Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: HP loss at high altitudes

Sid, re the wear v temp graph. Was that taken from a study which altered the oil composition to match the expected running temps ? The main reason cars get wear at lower cylinder temps is the oil is not flowing properly providing the optimal boundary layer for friction reduction because the oil is specified for optimal running temp.
    eg the RX-8 has an oil thermostat to control the oil flow and ensure it gets up to temp as quickly as possible.
    Cooling fan temps between cars can be confusing too as without knowing the measurement point and the coolant flow around the critical cylinder and head it's impossible to say what temp things are really at and why.
    But yes, engine management maps pay close attention to coolant temp as a warning of too much retardation though I suspect now much less so with sophisticated anti-knocking sound sensors and post combustion gas analysis.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Sid, re the wear v temp graph. Was that taken from a study which altered the oil composition to match the expected running temps ? The main reason cars get wear at lower cylinder temps is the oil is not flowing properly providing the optimal boundary layer for friction reduction because the oil is specified for optimal running temp.
    eg the RX-8 has an oil thermostat to control the oil flow and ensure it gets up to temp as quickly as possible.
    Cooling fan temps between cars can be confusing too as without knowing the measurement point and the coolant flow around the critical cylinder and head it's impossible to say what temp things are really at and why.
    But yes, engine management maps pay close attention to coolant temp as a warning of too much retardation though I suspect now much less so with sophisticated anti-knocking sound sensors and post combustion gas analysis.
    If I can remember,

where I found the graph I'll post the link. I've had it for some years now as I used it to show some non-believers why running a 160f thermostat wasn't necessarily a good thing.

Another reason to get to optimal temps as soon as possible is to burn of the condensation and residues in the oil.

thanks, deffo on last comment. Club was advising folks on their website to leave their cars running for 10 minutes to warm up. WTF, you want to warm it up as quick as poss and leaving at idle is not best ( neither is revving until the engine oil is flowing nicely )
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

1000 feet above sea level isn't that high up... If you think about flying a plane, you wouldn't really have to mess with the richness of the fuel mixture at an altitude that low. So I don't think its really anything to worry about.

The OP used Denver as example and I can attest to how gutless normal cars are running around there and then wheezing their way Pikes Peak
    A mile is significant.

pure oxygen

what if you were to put pure oxygen somehow into the engine? how would that effect the performance?

Thread Information