Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Barack Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    I think reintroducing the concept of diplomacy in international politics is a much better condition for peace than the "if you are not with us, you are against us". theorema used by his predecessor.
    That is quite true, but on the other hand, you cannot win a Nobel prize for doing the obvious...
    Minimising losses can maximise net gains

Quote Originally Posted by lightweight View Post
    That is quite true, but on the other hand, you cannot win a Nobel prize for doing the obvious...
    you should see the award of the Nobel Prize as a sigh of relief from the rest of the world.
    In terms of having achieved things, you may for instance ask that about Aung San Suu Kiy, Shiran Ebadi or ElBaradei. All have been pursuing great causes, but so far have not yet (fully) delivered.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

you should see the award of the Nobel Prize as a sigh of relief from the rest of the world.
    True, but still, such a statement by the Nobel committee undermines and discredits them. In fact is there any other prize (let alone the Nobel prize) awarded not for actions but for expected actions?

Every year since 1901 the Nobel Prize has been awarded for achievements in physics, chemistry, physiology or medicine, literature and for peace.

The Nobel Prize

True, but still, such a statement by the Nobel committee undermines and discredits them. In fact is there any other prize (let alone the Nobel prize) awarded not for actions but for expected actions?
    I still would call getting the world into the grove of diplomacy again, an achievement. This

All Nobel Peace Prize Laureates

is an interesting list, and I am sure many, even recent, names have disappeared into oblivion, let alone what they were supposed to have achieved. Contrary to the "sciences" that were the first targets for the Prizes, the Peace Prize has always been of a slightly different nature. Just look at last year. Al Gore got the price, but has climate change already stopped or reversed?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Just look at last year. Al Gore got the price, but has climate change already stopped or reversed?
    Climate change could go on for decades, even if we stopped all emissions as of now. This is not a fair example. In any case it was just a movie, and the fact that it was Al Gore played a huge part. I didn't see Yann Arthus-Bertrand's "Home" win any prizes...

Climate change could go on for decades, even if we stopped all emissions as of now. This is not a fair example. In any case it was just a movie, and the fact that it was Al Gore played a huge part. I didn't see Yann Arthus-Bertrand's "Home" win any prizes...
    I gave that example to show how the Committee may arrive at its choices. They can't keep giving the prize to the UN secretary general every time

I gave that example to show how the Committee may arrive at its choices. They can't keep giving the prize to the UN secretary general every time
    OK that proves my point

Who in everybody's opinion would have deserved the price and why?
    I posted this earlier in the thread, and sofar nobody has come up with any suggestions......

OK that proves my point
    being that you cannot reward intentions? Can you reward awareness raising?

Here are some talks about it from other forums:
    "I laughed:
    USA - the only one country which has been used nuclear weapon;
    USA - for its own interests, to prohibit other countries developing nuclear power"

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Zhao View Post
    Here are some talks about it from other forums:
    "I laughed:
    USA - the only one country which has been used nuclear weapon;
    USA - for its own interests, to prohibit other countries developing nuclear power"
    based on your country flag, may I ask you when China will bring forward a suitable candidate? China, a country where demonstrators get a death penalty???
    In short: Don't quote forums without any reference to what they are about.

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    And yet your previous Administration threatened to 'bomb NK back into the stone age"

Rattling in result to the insanity of Pre-emption
    Oh, 'SABER RATTLING' from NK, Iran, Iraq has been going on well before either Bush administration, for those of us with a sense of history longer than the Obama regime.

In fact, the rattle from Iran and NK got more vibrant upon the election of Obama, including further defiance of the UN and launching of longer ranged missiles, some think as a test of Obama.

Quote Originally Posted by wstander View Post
    ... for those of us with a sense of history longer than the Obama regime.
    When did we undergo a regime change? I don't remember hearing of any revolutions or changes in governments?
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

being that you cannot reward intentions? Can you reward awareness raising?
    This has been covered extensively in my previous posts. It seems futile to continue arguing the same point over the same arguments

Quote Originally Posted by wstander View Post
    Oh, 'SABER RATTLING' from NK, Iran, Iraq has been going on well before either Bush administration, for those of us with a sense of history longer than the Obama regime.

In fact, the rattle from Iran and NK got more vibrant upon the election of Obama, including further defiance of the UN and launching of longer ranged missiles, some think as a test of Obama.
    True, but what this is all about is the US trying to stop other people from developing Nuclear weapons, so that only they can have them. On the process a lot of excuses are made (Iran / NK are religious fundamentalists etc), which are true, but the core of the story is power

Thread Information