Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu

Ubuntu

So after downloading Ubuntu the other day, in a surprisingly short time considering the size. I then went and installed it. Along the way having a bit of trouble with Partitioning.

So Now I have Ubuntu and Windows running Parallel to each other.

Having finally got the wireless networking-router/thing to work with Ubuntu, and everything else to work atm its actually a rather decent free operating system. It seems to be a lot more creative than windows systems and many personal touches can be made.

Though I know there are many hiccups still to surface such as installing windows programs and getting the display settings correct for using the dual monitor set-up and getting the dock installation. But it can be done and hopefully when all is completed it will be running perfectly.

So does anyone actually use Ubuntu? Or does anyone have any helpful tips about the running of it?
    Miscommunication seems to be a direct result of misplaced, text based sarcasm.

I've a friend that installed it and used it on his USB stick. Apparently it's good for gaming.. but I don't know of any games that run on it...

Cool, I haven't had it long enough to install games on it but there are a few that come with the OS.

I got the AWN dock working, yay.

Im doing my degree in IT and we use Ubuntu for Programming Operating Systems. Its a good operating system and can be quite interesting when you start messing around with its terminal and so on. There is alot of "Linux nuts" in my class and they all have different theories on the whole Windows vs Linux thing.

My one friend ones read something on the web that I kinda agree with. It explains everything to you in a few words and makes perfect sense! It went something like this:

Windows is easier to use than Linux like shitting your pants is easier than going to the bathroom!"

LOL

I can understand that. In relation to the Toilet, once you get there its much better than shitting your pants. Lol.

Its funny cos windows rolls you up in a ball and just shows the face of a program, making everything a hell of a lot easier and you don't really get to know how anything is working. With linux it takes awhile to set-up everything but once you do it, its brilliant. But you have to understand how it works and what your doing.
    Last edited by #1 Mustang Fan; 10-01-2008 at 01:46 AM.

I've been using Ubuntu for years, currently running it side by side with Vista on my laptop. Which one is easier to use for an average person, I think mainly depends on which one they used and got familiar with first.

I've been thinking of switching to another distro though, as Ubuntu is pretty bloated with stuff that I don't really need. And I woudn't mind having something a bit less common as my OS.

Does anyone know how to use the Emerald theme manager? Its a little confusing and doesn't seem to work.

I have a lot of friends studying Linux at school, and they tried to lure me into the Ubuntu world, always failing, but a couple of weeks ago one of them showed me Kubuntu 8.04 running with KDE 4, and I was absolutely amazed.

I'm currently partitioning my hard drive and will run it side-by-side with Vista SP1.

Anybody knows if Kubuntu/Ubuntu's applications take better advantage of 64-bit capabilities than Windows' do?
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

I am not sure I think its fairly similar though. Partitiioning was a bitch for me but I got it in the end, learning a lot

Anyone know what the difference is between Kubuntu and Ubuntu?

Quote Originally Posted by #1 Mustang Fan View Post
    I am not sure I think its fairly similar though. Partitiioning was a bitch for me but I got it in the end, learning a lot

Anyone know what the difference is between Kubuntu and Ubuntu?
    Kubuntu uses the KDE environment instead of Ubuntu's GNOME.

Obviously Vista is being an asshat and won't let me shrink more than 238MB, even though I have 287GB free on my C: partition. Great. I can't shrink my other two volumes either, both are full... kinda sucks to have more than 1.5TB of hard disk space and not being able to find a miserable 40 to run Kubuntu
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    David says:
    that's what she said

I recently installed another internal HD so I had plenty of space for it.

Is there any advantages to KDE instead of Gnome?

I recently installed another internal HD so I had plenty of space for it.

Is there any advantages to KDE instead of Gnome?
    Great comparison between the two here, with pictures!

KDE and Gnome Comparison
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    David says:
    that's what she said

Interesting, seems as though they are fairly similar anyway. The part about the transparency is odd, I can't find edit, and then the profile menu/s.

Which one are you trying to partition for, Kubuntu or Ubuntu?

Interesting, seems as though they are fairly similar anyway. The part about the transparency is odd, I can't find edit, and then the profile menu/s.

Which one are you trying to partition for, Kubuntu or Ubuntu?
    I'll go with Kubuntu since my Linux crackhead friends all use it, so they can help me out easily if anything goes wrong.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    David says:
    that's what she said

Yeah, I went with Ubuntu cos I didn't know what Kubuntu was...

And my Brother is/was running it. But he had some problems with printers so hes gone back to windows for now.

Thread Information