Go Back   Ultimatecarpage.com forums > Automotive forums > General Automotive

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-12-2010, 09:27 AM
Furniture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
Disagree. Strongly.
We have discussed this many times.

I am genuinely curious and not sure how you will answer this. Do you think the 80s was better in terms of cars than the 60s, 70s, 90s, or 00s?
Old 05-12-2010, 09:43 AM
Furniture

Barcelona
Send a message via MSN to Ferrer
I don't think it was better (or worse). Just that it was a good decade that's usually heavily underrated.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:44 AM
Enthusiast

Moscow, Russia
Send a message via MSN to faksta
I agree with the fact that in eighties new technologies lived together with different makes' mentalities, but at the same time many manufacturers lost their charm then (how many 80s Alfa Romeo, Lamborghini or Maserati would you love to have?). While thinking over the question in a title I tried to remember which car from the eighties I would like to have. I did not remember many great cars.

Many sportscars looked like transformers from the cartoons (hi, KITT!), while the more ordinary cars have been cheapened more and more with black or grey plastics everywhere and, sadly, finger-wide holes between the bodypanels.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator

nr Edinburgh, Whisky-soaked Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by faksta View Post
Ah..my year of birth isn't known for any outstanding creations, at least for me
Alpine GTA 'Mille Miles' ? ( Shame you missed the wide-bodied Le Mans in 1990 )
Old 05-12-2010, 09:58 AM
Furniture

Barcelona
Send a message via MSN to Ferrer
Alfa Romeo? The 80's were arguably the last of the great ones. They had the glorious V6, and they were still available with rear wheel drive. The 75 was a weirdly styled car, but what a great sports saloon. And the GTV was the same but in good looking clothes. Even the Spider was a proper sportscar compared to today's car.

As for Lamborghini, I want a Countach. Yes, it driove poorly, but it was absolutely Lamborghini. It was excess any way you looked at it. Makes the current Murcielago look like a Volkswagen Polo. And there was no need to worry about Audi putting four wheel drive in you italian supercar, because by then no one thought you needed four wheel drive.

Maserati? Yes, the 80's was a dark period which should be better be forgotten. Not everything could be perfect I guess.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:02 AM
Fanatic

Modena
Quote:
Alfa Romeo? The 80's were arguably the last of the great ones. They had the glorious V6, and they were still available with rear wheel drive. The 75 was a weirdly styled car, but what a great sports saloon. And the GTV was the same but in good looking clothes. Even the Spider was a proper sportscar compared to today's car.

As for Lamborghini, I want a Countach. Yes, it driove poorly, but it was absolutely Lamborghini. It was excess any way you looked at it. Makes the current Murcielago look like a Volkswagen Polo. And there was no need to worry about Audi putting four wheel drive in you italian supercar, because by then no one thought you needed four wheel drive.

Maserati? Yes, the 80's was a dark period which should be better be forgotten. Not everything could be perfect I guess.
80's and 90's make for cheap Maseratis. Not as good as present or former models, but I've always had a soft spot for them. Rust included.
Do love the Quattroporte mkIV

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*
Old 05-12-2010, 10:10 AM
Enthusiast

Moscow, Russia
Send a message via MSN to faksta
I also like the Countach, but the early one - clearly wedge shaped and sporty.

I'd say, eighties were the years when quantity was more important than quality, but maybe it's just because I dislike those years generally, not only in terms of cars. The only thing why would I love to wake up in eighties is to see the flatout Gr.B or Gr.C racing, I guess.

Speaking about the Alpine, I would also prefer the earlier cars like the A106, A108 or A110. It's just me being a retro lover

Last edited by faksta; 05-12-2010 at 10:12 AM.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:13 AM
Supporting Member

Rozenburg, Holland
1989 also gave us Godzilla.....
Old 05-12-2010, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

For the first time I've wanted to be younger
Where are all the 15-year olds ?
Renault Espace F1
Formula One performance and carry 3 passengers !!!!
Old 05-12-2010, 11:22 AM
Enthusiast

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe.
I'd like to have an M3 becuase of that fantastic inline 6.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:14 PM
Fanatic

Perth, Australia
I agree pretty much entirely with Ferrer on the 80s and Alfa in the 80s thing. So yea.. what he said.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:35 PM
Furniture

East Coast of the United States
Quote:
They may not be clasically beautiful, but there were good looking cars in the eighties, and at least they were unique.

Also not only homologations specials were fast, but regular cars too. In the eighties many new technologies were popularised and cars were still light and people not concerned about being too green.

And finally, in the 80's you could still find a lot variety and manufacturers which were still true to their principles. The cars from each manufacturer were unique and distinct from each other. And that's something that is missed today.
Although I agree with some of the things you say, I think the 1980s was also the downfall of the British marques. I am no expert, but I think Rover at that time was badge engineering a whole bunch of Hondas.

But as a whole, yes, the 1980's was still a diverse era.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

Rover was only ONE British marque.
Jaguar, Rolls Royce, Bentley, TVR, Morgan, Lotus, Marcos, Westfield, Caterham, et al still ahd a few to add to the list Aston gave us the Lagaonda tho; so can't be all good

Rover Honda tie up was also one of the best things to happen, but in typical Brit style we managed to f*** that up too !
Old 05-12-2010, 05:58 PM
Fanatic

Perth, Australia
My first car was an 80s Rover.. a series 2 SD1 eith EFI. Great car.. when it was working.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:17 PM

Ozland

1983 930 Flachbau

http://www.nuerburgring.de/fileadmin/webcam/webcam.jpg <Live cast from the 'Ring.