Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FarCry 2

FarCry 2

Got the PC version of this game recently, started playing it this weekend.

I have a pretty old PC, but the game still works just fine. The graphics do not look that good as I had to go 640x480 and everything set to low to be able to play, but even so, it's a pretty sweet game. With the proper set of hardware, I think it will be just awesome.

Highlights:
    Open world, lots of guns, lots of missions, hilarious enemies, good gameplay.

Lowlights:
    Some of the missions are spaced a bit far apart, which takes time. Lots of time.

The best part for me is that some of the enemies you come across speak Afrikaans, which nearly made me fall of my chair.

If you haven't tried this game yet, I recommend you do. It's Kooper-approved

If you have tried it, what are your thoughts?

It is a quite a fun game on the pc

been playing at 1920x1200 with a c2d e6600 and 8800gtx

Ending is a bit of a downer though and it can get repetive
    but the scale and prettyness of the landscape and daynight cycle is awesome.
    Barnum's Law - You’ll never go broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public

The dyslexic version of Cyco

Civil disobedience is still disobedience

I thought the map editor was top notch and very user friendly. The graphics quality was also nice.

Other than that, I didn't like the rest of the game. I didn't like the story (it wasn't that engaging compared to other sandbox games; Oblivion, GT4, etc.), and the fact that you couldn't jump to high area's felt really restricting. Also, the whole thing with baddies constantly re-spawning in the same checkpoints over and over was really annoying.

All in all, the game play was average but the map editor was the real selling feature for me, which was extremely impressive.

It is fitting that this game is mentioned on a car enthusiast site; you've gotta love driving to enjoy this game :P

Yea, the driving is really fun. It really is fantastic when played on a high performance system. Some aspects of the game did annoy me, but generally, it is excellent.

Wow, what a coincidence, I just bought this game.

For those who are interested, Best Buy has it for $30 for both the PS3 and the 360.

Check slickdeals.net and just control F for it.

I'm still working my way through it........but have been loving it so far. It has its down points (respawning enemies, patrol trucks appearing out of nowhere, hyper-sensitive enemy AI), but I have found it quite engrossing for the most part. It looks quite stunning on the 360 with a proper 42in monitor.

I would recommend the Fortunes download pack to anyone who enjoys this game. The crossbow is pretty useful, the antique shotgun gives me that Desperado feeling, and the large military truck with the .50 cal emplacement is quite tough. I don't know if its available for PC or PS3 downloaders or not.

I'm just now starting to dabble with the map maker. I created plenty of maps for the first FC, so I'm hoping to turn out some interesting specimens for the new game as well. I'm also just now starting to download some user created maps. Anyone care to recommend some good ones?
    "Wise man say: Forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza."

Quote Originally Posted by syko View Post
    It is a quite a fun game on the pc

been playing at 1920x1200 with a c2d e6600 and 8800gtx

Ending is a bit of a downer though and it can get repetive
    but the scale and prettyness of the landscape and daynight cycle is awesome.
    Worse than the ending on Crysis?

same thing as GTA IV.
    nice game world, average/crap game plonked on top of it.
    please be taking more time on the gameplay next time thanks
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan View Post
    Worse than the ending on Crysis?
    It didn't make much sense in regard to the buddy system and how the jackal was meant to be the bad guy.

crysis ending was just that way because they wanted to make a sequial.
    Barnum's Law - You’ll never go broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public

The dyslexic version of Cyco

Civil disobedience is still disobedience

The Escapist : Video Galleries : Zero Punctuation : Far Cry 2
    so true. crysis was much better imo, and thats not saying much. was crysis warhead any good?
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

I have to say, playing farcry this morning, it suffers from a disconnected feeling between what you press and what happens, it might be something that you get accustomed to, but jumping from COD world at war to Fallout 3 to this has left me craving a proper FPS a la rainbow six vegas (which far cry vaguely reminds me of) but doesnt deliver so far. Also a lack of local host only search modes for multiplayer is a serious drawback.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

"The scenery deliriously humps your eyeballs and ejaculates spurts of wonder across your slack jawed brain......"

Yahtzee, you are my hero.

And the Seff Effrikan Accent, Genius.
    Last edited by IBrake4Rainbows; 01-21-2009 at 09:02 PM.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    same thing as GTA IV.
    nice game world, average/crap game plonked on top of it.
    please be taking more time on the gameplay next time thanks
    Agreed, GTA4's story was ok, but the gameplay didn't seem like anything new.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteballz View Post
    I have to say, playing farcry this morning, it suffers from a disconnected feeling between what you press and what happens, it might be something that you get accustomed to, but jumping from COD world at war to Fallout 3 to this has left me craving a proper FPS a la rainbow six vegas (which far cry vaguely reminds me of) but doesnt deliver so far. Also a lack of local host only search modes for multiplayer is a serious drawback.
    yeah, also the weapon degradation seems a bit extreme. nothing like being stuck on an island with three bad guys and both your primary weapons blow up.

Thread Information