Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: 2009 24 Hours of Le Mans (June 13 - 14)

Tréluyer update from DSC

The Luckiest Man In France
    Tréluyer Uninjured After Le Mans Shunt

When the TV cameras focussed on what was left of the #17 Pescarolo Peugeot 908 in the early hours of Sunday morning, there were real fears that a very serious accident had occurred during the 24 Hours; the more so when tarpaulins were erected around the wreckage as the driver was seen to.

Happily, word soon came through that the driver was conscious and, later, that he had no broken bones. This has proven to be fully accurate, with Benoît Tréluyer remarkably having incurred no injury at all during the horrendous crash.

“Despite the contact with the #7 Peugeot in the pits at the beginning of the race, which cost us a lap and a half, a place on the podium was still a realistic opportunity,” he explained.

“We were in fourth after 13 hours of racing with my team mates Jean-Christophe Boullion and Simon Pagenaud and we could maintain a good, consistent pace between 3m29s and 3m33s, depending on the traffic. I feel very sorry for the team who may not be given the same opportunity again, for the mechanics who worked hard all year, for Peugeot who had believed in us and for the sponsors.

“The team had called me back to the pits for a scheduled fuel stop. They also took the opportunity to clean out the side pods, as I was forced to put two wheels on the grass to avoid a GT2 Ferrari. While doing this, the engineers noticed the front splitter was damaged and decided to change it. I knew that the car’s behaviour would change because of this and as I returned to the track, I remained cautious. The car’s balance was good with a little more oversteer than before, but not too much.

“Then I started to get back into a normal rhythm but as I approached the La Forêt curves the car suddenly went light and snapped sideways. I did not have the chance to be slowed down by the gravel trap as the car took off straight away."

During the crash, his car hit the barriers no less than three times before coming to a halt.

“I don’t know what happened,” he continued. “Maybe I should have been more cautious for another lap but the car’s behaviour was fine.

"It was best not to move. I let the rescue team do their job and they put me in an inflatable stretcher before being taken to the medical centre for further checks. I don’t know if I hit the guard rail with the car’s roof or undertray first. The aerials on the car are fine, but the windscreen is broken!”

A definite cause of the accident won’t be known until a full analysis of the telemetry has been assessed.

“We were pacing ourselves nicely. Our pace wasn’t as high as the official Peugeots. We were happy playing the waiting game...”

“Until 4:03am on Sunday morning,” said Henri Pescarolo, “the team were following the progress of our cars with great enthusiasm. Our 908 HDI FAP was then in fourth place with the podium in sight. Jean-Christophe Boullion, who had started the race, Simon Pagenaud and Benoît Tréluyer demonstrated themselves to be just as capable as that of the official team’s drivers. Unfortunately, in the middle of the night, Benoît suddenly left the track and violently hit the railings at Tertre Rouge, for reasons that are still unclear. The impact was very violent, but luckily Benoît came out unhurt. Benoît was fine, but the accident was a huge disappointment for the whole team...”

A very lucky man, then; but Tréluyer will be back in action next Sunday, this time at Sepang in Malaysia for the third round of the Japanese Super GT Championship.
    "Consider all things - the events of your past and the possibilities for tommorow.
    Let nothing stop you from becoming the architect of your future." - Nicholas Hill

Le Mans photos

An eclectic choice of photos. Too many to work out which to photo but these aren't too bad anyway.

[

I'll post more from the Mulsanne straight when I have time.

More photos

Last edited by Wouter Melissen; 06-17-2009 at 01:30 AM.

Any pictures of the Le Mans Legends bit?
    Hopefully you were driving in that so you don't have pics, though.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

I have had the privilege to see the upcoming slideshow. It is worth the wait, and there will be legends included....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Le Mans Legend

Just a few of the 2,500 photos taken this weekend. More later.

Quote Originally Posted by lowdrag View Post
    Just a few of the 2,500 photos taken this weekend. More later.
    That's only just over 100 per hour....
    Can I ask you to use the attachment system, which will guarantee that the pictures stay on this site, and will facilitate the users on slower connections.
    Thanks...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

When you have the camera in continuous mode at 11 frames per second, you end up with a lot of photos! Most of these were taken with the D3 and the 200/400 f4 lens, sometimes with the TC14 converter which takes it out to 280/560 f5.6. Not light but essential for good photos.

Quote Originally Posted by lowdrag View Post
    When you have the camera in continuous mode at 11 frames per second, you end up with a lot of photos! Most of these were taken with the D3 and the 200/400 f4 lens, sometimes with the TC14 converter which takes it out to 280/560 f5.6. Not light but essential for good photos.
    I know, I was teasing, I came home from three days in Spa for the 1000 km with about 6000 shots....most of them taken with a 28-300 (without converter).

If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Thank you W and lowdrag, awesome collection of shots.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

More Le Mans picture

Some good some less so but fun anyway.

[

And more.........

IMG]http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u216/lynxd67/Le%20Mans%202009/DSC_2187.jpg[/IMG]

Thread Information