Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mercedes Benz X class?

Mercedes Benz X class?

anybody have more information on this?

http://www.autocar.co.uk/news_article.asp?na_id=216253

quote autocar

Mercedes readies an answer to the X3

BMW’s X3 is in for a battle from 2008 when this, Mercedes’ new junior off-roader, goes on sale. Our spies caught the sporty small 4x4 as engineers lapped the Nurburgring in their quest for excellent on-road dynamics and it’s clear that it is strongly influenced by its big brother M-class. But Stuttgart insiders say the finished product will get a much more individual appearance.

Likely to be called X-class, the new car will slot into Mercedes’ line-up above the C-class Estate but will be priced lower than an E-class Estate, taking Mercedes’ four-wheel-drive stable to three alongside the newM-class and next year’s G-class.

The X-class rides on modified underpinnings from the next C-class with drive running through a beefed-up version of Mercedes’ four-wheel-drive 4matic system. But items such as a transfer case, low-range gearing and air springs will not be offered to keep costs down.

Up to seven different engine options are under consideration. There are likely be 2.5-, 3.0- and 3.5-litre V6 petrol units, while the diesel ranks should include a 2.2-litre four-cylinder together with a pair of 3.0-litre V6 engines with differing outputs.

A hybrid version is also planned, using either a petrol or diesel engine with a pair of electric motors mounted in the transmission casing. The X-class will be just one of a range of new hybrid models planned for launch before the end of the decade, with petrol-electric and diesel-electric versions of the recently unveiled M-, R- and S-class, as well as the next-generation C-class, all under consideration.
    Last edited by illusionest; 10-09-2008 at 06:04 PM.

Who buys junior SUVs?

I blame the Freelander.

little behind but its all good
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

Mercedes-Benz has planned to assemble a compact crossover SUV to compete with the BMW X3, the Land Rover Freelander and the future Audi Q5 and Volvo XC60. The name of this series is not yet known, but DaimlerChrysler has already made preparations to use "X-Class". According to Autobild, it should rather be called MLK-Class, K standing for Kurz (short).

It is speculated that the MLK-Class will share the C-Class platform, and production plans continued after the demise of the similar smart formore. Later, a compact off-roader (the G-Class) may be built on the same platform. In 2005, it was announced that the vehicle will be built in Bremen, Germany, rather than at the company's Juiz de Fora, Brazil factory as had been expected.

Got this news from Wikipedia
    ALFA ROMEO-Poetry In Motion

autocar's article mentions the next gen C class. does anyone have any pics of it? i havent seen it yet.
    If you want to do something wrong, do it right

1977 Mercedes-benz 240D 4-speed with 500k miles

i bet it looks gorgeous, just like the new ML *drools*

Quote Originally Posted by h00t_h00t
    Who buys junior SUVs?

I blame the Freelander.
    Whats wrong with junior SUV's? give me a Suzuki Vitara anyday.

Thats hardly in the league of the X3 and X class.

Ok, so Mercedez now has the M/ML class, G-klasse, R-klasse, now they want an X-klasse. Maybe they're following GM in the, let's build SUV's till we die scheme.

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    X-class? How about they put a real name on it, then I'd think about it. These alphanumeric names are way too confusing and half the time don't mean anything. Like the Mercedes Santiago or something.
    Last edited by jcp123; 02-24-2006 at 01:09 AM.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

maybe they are trying to have a model for every letter from A to Z

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella
    Ok, so Mercedez now has the M/ML class, G-klasse, R-klasse, now they want an X-klasse. Maybe they're following GM in the, let's build SUV's till we die scheme.
    The R-Class isn't an SUV, though the other 3 are... i guess they think there's profits in them sectors, and im sure there are. I've seen so so so many new MLs on the road (and the only reason my mum didn't get one was because of the lack of 7 seats...) and the G is for people who like the ML but need more seats, probably full size seats like the old ML rather than 4 full size seats in the new Q7 and 3 smaller ones (2 of whcih are in the back)

Quote Originally Posted by Street_Dreamer
    The R-Class isn't an SUV, though the other 3 are... i guess they think there's profits in them sectors, and im sure there are. I've seen so so so many new MLs on the road (and the only reason my mum didn't get one was because of the lack of 7 seats...) and the G is for people who like the ML but need more seats, probably full size seats like the old ML rather than 4 full size seats in the new Q7 and 3 smaller ones (2 of whcih are in the back)
    The R-class may not be 'called' an SUV, but it is. Seats seven and is big as **** on the road.

X-class? really hope not... really bad marketing move if you ask me.. it'd only confuse the consumers..

let see.. we have the ML (mid-size), GL (large size), G (hard-core military), and the R (more like a mini-van to me)... so i guess there is still room for a small size SUV... although i wouldn't want one..

Thread Information