Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ariel Atom Mugen

Ariel Atom Mugen

Ariel is celebrating its 10 year anniversary with a new model.

Source EVO
    270bhp Ariel Atom Mugen revealed

Limited edition Ariel Atom gets 270bhp naturally aspirated Mugen Type-R power. Reveal at Autosport 2011

Ariel has marked the tenth birthday of its Atom track car with a new model. The Ariel Atom Mugen gets a tuned version the 2.0-litre naturally aspirated Honda Type-R engine from the regular Atom, with 270bhp.

That’s a 25bhp increase on the Atom 3, and enough to increase the car’s power-to-weight ratio from 498bhp/ton to 549bhp/ton – that’s more than a Bugatti Veyron, and should be enough to see the Atom’s already impressive 3.2sec 0-60mph sprint fall. It also boasts more power than Mugen’s tuned Honda Civic Type-R.

Only ten Ariel Atom Mugen’s will be built, each one with a special livery and a numbered plaque signed by the Mugen and Ariel technicians who worked on its build.

‘We found that both ourselves and Mugen had the same meticulous attention to detail in the build of our cars and their engines’, says Ariel director Simon Saunders. ‘One Ariel technician makes a car, one Mugen techncian builds an engine. The result is a truly hand made car with a hand made engine.’

The Ariel Atom Mugen will get its full reveal (with photos and further spec and price details) at the 2011 Autosport show, alongside an all-new Caterham model and Radical’s road-going SR3 sports car. We’ll be reporting live from the show, so be sure to check evo.co.uk for up-to-the-minute Autosport news.
    Photo Credits: EVO
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sledgehammer; 01-15-2011 at 10:27 PM.
    "Horsepower sells motor cars, but torque wins motor races."
    -Carrol Shelby

Ariel Atom Mugen #2
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Carrol Shelby

A 270hp K20 must sound ****ing glorious.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

looks great, but the thing is that it got 270bhp, so more than the Standard 245bhp and less than the 300bhp supercharged model.The thing is though because it is Mugen it is likely to cost a lot so why not just get the 300bhp supercharged model.
    Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
    — Jeremy Clarkson

^^^ NAH, the Russel Svory 2400cc 500hp normally aspirated is the way to go ... at least then there is enogu power to make up for the extra weight

We got comparative weights for the Mugen and the supercharged ?
    Cant find any on Ariel's site
    A 5kg-plus supercharger doesn't make any difference on a muscle car .... on a 500kg sports car it might
    Mind you jsut avoid the KFC big bucket special the night before and it's moot !!!!
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

That is one odd combination.

But you already could get it with a Civic Type R engine if you wanted to, I don't see why they needed to go through all that marketing.

^^^ Just re-read and understand it now.

It is ALL marketing

Only making 10, so it's clearly intended to be a "halo car" and attract attention.
    The one Ariel engineer, one Mugen engineer to build it is a nice touch.
    THAT and grabbing the "more power to weight than a Veyron" tag is all marketing.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    ^^^ Just re-read and understand it now.

It is ALL marketing

Only making 10, so it's clearly intended to be a "halo car" and attract attention.
    The one Ariel engineer, one Mugen engineer to build it is a nice touch.
    THAT and grabbing the "more power to weight than a Veyron" tag is all marketing.
    I re-read it too. I skimmed the article too quickly. That's pretty stupid then.

In general, I hate marketing gimics. Coming from Ariel however, I consider even worse. In the past, Ariel's priorities seemed to be; make a fantastic produce unknown by most, have it be frightenly fast and provide the best driving experience outside of track or race cars, while doing it on a respectable budget. Is Ariels percieved passion at risk by buying into market hype?
    -Carrol Shelby

Watch Top Gear Australia "ashes" special with them on the Isle of Man with the A7OM ( the company demonstrator ).
    They'll always have the passion provided by drivers

Quote Originally Posted by Sledgehammer View Post
    In general, I hate marketing gimics. Coming from Ariel however, I consider even worse. In the past, Ariel's priorities seemed to be; make a fantastic produce unknown by most, have it be frightenly fast and provide the best driving experience outside of track or race cars, while doing it on a respectable budget. Is Ariels percieved passion at risk by buying into market hype?
    I guess the economy got to Ariel too.

Can't wait when they start making SUVs from the same scaffolding technique. They'll actually be good with gas and handle well!

Problem is a couple of other companies have brought out "scaffolding built" sports cars.
    So their "uniqueness" is gone

Problem is a couple of other companies have brought out "scaffolding built" sports cars.
    So their "uniqueness" is gone
    Being the first to do something in my opinion makes something more unique than the copy cats. Would you consider Banksy less unique due to the slew of copy cats who followed his design?
    Last edited by Sledgehammer; 01-16-2011 at 04:27 PM.
    -Carrol Shelby

Yeah but while his was the only street-art it had much higher kudos and attracted more interest.
    As others have come along and surpassed some of his works I think it does.

It wasn't the uniqueness per se I was raising more that it no longer was a key point.

It wasn't the uniqueness per se I was raising more that it no longer was a key point.
    Agreed, but while its uniqueness mabey be in jeopardy, my want of one has not changed in the slightest.
    -Carrol Shelby

Thread Information