Go to Ultimatecarpage.com

Go Back   Ultimatecarpage.com forums > General forums > Multimedia > Photography


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 09-24-2008, 09:09 AM
Suzi_Q's Avatar
Suzi_Q Suzi_Q is offline
Novice
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 9
Suzi_Q
"Auto Emocion"
6th September 2008
Canon EOS 400D
70-300mm Sigma
F3.5
1/15sec
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Graeme Nathan - SEAT Leon Cupra.jpg (305.3 KB, 151 views)
__________________
"I never want to say my best days are behind me"

www.suzannearcher.com
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-24-2008, 01:27 PM
basman007's Avatar
basman007 basman007 is offline
Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 451
Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Thawley View Post
Ok... well, not to simplify the process, but I'll be happy to share the technique.

First, yes... you must manually focus. You locate the area you're going to hit your mark and set the focus accordingly.

Now, to get the transparency, a couple of elements have to be right. There should be a reasonable opening among the branches and trees, you need to be positioned so that the trees are comfortably situated in the foreground between you and the subject... further away from you is preferable... and you MUST use an extremely slow shutter.

The key to the slow shutter is also that it is counter balanced by a small aperture. In this case f/18 - so you've got an increased depth-of-field that is a little bit more forgiving on the focus too.

You need to burst, also... probably 5 frames... the first and last are definitely throw-outs, but they start your rhythm and absorb the shutter punch going in and pan rate fall-off on follow through. The middle three frames are where you hope to get lucky... right hole in trees.. and sweet spot of where the car is dead parallel to film plane or lens face.

Lastly, shoot a lot.

JT
But, yeah... you got a pan smooth... on target ... and kind of steady.
Thanks for sharing
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-24-2008, 04:03 PM
superwaxer's Avatar
superwaxer superwaxer is offline
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 255
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzi_Q View Post
Suzi_Q
"Auto Emocion"
6th September 2008
Canon EOS 400D
70-300mm Sigma
F3.5
1/15sec
Was this taken at Kyalami or PE?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-24-2008, 08:20 PM
cmcpokey's Avatar
cmcpokey cmcpokey is offline
Flat Out
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 6,039
Kyushu
Send a message via AIM to cmcpokey Send a message via MSN to cmcpokey
cmcpokey
dont try this at home
barren road in texas
8/22/08
d80

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0280 res.jpg (266.3 KB, 267 views)
__________________
Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-25-2008, 06:32 AM
scottie300z's Avatar
scottie300z scottie300z is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,288
Texas
Send a message via AIM to scottie300z
Scottie300z
Vette
The fair grounds in Dallas
Sept 21
Canon s5 is
No edits

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2886810017_55becd7bc4_o.jpg (350.3 KB, 241 views)
__________________
You can call me scott.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 09-26-2008, 11:01 AM
Suzi_Q's Avatar
Suzi_Q Suzi_Q is offline
Novice
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by superwaxer View Post
Was this taken at Kyalami or PE?
This was taken at Zwartkops Raceway.
__________________
"I never want to say my best days are behind me"

www.suzannearcher.com
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-26-2008, 06:53 PM
superwaxer's Avatar
superwaxer superwaxer is offline
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 255
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzi_Q View Post
This was taken at Zwartkops Raceway.
Lol! I didnt recognize that corner at first - I thought it might be the Wesbank corner at Kyalami or something. What was the name of the race event?
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-27-2008, 03:25 AM
Suzi_Q's Avatar
Suzi_Q Suzi_Q is offline
Novice
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 9
Its the Wesbank Super Series event.
I take it you used to live here.
__________________
"I never want to say my best days are behind me"

www.suzannearcher.com
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-27-2008, 01:47 PM
Timothy (in VA)'s Avatar
Timothy (in VA) Timothy (in VA) is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,610
Falls Church (home), Charlottesville (college), Virginia, USA
Timothy (in VA)
Derelict Decadence
August 19, 2008
Sony DSC-S500

This is a right-hand-drive 1969 Daimler Sovereign that I discovered parked behind a body shop not far from my home. It looked like it hadn't moved in some time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC05501_1969DaimlerSovereign.jpg (547.9 KB, 122 views)
__________________
UCP's biggest (only?) fan of the '74-'76 Mercury Cougar.
UCP's proudest owner of a '74 Cougar

My favorite color is chrome.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-27-2008, 05:18 PM
superwaxer's Avatar
superwaxer superwaxer is offline
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 255
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzi_Q View Post
Its the Wesbank Super Series event.
I take it you used to live here.
Yes that is correct. My cousin still races in the Porsche 924 Cup so still kinda know whats going on with the SA racing scene. Nice pic by the way!
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 09-27-2008, 05:52 PM
dydzi's Avatar
dydzi dydzi is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 4,450
Warsaw
Send a message via MSN to dydzi
dydzi
997 turbo
Warsaw
29.09
Sony A100
cropping, slight contrast/colour/saturation editions

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03973.jpg (351.3 KB, 180 views)
__________________
12 cylinders or walk!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 09-28-2008, 07:28 AM
Rijoh's Avatar
Rijoh Rijoh is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,917
Tha Nutterlands
Rijoh
The King and the Prince
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
08-06-'08
Canon EOS 450D
Cropping

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ult182.jpg (146.6 KB, 176 views)
__________________
I think Koenigsegg is Swedish for: "Oh no, my head's just exploded!"

Jeremy Clarkson
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 09-28-2008, 09:31 AM
Suzi_Q's Avatar
Suzi_Q Suzi_Q is offline
Novice
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by superwaxer View Post
Yes that is correct. My cousin still races in the Porsche 924 Cup so still kinda know whats going on with the SA racing scene. Nice pic by the way!
Thanks.
__________________
"I never want to say my best days are behind me"

www.suzannearcher.com
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 09-28-2008, 07:54 PM
superwaxer's Avatar
superwaxer superwaxer is offline
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 255
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Thawley View Post
Ok... well, not to simplify the process, but I'll be happy to share the technique.

First, yes... you must manually focus. You locate the area you're going to hit your mark and set the focus accordingly.

Now, to get the transparency, a couple of elements have to be right. There should be a reasonable opening among the branches and trees, you need to be positioned so that the trees are comfortably situated in the foreground between you and the subject... further away from you is preferable... and you MUST use an extremely slow shutter.

The key to the slow shutter is also that it is counter balanced by a small aperture. In this case f/18 - so you've got an increased depth-of-field that is a little bit more forgiving on the focus too.

You need to burst, also... probably 5 frames... the first and last are definitely throw-outs, but they start your rhythm and absorb the shutter punch going in and pan rate fall-off on follow through. The middle three frames are where you hope to get lucky... right hole in trees.. and sweet spot of where the car is dead parallel to film plane or lens face.

Lastly, shoot a lot.

JT
But, yeah... you got a pan smooth... on target ... and kind of steady.
Thanks for sharing that technique JT. Im sure everyone learnt something new
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 09-29-2008, 12:10 AM
basman007's Avatar
basman007 basman007 is offline
Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 451
Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzi_Q View Post
Suzi_Q
"Auto Emocion"
6th September 2008
Canon EOS 400D
70-300mm Sigma
F3.5
1/15sec
It's a very nice pan, but is it really 1/15 with F3.5?
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Automotive Photography Competition #172 zeppelin Photography 65 07-24-2008 06:33 AM
Automotive Photography Competition #171 zeppelin Photography 27 07-14-2008 02:47 PM
Automotive Photography Competition #166 zeppelin Photography 19 06-09-2008 11:11 AM
Automotive Photography Competition #145 zeppelin Photography 37 01-13-2008 04:06 PM
Automotive Photography Competition #141 zeppelin Photography 26 12-16-2007 05:23 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:17 AM.

 

1998 - 2019 Ultimatecarpage.com