Go to Ultimatecarpage.com

Go Back   Ultimatecarpage.com forums > General forums > Website discussion


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-19-2019, 12:41 AM
Wouter Melissen's Avatar
Wouter Melissen Wouter Melissen is offline
Supporting Admin
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 9,529
Rozenburg
Send a message via MSN to Wouter Melissen
All new mid-engined Corvette Stingray revealed ...

A mid-engined Corvette has been the subject of much speculation for many years, and now it has finally arrived; the eighth generation Chevrolet Corvette Stingray. It is built around a backbone chassis, which features a naturally aspirated V8 engine that, crucially, is mounted amidships. An evolution of the existing LT2 unit, the Stingray's new V8 is good for 494 bhp. This power is transferred to the rear wheels through an eight-speed, dual clutch Tremec automatic gearbox. Tipping the scales, dry, at just 1,530 kg, the entry-level Corvette can sprint to 100 km/h in less than 3 seconds. The exterior design is clearly an evolution of the C7 generation, which means the new mid-engined machine is still instantly recognisable as a Corvette. The interior is sculpted around the driver and features the latest in gadgets and creature comforts. The Corvette Stingray will be available to customers later this year as a 2020 model. At the launch, the only optional package available is the Z51, which features performance upgrades like larger wheels and brakes. What is perhaps most remarkable of all is that the new and hugely capable Corvette will have a sticker price of less than $60,000.

Enjoy the links:

2020 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray - Images, Specifications and Information
__________________
If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-19-2019, 07:20 AM
NSXType-R's Avatar
NSXType-R NSXType-R is offline
Furniture
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 11,617
East Coast of the United States
I'm not sure what to make of a mid engined Corvette. Definitely makes it seem more upscale, but did we even ask for an upscale Corvette in the first place?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-19-2019, 11:58 AM
Kitdy's Avatar
Kitdy Kitdy is offline
Furniture
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,074
The first automotive product launch I have watched since... I cannot recall.

It ain't exactly pretty, but I am sure it will be an absolute peach. A big step for the General. Very cool.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-19-2019, 04:57 PM
f6fhellcat13's Avatar
f6fhellcat13 f6fhellcat13 is offline
Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,225
└A & Connecticlump
Send a message via AIM to f6fhellcat13 Send a message via MSN to f6fhellcat13
This will certainly be interesting to watch. I definitely skew FR in my tastes, but I'm glad to see GM going out on a limb.
__________________
"Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
"No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-21-2019, 03:08 AM
NSXType-R's Avatar
NSXType-R NSXType-R is offline
Furniture
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 11,617
East Coast of the United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
This will certainly be interesting to watch. I definitely skew FR in my tastes, but I'm glad to see GM going out on a limb.
I agree. MR just screams high maintenance to me and difficult to access parts. FR sounds much more plebeian and accessible. I remember going to a small car show where I overheard the owner of a Ferrari 550 Maranello was talking about his purchase. He bought it brand new and basically forked over the price of a house to the dealer. Yet he mentioned that he can still do some basic maintenance on his own much more easily just because it's front engined and not mid engined.

That being said, front engined isn't the end all be all, look at the 300ZX. Front engined doesn't mean anything, nothing's accessible. But, I'd assume on a C7 gen Corvette and prior, it shouldn't be rocket science.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-27-2019, 09:32 AM
Ferrer's Avatar
Ferrer Ferrer is offline
Furniture
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 33,277
Barcelona
Send a message via MSN to Ferrer
Since I can't handle a spanner I wouldn't buy a car based on mechanical accessibility.

Having said that, a mid-engined Corvette feels... wrong.
__________________
Lack of charisma can be fatal.
Visca Catalunya!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-28-2019, 05:25 AM
f6fhellcat13's Avatar
f6fhellcat13 f6fhellcat13 is offline
Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,225
└A & Connecticlump
Send a message via AIM to f6fhellcat13 Send a message via MSN to f6fhellcat13
I was talking to a friend last night and he brought up and interesting point: all of the boomers who squirreled away a few shekels each paycheck (while their employers saved for their retirement...) to buy their dream Corvette have already done so or died. In the succeeding generations (X, Y, and Z), the Corvette is stigmatized as crude, uncouth, and, worst of all, a General Motors product. I feel like that is unfair to the Corvette and it will certainly never shed that last point, but I certainly can't see myself in one. However, this seems like a golden opportunity to reinvent the Corvette for new clientele and I wish them all the best.

To NSX's point: I think the fix-it-with-a-hammer philosophy will go with the Boomers; access will certainly prove a pain, but tinkerers from our generation have shown plenty of willingness to electronically do what their forebears did with carb jets and busted knuckles.

I, however, am a dinosaur and think that the C6 Z06 with seven liters, six speeds, and five hundred horses is the apogee.
__________________
"Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
"No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-28-2019, 10:59 AM
Ferrer's Avatar
Ferrer Ferrer is offline
Furniture
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 33,277
Barcelona
Send a message via MSN to Ferrer
Agree with the 427 C6 Z06.

I can see your point, however I am not really sure if they will succeed with it. They did try it with Cadillac and failed miserably. A Cadillac will never be a German sports saloon in the same way that a Corvette will never be an Italian thoroughbred no matter how mid-engined it is.

Of the three pony cars / muscle cars my favourite is the Challenger. Why? Because it doesn't try to be what it is not. Instead it embraces its Americanness proudly. I like that.
__________________
Lack of charisma can be fatal.
Visca Catalunya!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-28-2019, 11:53 AM
f6fhellcat13's Avatar
f6fhellcat13 f6fhellcat13 is offline
Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,225
└A & Connecticlump
Send a message via AIM to f6fhellcat13 Send a message via MSN to f6fhellcat13
I'm not quite as retrograde as you. I think the Challenger is a pretty-lazy mishmash of parts (true to muscle-car heritage, I'll admit) that isn't particularly evocative because it sets its sights so low. I find the Mustang compelling because it's managed to adapt while still being quintessentially a Mustang.

As long as a Corvette has a burbling V8, I don't think there's any chance it'll be mistaken for anything eye-talian. I also don't think they're necessarily pitching it as such. Like I said: it ain't for me, but it never really was. Seeing a company as stodgy as GM taking a risk like this buoys me spirits for the future. I think Cadillac went too heavy on the bullshit; trying to copy the premiumness without adequately backing it up. Get your Nurburgring times the **** outta here...
__________________
"Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
"No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-28-2019, 02:44 PM
NSXType-R's Avatar
NSXType-R NSXType-R is offline
Furniture
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 11,617
East Coast of the United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
Since I can't handle a spanner I wouldn't buy a car based on mechanical accessibility.

Having said that, a mid-engined Corvette feels... wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
I was talking to a friend last night and he brought up and interesting point: all of the boomers who squirreled away a few shekels each paycheck (while their employers saved for their retirement...) to buy their dream Corvette have already done so or died. In the succeeding generations (X, Y, and Z), the Corvette is stigmatized as crude, uncouth, and, worst of all, a General Motors product. I feel like that is unfair to the Corvette and it will certainly never shed that last point, but I certainly can't see myself in one. However, this seems like a golden opportunity to reinvent the Corvette for new clientele and I wish them all the best.

To NSX's point: I think the fix-it-with-a-hammer philosophy will go with the Boomers; access will certainly prove a pain, but tinkerers from our generation have shown plenty of willingness to electronically do what their forebears did with carb jets and busted knuckles.

I, however, am a dinosaur and think that the C6 Z06 with seven liters, six speeds, and five hundred horses is the apogee.
Is there anything wrong with buying a GM product? I may not like their other car offerings, but let's not kid ourselves here, people buy the Corvette for modification potential and cheap speed. I also believe a mid engined Corvette is an odd choice, even if Duntov had designed one at some point. People always compared the Corvette to the 911 and one of the main advantages of the Corvette was always the low cost to buy in, maintenance costs, accessibility and potential to wrench on it yourself. Making the only Corvette available a mid engined car negates all these benefits, even if the price to buy in is just as low as ever. GM's other excuse was that they're doing it because they've exhausted all racing potential from the FR platform, but I also think that's quite a convenient excuse.

I would have had no problem if Chevy built a "Duntov" edition above this Corvette and started it at $100,000, maybe even if they called it a Cadillac. I will forever associate the Corvette as cheap, accessible speed in a FR chassis.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-28-2019, 03:16 PM
Ferrer's Avatar
Ferrer Ferrer is offline
Furniture
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 33,277
Barcelona
Send a message via MSN to Ferrer
Quote:
Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
I'm not quite as retrograde as you. I think the Challenger is a pretty-lazy mishmash of parts (true to muscle-car heritage, I'll admit) that isn't particularly evocative because it sets its sights so low. I find the Mustang compelling because it's managed to adapt while still being quintessentially a Mustang.
I do not dislike the Mustang, in fact quite the opposite and I also like that they are offering it in Europe, even if it doesn't fit in any roads, streets or parking spaces. Which is quite inconvenient for us.

However I still think that the Challenger is the better muscle car, even if it the worse car. I like that they decided to supercharge it because why not and that it is offered in orange and purple and lime green. Plus you get the benefit to be able to say I drive a Hemi Challenger which sounds just cool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
As long as a Corvette has a burbling V8, I don't think there's any chance it'll be mistaken for anything eye-talian. I also don't think they're necessarily pitching it as such. Like I said: it ain't for me, but it never really was. Seeing a company as stodgy as GM taking a risk like this buoys me spirits for the future. I think Cadillac went too heavy on the bullshit; trying to copy the premiumness without adequately backing it up. Get your Nurburgring times the **** outta here...
Mid-engined and dual clutch gearboxes? It sounds too serious. What is next overhead camshafts? On that I am with NSX, it may be a good car but I am not entirely sure it will be a good Corvette.

Same that happened with Cadillac for the last 15 years or so. They were good cars (even if they lacked the polish of the leading contenders in the class) just not very good Cadillacs. And as such, if you want a BMW you buy a BMW not an American copy from GM. I would forget about all of this handling malarkey and start churning out four door hardtops* (or coupes as they call them now...) with style, panache, confort and infused with Americanness. Everything else in my opinion is a waste of time.

*Oh, and a million SUVs because they are business and need to make money and whatnot...
__________________
Lack of charisma can be fatal.
Visca Catalunya!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
all cars all years 0-60 and 1/4mile time matheus General Automotive 51 04-26-2015 06:29 PM
Chevrolet Corvette (C7) Stingray Z06 2014- Sledgehammer Matt's Hi-Res Hide-Out 34 01-28-2015 02:24 PM
Gran Turismo 5 Sauc3 Gaming 1020 05-19-2014 03:16 PM
nissan gt-r officially released... roosterjuicer General Automotive 207 01-07-2009 03:45 PM
C7 Corvette Mid-Engined? baddabang General Automotive 40 08-28-2007 04:53 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:21 AM.

 

1998 - 2019 Ultimatecarpage.com