Thread: HRT and HSVDT swap drivers for Enduros

HRT and HSVDT swap drivers for Enduros

Kelly brothers are teaming up for HSVDT, while Skaife and Tander are driving Car #2 for HRT. From v8supercar.com.au

Brothers Todd and Rick Kelly will drive together in the Sandown 500 and the Bathurst 1000 for the first time in their careers under a revamp of enduro pairings across the Holden Racing Team and the Toll HSV Dealer Team.

Rick, currently 2nd in V8 Supercar championship standings, will team up with Todd in the #15 Toll HSVDT Commodore VZ while third-placed Garth Tander will join five-time Bathurst 1000 winner Mark Skaife in his #2 Holden Racing Team Commodore VZ.

Two-time Sandown 500 and seven-time Bathurst 1000 winner Jim Richards will drive in the #22 HRT Commodore teamed with young protégé Ryan Briscoe in the latter’s first competitive V8 Supercar drive, while the #16 HSVDT Commodore will be piloted by V8 Supercar veteran Anthony Tratt and Fujitsu Development Series up-and-comer Tony D’Alberto.

“Being paired for the enduros is something that Rick and I have talked about forever and we’re thrilled it has finally found a way to happen,” said Todd Kelly, 26, who won his first Bathurst 1000 last year alongside Skaife.

Two-time Bathurst 1000 winner Rick, 23, added: “We have an enormous amount of respect for each other’s driving ability and total faith in each other not to make silly mistakes. To win Bathurst back-to-back was incredible, but it would be even more special to win with my brother.”

Tom Walkinshaw, whose company Walkinshaw Racing oversees the preparation of both the Holden Racing Team and the Toll HSV Dealer Team, said the revamp was principally designed to protect the championship aspirations of the leading contenders.

“Risk management says that you need to put Garth and Rick in separate cars for the enduros. The fact that they will each drive alongside a defending Bathurst champion is ideal for our needs,” he said.

He said the Richards-Briscoe combination was also an exciting prospect for HRT fans. “It’s an intriguing pairing, to put the master in the same car with the apprentice. Jim is a proven performer at this time of year and if Ryan is as good as his CV suggests, he will be very competitive.”

Holden Motorsport Manager Simon McNamara said: “We have two ambitions in mind at Holden this year, which is firstly to win the championship and secondly to win Bathurst.

“This plan not only gives us an each-way bet on the championship, it gives strong pairings with legitimate claims of winning Sandown and Bathurst.”

Tander said he was delighted to be driving in the enduros with Skaife. “Mark, Rick and Todd are all top drivers, and it wouldn’t really matter which way we mix it, they are all Bathurst winners and all more than capable of doing the job,” he said.

“Mark knows exactly what to do out there – last year at Bathurst he and Todd drove the perfect race, consistent without taking any risks. That’s exactly what we need.”

Skaife said he would do whatever was needed to achieve success. “I will do what’s best for Holden and what is best for the championship, without jeopardising our chances at Sandown and Bathurst,” he said.

The Betta Electrical Sandown 500 will be held at Sandown International Raceway in Melbourne on September 1-3. The Super Cheap Auto Bathurst 1000 will be held at Mt Panorama, Bathurst on October 5-8.

Pairings for the Sandown 500 and Bathurst 1000:
    Holden Racing Team #2 Commodore VZ: Mark Skaife/Garth Tander
    Holden Racing Team #22 Commodore VZ: Jim Richards/Ryan Briscoe
    Toll HSV Dealer Team #15 Commodore VZ: Rick Kelly/Todd Kelly
    Toll HSV Dealer Team #16 Commodore VZ: Anthony Tratt/Tony D’Alberto
    I am a New Zealander, and I hate Greg Murphy. Yes, we exist.

Alot of people are a bit worried with the direction Walkinshaw's taking now that its official he owns the 2 teams again. VESA allows him to control up to 4 cars IIRC, but hes the only one doing it and it should theoretically give him a good advantage. DJR are apparently looking around to try a similar setup to keep up, and TKR are expected to announce some form of technical alliance with FPR. VESA might have to step in if they want to stop the series going towards 4 car teams.

The driver pairings though might seem a threat, but its nothing new really. Ambrose and Ingall paired together for '03, and came across their share of problems. Skaife's been paired with a top driver for a while now as well, so have many other drivers in the series and at the end of the day, everyone on the lead lap is usually still in with a good chance. Last year Ambrose was still strongly in the running despite an unscheduled pitstop and drive through penalty.
    I am the Stig

Wonder if the Toll HSV team regrets hiring Anthony Tratt/Tony D'Alberto now that they need to split Tander and Kelly? With due respect for their abilities, neither Tratt or D'Alberto would've made the best co-driver for a championship front runner. Switching the drivers between the HRT and Toll teams then made sense.
    Watch the #22 car though. HRT will have two front running cars. Jim Richards may be old now, but he's still very quick and Ryan Briscoe would have a future in V8 Supercar if he decides he wants to go in that direction.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    Alot of people are a bit worried with the direction Walkinshaw's taking now that its official he owns the 2 teams again. VESA allows him to control up to 4 cars IIRC, but hes the only one doing it and it should theoretically give him a good advantage. DJR are apparently looking around to try a similar setup to keep up, and TKR are expected to announce some form of technical alliance with FPR. VESA might have to step in if they want to stop the series going towards 4 car teams.
    So Walkinshaw has bought them off Skaife?

Quote Originally Posted by motorsportnerd
    Watch the #22 car though. HRT will have two front running cars. Jim Richards may be old now, but he's still very quick and Ryan Briscoe would have a future in V8 Supercar if he decides he wants to go in that direction.
    Definately. I think Richards should really be able to help and advise Briscoe really well. It'd be great to see Gentlemen Jim on the podium.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Well Skaife owned HRT and John Kelly owned HSVDT. Im pretty sure its been confirmed though. I think ever since Walkinshaw came back with TWG people have been speculating how much control he's had with HRT. Both teams are grouped together now for testing and apparently all 4 chassis are of equal spec.
    I am the Stig

Well he's taken over the running over HMS with someone else who's name escapes me, so he's been having an increasing amount of control and influence. Can't be all bad, as HRT as had a much better year and HSVDT are going great guns. Tander is ripping it up and Kelly's been having good consistent results and has gotten himself in a good position for the championship
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Theyve been in a position like this every year since '03 and always drop off through the middle of the year though, it seems to have happened to alot of the Holden teams. This year could end up alot differently though.
    I am the Stig

For even more proof, go to either www.hsv.com.au, www.hsvdt.com.au or www.hrt.com.au
    Join V8SuperChat NOW!
    http://vee-eight.super-forum.net

Does anyone remember when i told you dudes years ago that HRT K-mart and the other i forgot was somehow all the same 1 in a way. everyone didn't say this really but thought i was a fool??? Looks the goods now.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Thread Information