Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Single turbo setup?

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    The M3 E36 was later available with a 321bhp engine.
    Yep that would be the 3.2L I6.
    Power, whether measured as HP, PS, or KW is what accelerates cars and gets it up to top speed. Power also determines how far you take a wall when you hit it
    Engine torque is an illusion.

Quote Originally Posted by hightower99 View Post
    You do realise that I am not going to be driving around at peak power all the time right? I plan on making the engine drivable not a dyno queen.
    You're giving me reason then. So why not forget the turbo?

Why don't you look up what a GT4088R actually is, same with the M70. Again the M3 chassis is very good and I will be upgrading it to handle the power (suspension, brakes, chassis regidity, safety, aerodynamics).
    I know what they are and that's why I dont' like any of them on a E36 chassis.
    Upgrading chassis rigidity doesn't necessarily mean you'll be making it handle better.

BTW The M70 lends itself to FI pretty well being a strong balanced design and having a relatively low CR. I also plan on raising the rev limit as much as I can.
    Fitting a turbo and now rising the rev limit. Sounds worrying now. Who will take care of the engine management?
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

i don't want to put your idea down or anything hightower, but it seems to me that ideas like this are usually only successfully executed by people with A) lots of money, B) lots of skill, or C) Both
    and i'm not sure you fit these requirements
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    it seems to me that ideas like this are usually only successfully executed by people with A) lots of money, B) lots of skill, or C) Both
    d) no reason

Since a nice original E36 M3 will always be a better drive, with a higher value and cost less.

Quote Originally Posted by McReis View Post
    You're giving me reason then. So why not forget the turbo?
    I want lots of useable power and to do that NA with this engine is tough. This engine maxs out at 450hp and then it is peaky because of the super wild cams, higher CR and static tuned length intake and exhaust. The engine really does lend itself to FI much better.

Quote Originally Posted by McReis
    I know what they are and that's why I dont' like any of them on a E36 chassis.
    You are entitled to your opinion but I don't understand why?
    Upgrading chassis rigidity doesn't necessarily mean you'll be making it handle better.
    I will not just increase chassis rigidity. A host of modifications will be performed for the sole purpose of increasing handling.

Since a nice original E36 M3 will always be a better drive, with a higher value and cost less.
    better drive... No. Higher value... No. Cost less... yes by quite a bit.

Fitting a turbo and now rising the rev limit. Sounds worrying now. Who will take care of the engine management?
    In order to use the turbo as effectively as possible the rev limit will be raised. I haven't decided yet whether to fiddle with the stock system and run a piggy back fuel ECU, or if I should just get a nice stand alone to do everything (I would get rid of the "limp home" function if I choose that solution). Tuning will take place at the local dynamometer equipped tuning shop
    Power, whether measured as HP, PS, or KW is what accelerates cars and gets it up to top speed. Power also determines how far you take a wall when you hit it

How are you going to make 750hp useable on a car with (relitively) thin tyres, if you design home made traction control then that would be a waste of all that power.
    PPC - Put a V8 in it!

Didn't 6speed think of some crazy idea like this?

Something about a Nissan Skyline GT-R engine into a Mazda RX-7 and shoving a busted car onto his friend.

Okay... if you add up all the mods, it definitely won't be cheaper than a E36 M3.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by h00t_h00t View Post
    How are you going to make 750hp useable on a car with (relitively) thin tyres, if you design home made traction control then that would be a waste of all that power.
    The back tires are going to be 305mm so not thin tires at all. I am not going to make home made traction control.

Also having 750 Peak HP means I don't have to give it much pedal to get going quickly....

kingofthering: Notice that I was talking about the stock car vs. my project. Obviously my project is going to be considerably more expensive then just driving the stock car around. But when I am finished it will be alot more fun!

a better drive... No. Higher value... No. Cost less... yes by quite a bit
    I'm sorry but I still believe that for 99% of people, a stock M3 E36 will have much more value than a artisan-made Frankenstein. The potential classic car value is lost.

He said he wasn't doing homemade traction control. However, I agree that this car is a waste of time and money, and will probably never see the road.

I hate to say it, but since he's already doing custom engine mounts/ecu...
    LS7 swap FTW.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    He said he wasn't doing homemade traction control. However, I agree that this car is a waste of time and money, and will probably never see the road.

I hate to say it, but since he's already doing custom engine mounts/ecu...
    LS7 swap FTW.
    Roflcopter. LS7 can nevAr lo0se?
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Well it's certainly better that a 1.8T... and it's really not much more work that what ht wants to do.

But on the other hand

LS7 >> ALLL!!!11!!!!!eleventyeleven!!1!!

The back tires are going to be 305mm so not thin tires at all.
    All modern TVRs, the Dodge viper, every modern Ferrari, the BMW M5, the corvette, and monaro is just a short list of cars with wider tyres and the ability to light them up in third gear. Remember even the most powerfull car in this list is 150hp down on yours and most have traction control. 305s are NOT wide enough.
    PPC - Put a V8 in it!

Remember even the most powerfull car in this list is 150hp down on yours and most have traction control. 305s are NOT wide enough.
    Won't be an issue.

After all it is the TORQUE that breaks the traction !!!!
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

All modern TVRs, the Dodge viper, every modern Ferrari, the BMW M5, the corvette, and monaro is just a short list of cars with wider tyres and the ability to light them up in third gear. Remember even the most powerfull car in this list is 150hp down on yours and most have traction control. 305s are NOT wide enough.
    305s on a Monaro? I think not. Actually, I don't think most of the cars in that list would have tyres close to 305s, the 430 has 295s, I don't any of the cars (except for maybe the Viper, I don't know about that one) have wider tyres than that.

Thread Information