Thread: McLaren F1 LM 1995-1996

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by islero
    peloton, Do you have any document that has all the chassis numbers of all the cars? Can you please post that? After seeing the F1 GT and this LM thread, I really want to learn more about each and ever F1 built.
    There is a poster included with Driving Ambition that outlines the complete chassis history of the F1s. If you are interested in learning a lot about the cars, I would highly recommend picking up that book. It's a spectacular read.

Here's a shot of the backside of the poster.

Across the top, you can see it has the F1 Chassis History. It's broken down by chassis number and shows the type of F1 and the order they were built, along with their original exterior color. The bottom half includes F1 GTR Race History for 1995 - 1997. Some GTRs continued to race after that. The opposite side of the poster has this image of the last F1 - chassis #075 - in front of a RAF Hawk jet.

If you can't spring for the book, there are two websites that have duplicated the info from the poster in an online format. The first one was linked on the previous page, and it is a very good resource with info and stats on the various types of McLarens.

http://www.qv500.com/indexmclaren.php

Most of their info is accurate, save for a few of the captions on their photos. Also the price guide is suspect, but information like that fluctuates regularly and since most F1 sales are private, it's hard to put figures like that together with any amount of accuracy.

The second resource for chassis numbers is this site here:

http://wspr-racing.com/chassis/mclaren.htm

The only error I noticed on their list is the identification of a suspected 29th GTR. There were only 28 GTRs built over the three year period. The car they suspected was GTR #29R actually turned out to be GTR #25R, having been rebuilt from spares after a fire severly damaged the chassis at LeMans in 1997. It continues to race in the Japan GT Championship series even today.

You are a Mclaren fount of knowledge, peloton. Thanks a lot for the info!!!!!
    Thanks - I am always glad to be able to help people learn about this amazing supercar. It's nice to hear my efforts are appreciated.

PS: one last thing. I want to know more about Bernd Pieschtrieder and Rowan atkinson's cars, can you tell me?( chassis number, their fate now, history etc)
    I don't know the chassis number of Pieschetsrieder's F1, however I do know that he had a heavy crash in an F1 on the Autobahn, and reportedly the car was written off. Whether that was his own car, or a car belonging to BMW, I can not say with any certainty. The words "written off" seem to imply that it was destroyed beyond repair. Bummer that...

Atkinson's F1 is chassis #061. He also had a small crash in that car, but it was fully repaired and he still owns and drives it. The car was used in an episode of TopGear last year where they reviewed the Ferrari Enzo and made comparisons against the previous decade's supercars like the F1, XJ220, and F40. This is a shot of Atkinson's F1.

Clickable for hi-res...

I'll be back with hi-res LM photos over the weekend.

>8^)
    ER
    Last edited by Peloton25; 09-30-2005 at 11:02 AM.

Thread Information