for the current F1 cars so I am sure they can handle the electronics of a road car.
If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)
Old 09-09-2009, 06:49 AM
Enthusiast

Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
Don't underestimate McLaren. It is a very big company, not just another small company trying to make a sports car. I have never heard of any problems with the current SLR. McLaren also makes all the ECUs for the current F1 cars so I am sure they can handle the electronics of a road car.
First, the SLR had the electronics from a MB SL, what one would call 'tried and true'. Second, F1 cars and road cars are two totally different animals: the electronics in an F1 car only need to work for about four hours and afterwards can be rebuilt with little regard for cost, electronics in a street car need to work for years and need to be inexpensive enough to fix that dealers and customers can pay for it.

What it comes down to is this: People think it's easy to do what Ferrari does, but it's not.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:03 AM
Super Moderator

St Marys Western Sydney
Send a message via MSN to fpv_gtho
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post
First, the SLR had the electronics from a MB SL, what one would call 'tried and true'. Second, F1 cars and road cars are two totally different animals: the electronics in an F1 car only need to work for about four hours and afterwards can be rebuilt with little regard for cost, electronics in a street car need to work for years and need to be inexpensive enough to fix that dealers and customers can pay for it.

What it comes down to is this: People think it's easy to do what Ferrari does, but it's not.
I dont think the task is going to be any harder than it would for someone like Koennigsegg for instance.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:58 PM
Enthusiast

Scotland, UK
I now realise that McLaren are the carbon fibre pioneers:

First Carbon F1 chassis: MP4/1
First ever Carbon r0ad car chassis: McLaren F1
First ever single piece road car Carbon Chassis: MP4-12C (Also the first in its segment with carbon chassis)
Old 09-08-2009, 07:14 PM
Enthusiast

Auckland, NZ
Send a message via MSN to Roentgen
Looks like some small company's one-off car. Definitely not "look" the price tag and name. Kinda disappointed really... expected this to be an incredible car, and well... the original McLaren looks way better.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:15 PM
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to Ferrari330P4
Looks like the cross of an R8 and a Tiburon
Old 09-09-2009, 06:18 AM
Rookie

Here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roentgen View Post
Looks like some small company's one-off car. Definitely not "look" the price tag and name. Kinda disappointed really... expected this to be an incredible car, and well... the original McLaren looks way better.
Yes, it looks like any number of generic supercars that are forgotten after a year because they lost funding. Plus, a little too much Hyundai Genesis in the front end for that price...

EDIT: I think a Le Mans win might win it a few points though!

Last edited by switters78; 09-09-2009 at 06:22 AM.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:34 PM
Furniture

East Coast of the United States
I wonder how some enthusiasts of the original McLaren F1 will think of it. I mean, like others have said, the lack of a manual could be a big issue. But if Gordon Murray thinks it's not necessary, then there has to be a reason behind that.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:37 PM
Enthusiast

Scotland, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
I wonder how some enthusiasts of the original McLaren F1 will think of it. I mean, like others have said, the lack of a manual could be a big issue. But if Gordon Murray thinks it's not necessary, then there has to be a reason behind that.
This is NOT a car to beat the F1. It is placed against Gallardos, 458s and 911 Turbos.