Go to Ultimatecarpage.com

Go Back   Ultimatecarpage.com forums > Automotive forums > General Automotive

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-16-2010, 06:06 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by P4g4nite View Post
Evo mag found that their Z06 couldn't hardly outrun an FQ340 on their track, which is hardly "very tight". Let alone how much quicker the higher spec FQ's might be.
And don't tell me that the little 235 width yokohama advan's that all evolution IX's wear give it a huge traction advantage over the Corvette tyre package.
They probably do. The Corvette's tires are garbage for the kind of performance car they are. Tread block design and the heavier runflat construction count against it. GM finally got the message and went to Michelin, at the expense of dry-weather traction it seems. Ron Fellows cut about 4 seconds off a 1:3x time at Road Atlanta with the Michelin PS2 on a Z06 vs with the stock Goodyears on the same day. When you look at the tread design, you see how compromised the Goodyear Eagle F1's are.

That tread design looks like it belongs on a Buick, not a 500-hp RWD super sportscar.

Thing about fastestlaps.com is that they list only the fastest times for a car on a particular track, which they should for the most part. What those lap times don't tell you is that in that very same test where the Z06 set that time, the FQ340 was also present, but not on the Advans:
"We're puzzled by its time of 1:26.85, over 2 seconds slower than this same car managed against the RS4 and Carrera 4, until we realised that the car was now fitted with ordinary-looking Yokohamas rather than semi-slick A046s..."

The Z06 in question was also brand new with around 300 miles. They figured with a fully bedded-in engine, it would be faster.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:18 AM

Ozland
I apologize for trollbaiting and commend the civil corrections posted in reply.

A look at the Corvette's lap list shows that it is indisputably among the fastest things on the road.

Don't ban me, I was just in a shitty mood the other day.

http://www.nuerburgring.de/fileadmin/webcam/webcam.jpg <Live cast from the 'Ring.