Go to Ultimatecarpage.com

Go Back   Ultimatecarpage.com forums > Automotive forums > General Automotive

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-13-2010, 05:16 PM
Furniture

Barcelona
Send a message via MSN to Ferrer
I think he could have a point. Cars don't have a soul or character per se. But the people who designed them did.

And that in the end is what matters the most. See, you are in Germany. Everything is very clean, everything is where it should be, everything is very nice. But you don't really want go there, you don't enjoy it that much. Yes it's perfect, but perfection can't make up for the lack of interest.

However, when you go to Italy, nothing is where it should be, it's complete and utter chaos and you can't never find anything. But, despite being actually rubbish, it's a lovely place. You are fond of it, and you always regret it when you have to leave.

And the cars of each country reflect this, the sould and passion of their inhabitans. Alfa Romeos may not have character or soul, but Italians surely do, and that's why in a way Alfa Romeos do as well.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:00 PM
Furniture

Western Sydney, Australia
Send a message via MSN to whiteballz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
And that in the end is what matters the most. See, you are in Germany. Everything is very clean, everything is where it should be, everything is very nice. But you don't really want go there, you don't enjoy it that much. Yes it's perfect, but perfection can't make up for the lack of interest.
My girlfriend disagrees - She loved Germany - As I always have.

Quote:
However, when you go to Italy, nothing is where it should be, it's complete and utter chaos and you can't never find anything. But, despite being actually rubbish, it's a lovely place. You are fond of it, and you always regret it when you have to leave.
Don't know if she would agree on that one either

Quote:
And the cars of each country reflect this, the sould and passion of their inhabitans. Alfa Romeos may not have character or soul, but Italians surely do, and that's why in a way Alfa Romeos do as well.
I agree whole heartedly.

Dick
Old 05-13-2010, 07:00 PM
Fanatic

Perth, Australia
I'm of the opinion that the cars inherit the character and soul of their creators, and therefore they do have one... if we (the owners) choose to imbue them with one. Essentially, if we believe that our machinery have souls, they do.. and most usually the characteristics of their inception shine through to effect the biggest effect on the soul that comes forth.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:04 PM
Enthusiast

Wishing I was in Moscow, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimento View Post
I'm of the opinion that the cars inherit the character and soul of their creators, and therefore they do have one... if we (the owners) choose to imbue them with one. Essentially, if we believe that our machinery have souls, they do.. and most usually the characteristics of their inception shine through to effect the biggest effect on the soul that comes forth.
I almost didn't follow that but I don't think I could have said it any better. Anyone follow the Xanth series of novels by Piers Anthony? I figure souls work that way, which means (some) cars do have soul.

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis
Old 05-13-2010, 10:49 PM
Enthusiast

Way Down South
What happened to Year-Of-Birth cars... how did this become a metaphysics & automobiles thread?

Cars (or any inanimate object) have souls anthropomorphically projected on them by humans, who for some reason enjoy such comforts.
Inexplicably, even Germans do it.
'68 911T Targa Sporto
'68 Mercedes 280 SL
'62 BMW 700 Sport
'63 BMW 700 Cabriolet
'72 BMW 3.0CSL
'72 BMW 3.0CSA
'70 914/6 GT
Old 05-13-2010, 11:12 PM
Furniture

Barcelona
Send a message via MSN to Ferrer
I don't disagree that Germans, or even Asiatic cars in general have souls, I didn't mean to imply that with my previous post. But, for me it's the wrong kind of character. Well, maybe wrong is not the correct word, maybe uninteresting. I'm sure this also has to do with the fact that I'm a latin, and as such completely understand italians and feel very much at home when I am there.

And to go on-topic again, from 1986 I also quite fancy an Alfa Romeo 75 Turbo.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:50 AM

Ozland
I'd replace "soul" with "personality".

http://www.nuerburgring.de/fileadmin/webcam/webcam.jpg <Live cast from the 'Ring.