Thread: Just a suggestion

Auckland, New Zealand & Balikpapan, Indonesia

Just a suggestion

UCP is a great site but i think that UCP can be a REALLY great site if it has chat rooms for the members! do u guys agree wit me?
    "Rejection is better than regret. It's better to try and know you did your part, than to spend the rest of your days wishing you had tried"

maybe

the reason UCP is a forum is because people of all time zones can read what has been posted earlyer, and not just when they are on.

this subject has come up about 5 times since i started viewing UCP, and thats basicaly the right asnwer
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

there is some sort of chat room isnt there? i think DP put it on a post a while back
    UCP's most..erm...person..that ..does that thing?

There definately needs to be a real UCP-based chat system. It's been suggested a few times over the past year, and i'm still a big supporter of the idea. It would be ideal.

Wouter? TrueChaosZ? Maybe look into some javascript-based chat applets?

i know theres some people that have simply made a seperate group for people from UCP on their MSN lists, so from that they just go around collecting everyones address
    I am the Stig

Whiteballz is correct. A chat applet would undermine the purpose of the forums. Despite the different timezones, a forum system offers users to enter all conversations. In a chat, all conversations are lost immediatly.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

I dont think it would undermine the forums at all.

Unless of course, we get some major arseholes causing trouble in the chat room, then it may become a prob.
    UCP's most hardcore skunk

Quote Originally Posted by Fowler
    I dont think it would undermine the forums at all.
    Where we'd lose seomthign in the forums is where it gets technical and answers are shared. Then that knowledge is lost to the rest of UCP - bad
    Pictures have been shared on messenger too - and I've been as guilty - and then everyone else doens't get to see them and they are ONLY there for the furation of the chat.
    No chance to look back and see it again or check a comment or piece of advice.
    Chat has it's place but it then falls on users to remember to cross-post useful stuff. In reality that won't happen so UCP loses out
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Im still all for it despite the possible lostcontent...the discussions that can be had in real time can hardly be replicated in posts...and momentery things arer hard to get in this form too...im mainly all for it so i have an outlet to prattle on rather then in the actual forums....i like to talk and nothing is really lost this way....

Also i dont have MSNand it didnt work when i tryed to use it...i use yahoo messenger....

i don't agree if there's chats people won't come anymore to the forum .... and if you want to speak with menbers just ask if they messenger
    Fun is not a straight line

UCP's only lancia lover ....

I think a chat room would be a great idea. Like Falcon500 said, I also like to talk. I don't think it would effect the forums, I know I would still post on it.
    VIVA FERRARI!!!!!!

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!" ~ Benjamin Franklin

If everything's under control, you're going too slow ~ Mario Andretti

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!" ~ [U]Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: A Savage Journey into the Heart of the American Dream[/U]

I've seen a few chat systems which go on for around four hours at a time on a weekly basis. Something like this could totally complement the forums, without detracting from the content at all.

It seems like that would be a great compromise for both sides of this debate.

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog
    I've seen a few chat systems which go on for around four hours at a time on a weekly basis. Something like this could totally complement the forums, without detracting from the content at all.

It seems like that would be a great compromise for both sides of this debate.
    Umm can we make it twice dayly? rember there are some large time diffrences while this may be still a few people who are left out it increses the oppurtunity to go on this system
    Also prehaps a quote thread in the forums could be used allowing people to save memroable,worthwhile or funny things that are said?

I was kinda thinking about something like...well... maybe a six-hour weekly friday chat, which would be designed to include most of our member base. I'm often up pretty late when a there are still a lot of Europeans and Aussies online. If it was six hours, I'm sure there would be ample time to talk with members from all over the place.

Thread Information