Thread: Radio Help

10 minutes from Lingenfelter's... aren't you jealous?

Radio Help

I drive an '02 Stratus. I also own an iPod. I would like to be able to use the iPod effectively with the car, and I have options.

1) Buy an FM converter. Seems like a good idea, but experience with my friend's (I forget the model, it was a nice one even, like those that have a dock and plugs into a outlet) but the quality was poor and even with the radio and iPod cranked up, it couldn't get loud enough to be heard on interstate driving.

2) Buy a crappy, used radio with a tape deck. After using the FM converter, I tried a cassette adapter in the same car. The result sounded much, much better, accept for with it one speaker crackled all the time, plus it could get loud. The only problem is with this option is I'm afraid I will get a low quality radio. My car has a real nice factory infinity system and sounds wonderful, so I don't want to sacrifice that. Plus, if I sell my current radio, I may actually make money.

3) Buy a nice, new radio. I could then sell my current radio, which I think i could get close to $100 out of, looking at eBay prices, but does anyone know what will happen to my in-dash changer? I'm sure I would loose it's function with a new radio (If this is a dumb question, I apologize.) Could I sell it to make it work with most applicable Dodges?

Thanks in advance.
    .....likes NASCAR

Go for a single-disc CD-player headunit with an AUX IN port. If you have your music on your iPod, why are you bothered about the CD-changer? Even if the CD-player wasn't compatible with the changer, you've lost nothing. The quality would then be the best you could reasonably hope for too.
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

10 minutes from Lingenfelter's... aren't you jealous?
    I'm not really bothered by it, but I would imagine it would be kinda hard to get out, aren't they usually tucked in the dash pretty good? I just didn't know if it would be worth the hastle to take it out.
    .....likes NASCAR

I have am FM transmitter by Monster and it works great. It have great receptin and also charges the ipod for you. It wasn't too expensive and has beena great purchase for me.

Monster - iCarPlay Wireless 200 FM Transmitter for Apple® iPod™ - A IP FM-CH 200
    The McLaren F1- The most fun you can have with your clothes on

"Live Fast, Die Young, and Leave a Good Looking Corpse" -James Dean, weeks before dying in a car crash at the age of 24

Try an FM transmitter that can be positioned somewhere nearer to the aerial.
    With a fron t or rear windscreen pickup then a transmitter down beside the lighter is a bad idea -- lots of electronics and metal to interfere with the signal.

The other option is to go for an adapter that hooks IN to the FM aerial socket on the back of the radio.
    These are excellent.

Best of all have you checked the www for an adaptor to fit your car ?
    You've not said what your car is so can't help ... but this one works on my RX-8 AND controls the iPod from the wheel buttons AND displays the track name on the built-in radio !!!
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 10-09-2007 at 01:30 PM.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    You've not said what your car is so can't help ...
    He said it was a 2002 Stratus in his first post Peter...please read before posting.

I have one of the Kensington FM adaptors - good, but it all goes tits-up if you can't find a clear FM frequency. AUX IN is the way, and a single DIN CD-player with an AUX IN socket isn't too expensive these days...about twice the price of an FM adaptor. Well worth it.

The only reasons I haven't bought a new stereo is that I won't be keeping my cars long and they both have double-DIN radios as standard - it's just not worht doing the conversion if I'm going to sell them ASAP.
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

Quote Originally Posted by Clivey View Post
    He said it was a 2002 Stratus in his first post Peter...please read before posting.
    DOH!
    So 2001-2006 DODGE STRATUS DIRECT iPOD INPUT + AUX INPUT - (eBay item 150075316819 end time Oct-24-07 00:10:51 PDT) will do the job then. Shame it doesn't seem to show the track text, just the number

PS: If you can get a few other owners together then this guy is open to big discounts for multiple purchases away from eBay
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    The other option is to go for an adapter that hooks IN to the FM aerial socket on the back of the radio.
    These are excellent.

Sounds like your best choice.

If you go with a FM transmitter the best quality you could hope for is = FM radio.

If you buy a New head unit, I recommend getting an Alpine . The ergonomics are worlds better than the only other ipod compatible head unit I've used, a Pioneer.

Thread Information