Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Jeep SRT-8

Quote Originally Posted by rev440
    So a focus has more room then a expedition? I dont think so. Did you not read that I said thats one of the only cars on the market he can fit in?
    So, you are saying that he has to buy an SUV because he can't fit in a car, but he has a car that he comfortably fits in.

So if he has a car that he fits in, he doesn't "need" an SUV for that reason.

It wasn't as if he had no other option and he was forced into SUV ownership.

So a focus has more room then a expedition?
    Quote Originally Posted by me
    equivalent cars
    Do you think a Focus is equivalent to an Expedition?

Quote Originally Posted by Geneticfreak
    As far as the whole scandanavian reply, I suppose it would deppend on how affordable suv's are there.
    Not at all.

If people in Scandanavia had a genuine need for these vehicles, companies such as Volvo and Saab would have been building affordable SUVs for many decades to fulfill that need.

They don't because there is no "need".

If you are driving an suv, and you slide off the road,
    If you slide off the road?

whats the point of having a sports car that will go 0-60 in 3 secconds, when will you ever NEED to do that.
    Just because you don't drive on the track, it doesn't mean other people don't.
    Funnily enough having a fast car is somewhat of an advantage.

So why not build a more sporty version of a vehicle that alot of people buy, and drive??
    Why not indeed?

Why mask the genuine reasons for buying one with all this "I'm big and it snows and I need to tow stuff" crap that are the usual arguments people bring up?

so I guesse you could say that it is the middle of the road, with a perfect ballance of off road capability, and track performance.
    The actual phrase you are looking for is:
    "Jack of all trades, master of none"

I still dont think a sports car of equal weight, and similar horse power would do too much better then the srt8 on the track...freak
    Oddly enough, no one builds sports cars that heavy because its a stupid idea...

A sports car with 1/2 the power and 1/3 the weight will easily run circles round it all day long though...

An SUV that weighed as much as a sports car, that would be a good idea.
    Thanks for all the fish

Yeah bottom line is I like suv's. I like them because I am big, and I fit comfortably in them, I can easily get in and out of them, they drive well in the snow, they have more power, more room, they set up higher for better view of things, you can take them off road once in a while or threw some mud, they maintain their resale value, they are built much more durable then other american vehicles, the list goes on and on.

America is a big place with all kinds of weather and turrain. cars do not handle well in the snow at all. People who live in mountainous regions that drive cars are constantly replacing the transmissions, and it puts alot of strain on the motors that dont make enough power at low rpm to propell the weight of the car up steep inclines. there for driving cars and not suv's is not as reasonable. living in an area where it snows alot, and is out in the country often tmes you are forced to drive on unplowed snowy roads. cars do not perform in these conditions at all. there for weather or not you like suv's they are pretty much your only reasonable option.

I love sport cars, and hot rods. I dont own one though because they are not very good every day drivers for the area of the country I live in. So to me the only reasonable option is an suv, so why not have the fastest suv in the world. an suv that will in a straight line outperform most cars on the road.

Also many people perfer rear wheel drive. and people want horse power aswell. all of the sport cars in america are very expensive, there for if you want a vehicle with horsepower that is affordable your going to have to get an suv i most cases. suv's and sport cars are the only rear wheel drive vehicles you can get for the most part. basically if you want horse power in america you can spend a ton of money on a sports car, or you can spend less money on an suv.

America has never really been known for its ability to build and produce sports cars. we build cars that weigh alot, and go fast in a straight line. Other then the viper, and the corrvette, I belive that the srt8 performs right up there with anyother american made sports car, weather its in a straight line, threw teh curves, or braking. That becomes even more impressive when you consider the fact that It is an suv, and that it weighs over 5 thousand pounds.

chargers, camero's, 442's most of those cars 0-60, and quartermile times are slower then that of the srt8. so as far as american sport cars are concerned one could reasonably say that the srt8 does infact perform like a sports car, or perhaps muscle car would be a better way of saying it.

I was really just shocked when I got on this forum, and saw how many people were hating on the srt8. I think its a totally awsome vehicle, a great idea/concept, and hope that they build more and continue to improve them. Hopefully it wont be destroyed by desighners like the durango's, avalanches, and other vehicles over time have been...freak

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    So, you are saying that he has to buy an SUV because he can't fit in a car, but he has a car that he comfortably fits in.

So if he has a car that he fits in, he doesn't "need" an SUV for that reason.

It wasn't as if he had no other option and he was forced into SUV ownership.
    Have you ever tried to tow a trailer with a caddilac? They dont even have a suv anymore they have a diesal truck which your probably dont like either. They tow many things and have a big family and you cant really tow the ski boat with a car. On average my family uses a trailer once a week so we also need a truck or an suv.
    UCP biggest mustang lover

Have you ever tried to tow a trailer with a caddilac? They dont even have a suv anymore they have a diesal truck which your probably dont like either. They tow many things and have a big family and you cant really tow the ski boat with a car. On average my family uses a trailer once a week so we also need a truck or an suv.
    So what are you saying now?

I don't understand your argument at all.

I say people don't need to buy SUV's because of their size

You say you know a guy who is quite large, and fits fine in a car, proving my point that SUV's aren't the only option.

Now your response is that they tow things?

Do you think that people in Europe never need to tow things?

Why don't they all have an Explodition or a Rampage Power XXL Edition?

Why is it that SUV owning Americans think they are the only people on the planet that need to tow things, or have to drive in bad weather?

Do you think that people in Europe don't have big families?

People outside the USA cope fine with these things without needing a huge SUV

Why are they only "needed" in the USA so badly?

The truth is that you don't "need" them.

These reasons are just poor excuses, because people feel the need to justify them, without wanting to admit that they just like SUVs.
    Thanks for all the fish

Do you feel the same way about a truck?

Do you feel the same way about a truck?
    What are you on about now?

I've already said I'm not criticising people for owning them.

I'm trying to understand why people come up with a bunch of pathetic excuses to justify their ownership of these vehicles.
    Thanks for all the fish

Most of the people I know that have suv use the extra cargo capacity. Plus the towing doenst hurt either. I agree that 99.9 percent of the people who have them dont need them but some do. Many people buy the SUV's because theres many famous people who drive the hummer or the escalade so it makes it more apealing to them. Also what car can you fit 7 people in?
    Last edited by rev440; 02-12-2006 at 06:27 PM.

People in other countries dont mind driving minivans or station wagons. In america from teh 50's to the late 70's most families had a station wagon. most families also had a truck, and back in those days your kids could ride in the back of the truck no problem lol. try that now adays and you will find yourself in jail. then more people started to drive mini vans. People didnt like driving minivans, but that was all that was available really besides big luxury cars that families couldnt afford. then the suv's hit the market, and were relatively affordable. all of the sudden families were not stuck driving minivans, and station wagons. all of the sudden they had economical suv's that also had very little off road capabilities. The next thing you know, there were not auto companies producing station wagons, and less and less minivans were being sold

Just about anyone I know would agree that suv's are far superior vehicles to minivans or station wagons. what choice would you make lol. minivan, slow turdly luxury car, Or a v8 powered suv. I feel that is a retorical question...freak

Just about anyone I know would agree that suv's are far superior vehicles to minivans or station wagons. what choice would you make lol. minivan, slow turdly luxury car, Or a v8 powered suv. I feel that is a retorical question...freak
    Unless its a dodge magnum those are sweet.

I'm trying to understand why people come up with a bunch of pathetic excuses to justify their ownership of these vehicles.
    I answered that earlier when I said an SUV has the best available options for my wants and needs.
    I like my cars like I like my women: Fast & Loose

People in other countries dont mind driving minivans or station wagons.
    So, what you are saying is;

No one "needs" to buy an SUV, becasue a Minivan or wagon easily fulfils the same roll.

People just "want" an SUV, rather than a minivan or station wagon.
    Thanks for all the fish

So, what you are saying is;

No one "needs" to buy an SUV, becasue a Minivan or wagon easily fulfils the same roll.

People just "want" an SUV, rather than a minivan or station wagon.
    If you don't mind knee & back problems, don't mind steering with your knees, don't want to tow anything of size and looks aren't a concern to you. Anything will do if you don't care for style, comfort or cost. But as we all know this is not the way it works. All of this proves that an SUV has the best available options for these issues. Call me crazy for wanting to drive comfortably and safe. A happy driver is a safe driver If someone else doesn't mind the previous problems with the station wagons or mini vans, I say the more power to them.

Quote Originally Posted by thestanger
    If you don't mind knee & back problems
    Why is driving a Ford Fusion going to give you knee and back problems rather than driving a Ford Expedition?

Head Room Front/Rear
    Expedition 39.7/ 39.8
    Fusion 38.7/37.8

Shoulder F/R
    Expedition 63.4/ 64.3
    Fusion 57.4/ 56.5

Hip F/R
    Expedition 63.2/ 62.4
    Fusion 54.0/ 53.4

Leg F/R
    Expedition 41.2/ 38.7
    Fusion 42.3/ 37.0

So, unless you're really fat... I wouldn't think that 1" makes a significant difference for people with long backs or legs.

All of this proves that an SUV has the best available options for these issues.
    How does that "prove" anything?

I might as well say; I think blue is the best colour, therefore that proves I'm right, and blue is the best colour.

Call me crazy for wanting to drive comfortably and safe.
    Safe?

You are kidding.

More likely to crash in the first place becasue their ability to stop and go round corners sharply - emergency manouvers - is compromised becasue of their mass and handling abilities (i.e. they don't)

More likely to tip over in a crash.

More likely to cause injury to occupants because most of them are built using very outdated techniques, and simply because of the larger mass and momentum the SUV carries which is transferred to the occupants in a crash
    Thanks for all the fish

I wouldn't think that 1" makes a significant difference for people with long backs or legs.
    It can mean the difference of your legs are interfering with your driving or not. How is that not safer? Also, I would not have to squat to get in an Expidition which saves on the back & knees as well.

How does that "prove" anything? I might as well say; I think blue is the best colour, therefore that proves I'm right, and blue is the best colour.
    I am just saying of you wanted to be able to fit the whole family and tow something fairly heavy it is the best available option out there. If you can prove that blue is the least likely color to get in an accident I would say you are right, blue would be the best color.

More likely to cause injury to occupants because most of them are built using very outdated techniques, and simply because of the larger mass and momentum the SUV carries which is transferred to the occupants in a crash
    My wife was just in an accident a couple of weeks ago and she came out with no injuries other than the normal stiffness anyone would get.

More likely to crash in the first place becasue their ability to stop and go round corners sharply - emergency manouvers - is compromised becasue of their mass and handling abilities (i.e. they don't)
    Refer to previous statement. My wife is driving @ 55mph, someone pulled out in front of her approximately 16 ft away (according to the police report this is when the other driver decided to pull out), she tried to swerve (proven by the skid marks noted in the report) and she did NOT roll over. If you are driving in a normal fashion an SUV is just as safe as any other vehicle out there. Try to take a 15mph corner at 80mph; you are going to roll just about any vehicle.

A station wagon can haul the family but a station wagon is not practical for towing. A mini van can tow some small things on a trailer (i.e. jet skis) but I am hauling a bass boat and on occasion a party boat which a mini van can not tow very well up hills. A normal truck can haul heavy things but can not haul the family very comfortably.

I go with what I know, and what I know is that the SUV has the best available options out there for my wants & needs.

please please palease tell me that you are not trying to say that mini vans, and station wagons are more safe, or handle better then the average suv. and we are talking all road conditions here, ice, snow, rain etc. mini vans are probably just as likely to roll over as an suv, minivans and station wagons do not stop or corner well. station wagons and minivans absolutely suck in the snow, and on icy roads, and they suck on rainy surfaces. so if you are a person who drives in those situations, forget style, the suv is still a winner.

2nd who can deny that they like the styling of the suv if they are an suv driver. since when is there a law against someone driving a car they feel is stylish.

3rd, The srt8 has no stopping problems, and so far I have not noticed any maneuvering problems. the turning radius is not as good as it was in my durango, but thats my only complaint. the srt8 is hopefully the desighn that alot of suv makers will start to follow. an suv that can stop, and can corner relativly well.

after all we are not so much talking about suv's here are we, we are talking about the srt8. I would be willing to bet money that the srt8 handles better, accelerates better, stops better, tows better, and handles better off road than any other factory station wagon, or mini van with possibly the magnum excluded. so why would you choose a mini van, or station wagon over the srt8.

even if you want to put other station wagons, and minivans against other med sized suv's. your still missing one essential piece of the puzzle HORSE POWER. other then the magnum, no mini van, or station wagon comes from the facotry with an appealing horse power number.

So over all, its more then just style as you are claiming. its their all around ability. On top of that, its a sporty vehilce that you can fit your whole family into, and not have to drive a vehicle that is stereotypically for OLD people. SUV's hands down, luxury, somewhat sporty, and can fit the whole family into one...freak

Thread Information