Thread: Don LaFontaine dead at 68; who is he? you know!

Don LaFontaine dead at 68; who is he? you know!

From TVGuide.com

"In a world without Don LaFontaine, trailers will be a lot less fun.

LaFontaine, who died Monday at 68 from complications relating to pneumothorax, wasn't a household name. But he was the voice of more than 5,000 movie trailers and 350,000 commercials over the last three decades, best known for the introduction, "In a world…"

LaFontaine's Web Site said he did voiceover work for all the major television networks, as well as TNT, TBS, and the Cartoon Network. He also served as the in-show announcer for the Screen Actors Guild and Academy Awards.

"Based on contracts signed, he has the distinction of being perhaps the single busiest actor in the history of SAG," according to his site.

The native of Duluth, Minnesota, joined the Army after high school, and was assigned to the United States Army Band and Chorus as a recording engineer.

After his discharge from the service, he worked as a sound engineer and editor.

His voiceover career started in 1965, when an announcer didn't show up for a session. LaFontaine stepped in to do "scratch" narration for radio spots for the film Gunfighters Of Casa Grande."

EVERY one of you have heard his voice, but just don't know his name. We may hear a few more trailers over the next few months with his voice, then that will be all.

YouTube - Don LaFontaine: The Voice
    YouTube - Frank TV Movie Trailers Voice Over Background Concert
    aka: Rob Clements, Ultimatecarpage North American Correspondent
    "big durango", formerly known as the "MEDIA MASTER", (title now belonging to Matt)

I never realized it was always the same guy... I just thought it was the typical trailer voice. That's one interesting "miscellaneous" thing to learn...

His résumé is very, very impressive. Shame about his death... the voice of Hollywood will be missed. The guy that will replace him better be good, that's one heck of a pair of shoes to fill.

Rest in peace.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

was he the voice doing the Star Trek introduction...."to boldly go where no-one has gone before" ?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

that was done by whoever the captain of the enterprise was. shatner for the original, patrick stewart for the next generation
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    And Janeway for voyager. Any show after that doesn't count.
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

i didnt count voyager
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

I liked his voice. and he seemed to be a smart and funny folk from some video on YT
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Thread Information