Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Z06 Carbon

Quote Originally Posted by culver View Post
    Starting with the Caddy XLR the MR shocks were used on the lower line Corvettes. The story was they couldn't quite take the abuse expected of a Z51 or higher performance package. However with the C6 ZR1 GM seems to feel the problems (if they ever existed) were addressed thus the MR dampers were used on the ZR1 with reportedly great affect. This will be the second application of these dampers on a high performance Corvette. It will be interesting to see what people think of what is in effect a Z06 with better shocks and tires.
    Interesting since Ferrari is using the same stuff on the 599 and I think the 458 as well....but I am willing to bet the "durability" standard for Ferrari is not as stringent.....

I think Audi also only use this on smaller cars, though that might have to do with the sizing....all the "MagnaRide" product are the same size(piston size) and layout(monotube). So if that size does not work for you you probably won't use it......
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

The MR shocks first came out I think in '03 with the XLR or some other Caddy. For what ever reason it took GM a bit before they felt the shocks were up to the demands of track use hence they didn't show up on the Z51 Corvette. Odds are they were fine for a softer car like the Audi. Heck, odds are good that even the Ferrari doesn't get worked that hard. However it also seems that Delphi seems to think they are up to the task now. I suspect it's not so much that Ferrari has lower standards as it just took a few years to solve the heat issues that you run into with track driving.

MR has a lot of authority on damping control in that they can pretty much clamp down completely on demand, from my understanding they are quite reliable and relatively simple. Not too sure why GM would deem it unfit for track work, but the tuning subtlety for track might be lacking compare to some area of conventionally valved shock....and also perhaps in order to get the "stiff" shock you need to input power to it(up to 4 amp on full stiff per shock), which will have some power draw issue. Maybe the newer one has less power draw with newer piston design or something....

Reading some paper I have on hand it looks like the first application is the 2002 STS...
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

I think the issue was heat breaking down the damping fluid.

to sum up; when ordering a Z06.. you can pick and choose from the entire corvette lineup's parts bin?
    if that's the case, sounds like a great idea.. used to be able to do the same with holden's lineup (stock pov pack berlina with LS1 ftw)
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    to sum up; when ordering a Z06.. you can pick and choose from the entire corvette lineup's parts bin?
    if that's the case, sounds like a great idea.. used to be able to do the same with holden's lineup (stock pov pack berlina with LS1 ftw)
    Berlina? **** that, the best were the 6spd LS1 Execs, with the option being A/C. I'd have bought one, chucked on a CAPA supercharger kit, and had the stock steelies widened (keeping the hubcaps of course).

Actually, imagane the lolz that could be had by buying a GTS, and then swapping all the body panels with Omega ones.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen View Post
    Actually, imagane the lolz that could be had by buying a GTS, and then swapping all the body panels with Omega ones.
    that's a sweet plan
    considering howmany flatcappers you see driving around on their P plates with VE GTS kits on VL-VE v6 commodores, surely the reverse is not that hard..
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

This makes sense, given the underrated nature of the LS9. All of the parts that matter, less a supercharger and a silly window.

So...will it still get flogged around a track by a 4WD lancer?
    Horsepower wins races. Torque pulls trailers.

http://www.nuerburgring.de/fileadmin/webcam/webcam.jpg <Live cast from the 'Ring.

Quote Originally Posted by P4g4nite View Post
    So...will it still get flogged around a track by a 4WD lancer?
    It didn't before and it won't now. The only "lancer" that was close were the very limited edition ~400hp models that were above and beyond even an Evo 9 or Evo 10. Those won only on very tight tracks and with the use of rubber far stickier than the base Corvette comes with.

Evo mag found that their Z06 couldn't hardly outrun an FQ340 on their track, which is hardly "very tight". Let alone how much quicker the higher spec FQ's might be.
    And don't tell me that the little 235 width yokohama advan's that all evolution IX's wear give it a huge traction advantage over the Corvette tyre package.
    Horsepower wins races. Torque pulls trailers.

http://www.nuerburgring.de/fileadmin/webcam/webcam.jpg <Live cast from the 'Ring.

Evo mag found that their Z06 couldn't hardly outrun an FQ340 on their track, which is hardly "very tight". Let alone how much quicker the higher spec FQ's might be.
    And don't tell me that the little 235 width yokohama advan's that all evolution IX's wear give it a huge traction advantage over the Corvette tyre package.
    How can this be, unless it was damp or dusty, or the 'track' had more in common with a tarmac rally stage? Surely the Corvette would nail any Evo in the hands of a professional driver who had the skills to put the power down? I take it this is not the UK Evo mag, as their test track is Bedford autodrome and Im confident the ZO6 would fly past the Evo there.
    Last edited by TheScrutineer; 03-16-2010 at 02:03 AM.

It lost. Deal with it.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Come watch any SCCA autoX in US and see how the Z06 does in really tight space....
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Actually given the very tight chicanes I would argue that that track is rather tight. It does have long straights but it also has very tight corners which would favor AWD. Also what tires etc are we talking about here?

I would point out that Car and Driver's Lightning Lap races has the Corvette doing quite well. The Lancer Evo MR ran a 3:13.3 (2008, 3:13.5 in 2006) vs the slowest Corvette Z51 is 3:09 (just a squeak ahead of the Cayman S that year). Mind you that's the 400hp model, not the newer uprated models. The slowest Z06 is 3:01.1 and the Grand Sport was under 3:00 in 2010.

What does all that prove? Well first it does suggest that tracks can make a difference. Second it also says that just because an Evo beat the Corvette once doesn't mean you should expect it all the time. Having driven an '05 Corvette Z51 and an Evo, there is no way I would take the Evo over the Corvette because it's a hell of a lot more civil to drive.

Also, you quoted runs from different years which is iffy at best. I try to never do that because we don't know about year to year track conditions. Additionally, it is worth noting that the Z06 was right up there with the Ferrari F430 (0.25 seconds off, same year). Perhaps it's a bit disingenuous to act like the Corvette Z06 isn't at all fast.
    Last edited by culver; 03-16-2010 at 07:34 AM.

Thread Information