Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Gen IV V8

oh their cheaper then that nowdays their about 210 now (only that muchill have 2) but my old boss said that mitsu will not offer a v8 in thir current model and likly never will but if you mod one i think itll do great. And ive heard stories about a proposed hemi in the cross fire (fingers crossed) and apparently hedinberger has laid ground work down for a new torana but hes planning onmakeing it a luxuary car (i dont like that idea) hes aiming at audis and small BMWs as its market. I Think mitsubishi could make somthing liek a charger if they put their mind to it drop the 4.5 liter SOHC v8 in a 2 door magna thatll be a good car IMO.

its apitty that chrysler on had the 6 cylinder "Hemi" engines in the aust chryslers and not the Hemi v8s....it makes you wonder what the beancounters where thinking when making descions like that

Well our 6 cyl hemis went even true hemis there are a few companys makeing them now though very good heads apprently. And im guessing that would be american bean counters makeing them decisions.
    My old man said if we won lottoe hed buy a Dodge viper. Ive got dibs on an ew GT if that ever happens

well they got the name "hemi" due to there hemisphericaly designed head that made good air/fuel flow, not to mention a strong bottom end. If it wasnt for a bungled pit stop in 1972 a valiant charger 265 would of crossed the line in first posistion instead of third. someone in the pit crew decided to put stone cold nuts when doing the tyre change instead of using the warm ones which came off the car and offcourse it instanly buggered up the thread of the bolts and cost them any chance of winning the race.

Well my old man said they were muchlike the clevland heads their a semi-hemi.
    Well the chryler fans have trouble never winning bathurst especially when their car was mid way between the torana and HO forprice and was fater then the torrie and accelrrated faster then the HO.

well i guess its a question of why didnt ford or holden ever put a big block V8 in a hardtop or Monaro? i guess valiant at the time thought the 265 was enough in the charger and they were right.

if i was gunna buy a viper though, i'd hold out until chrysler brings in the new batch, not only have they got more power and torque but i'd expect the interior to be easier to live with
    I am the Stig

apparantly in nz the e49s cleaned everyone up in the races held there cause of there tight tracks, they still raced them up until 1979, in certain catagories with great success.

well those chargers wouldve been considered a closer rival to the XU-1 toranas than the GT falcons, even though all 3 were practically the best coming from ford, holden and valiant. the short wheelbase and lightweight would definately benefit the charger on a twisty coarse
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by SHAKER
    well all the holdens 6s and 8s are dinosaurs really.....pushrod/2 valves per cylinder, inferior irs,.....and they still sell shitloads.i guess most people are nieve
    I know this is a bit late coming but Ive been otherwise occupied. Yes they still sell shitloads. Thats becasue despite wht you think of what you have heard and read about the technology. It still works brilliantly. So rather than design bulky OHC gear to answer a problem that doesnt exist, GM has stuck with a technology that works. GM are not desingning the Gen4 with pushrods to save money. Look at the proposed developement of the twin cam pushrod design. The must believe in it.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

they must be believing in something out there cause alot of people have been turning their nose up at the twin cam pushrod idea. i told one of my mums friends who is a die hard GM fan about them bringing out the twin cam motor, and his response was "why dont they just invest in a DOHC motor??"
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    they must be believing in something out there cause alot of people have been turning their nose up at the twin cam pushrod idea. i told one of my mums friends who is a die hard GM fan about them bringing out the twin cam motor, and his response was "why dont they just invest in a DOHC motor??"
    Im sure GM have plenty of OHC motors within their group of companies to choose from. It is not exactly new technology. Who are these people who turn their nose up at the twin cam pushrod idea? Distant relatives of those who belived the world was flat, those who said man was not meant to fly or that we would never send a man to the moon? They may even have been related to the people who would no doubt have originally shitcanned the OHC idea. I'll wait for the result before I judge. Remember they probably would like it to fit under the bonnet of the Corvette so they will want the motor compact. No room for tacked on bonnet bulges here.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

theyve got the 4.6L northstar V8 in some cadillac SUV's. it still doesnt change the point of CM endlessly trying to string every little thing out of a pushrod engine when everyone else ignores the design.
    I am the Stig

ok ok.....just a minute.......a twin cam pushrod engine?....i assume its a "v6, v8" configuration, so its not an ohc design but a conventional design with the 2 cam shafts on either side of the crank, each lifting the pushrods for theyre own respective cylinder banks? am i close here?

nowhere near close. crank and 2 camshafts, all stacked vertically, theoretically one controlling intake valves, the other controlling exhaust. that allows for cam phasers to effectively be used
    I am the Stig

cant picture it, any diagrams of it?

Thread Information