Thread: Hansa 1100 Coupe/Goliath Tiger

Hansa 1100 Coupe/Goliath Tiger

Goliath Tiger
    Attached Images Attached Images

That car is not very Goliath-like or Tiger-like. I was expecting some big nasty SUV thing with lasers and guns and women holding machine guns with men who look like Rambo. Not tennis players. This has been a huge disappointment to me.

A shame Borgward/Hansa/Goliath didn't survive, build quality of their products was exceptional, on par with the dominant German makes.
    Styling was rather American for their larger cars, but not unattractive.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Quote Originally Posted by ScionDriver View Post
    That car is not very Goliath-like or Tiger-like. I was expecting some big nasty SUV thing with lasers and guns and women holding machine guns with men who look like Rambo. Not tennis players. This has been a huge disappointment to me.
    I think you may have a point there, unknowingly though. As far as I know the name Tiger was never used for a Goliath, (even more likely as it would interfere with the Messerschmidt of the same name). The car (as a four seater saloon) started life as Goliath 1100 in 1955, but the name Goliath was also discontinued in 1958, the car was renamed Hansa 1100, and only in 1958 the coupe version became available, so the most correct thread name is Hansa 1100 Coupe. It was a direct competitor to the VW Karmann Ghia, but in stead of having 34 BHP, the gutsy 1100 produced a healthy 55 BHP, making it a much faster proposition. Sadly in 1961, with the collapse of Borgward, the parent company, it disappeared from the scene.
    In modern times I have never come across one, so I cannot add more pictures here. (Note to self: Don't always visit British, US or French events...)
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Seriously, I was expecting something like this.

What I like about these cars, is that they're nostalgic, full of character and not common. Apoligies that its name does not live up to your wild expectations.

Pieter,

When Googling on 'Goliath Tiger' a lot of nasty big fanged fish show up, but also more cars bearing the same name.

Not saying that I doubt your memory, but I am confused now.

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Steel View Post
    What I like about these cars, is that they're nostalgic, full of character and not common. Apoligies that its name does not live up to your wild expectations.

Pieter,

When Googling on 'Goliath Tiger' a lot of nasty big fanged fish show up, but also more cars bearing the same name.

I am confused too, because when checking German sites, the word Tiger never appears. May be it was used in some exports markets (not Holland). BTW, the Messerschmidt was also not allowed to be called Tiger, because Krupp objected. Hence it became the Tg 500, but everybody knows the car as the Tiger.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

FWIW, my impression was the Tiger name was used for export, but always knew the model as the 1100 Coupe. Try this: Borgward-IG
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post
    FWIW, my impression was the Tiger name was used for export, but always knew the model as the 1100 Coupe. Try this: Borgward-IG
    I saw that, and the section on "facts to know" about the Goliath is empty.....
    Even the German Wikipedia on Borgward and Goliath does not mention the name Tiger. But as you say, and what I guessed, it is probably an export name.
    Probably you will not know what a Fiat Strada is and why it was called like that.

I would suggest to update thread title to : "Hansa 1100 Coupe / Goliath Tiger".

I am not sure how to do this, so Mod's please help me out.
    Thanks.

I would suggest to update thread title to : "Hansa 1100 Coupe / Goliath Tiger".

I am not sure how to do this, so Mod's please help me out.
    Thanks.
    done..

Pieter,

Haha, no need to apologize, I love the fact that you bring up obscure cars up to our attention.

In 1962 my father bought a goliath tiger, it was a 1959 by the title info. We paid $ 100.00 for the car with a cracked head (freezing weather). The head was repaired and my father drove the car until 1965. The car was a wonderful snow driving car with the front wheel drive and 4 speed on the dash, fully sync tranny etc. We could not find any
    parts source at the time and so father's machanic fabricated many parts. the previous owner had placed the folowing words on the bumper " half car, will travel". the car had been shipped to the midwest by an airman who had been stationed in Germany in 1960.

Quote Originally Posted by dochohner View Post
    In 1962 my father bought a goliath tiger, it was a 1959 by the title info. We paid $ 100.00 for the car with a cracked head (freezing weather). The head was repaired and my father drove the car until 1965. The car was a wonderful snow driving car with the front wheel drive and 4 speed on the dash, fully sync tranny etc. We could not find any
    parts source at the time and so father's machanic fabricated many parts. the previous owner had placed the folowing words on the bumper " half car, will travel". the car had been shipped to the midwest by an airman who had been stationed in Germany in 1960.
    Welcome, Dochoner, would it be possible to show some pictures, from the period the car owned by your father?

Thread Information