Thread: Mythbusters: Freightliner Cascadia

Mythbusters: Freightliner Cascadia

Freightliner® Cascadia™ Makes its Television Debut on MythBusters

6/5/2007

PORTLAND, ORE. – JUNE 5, 2007 – The Discovery Channel’s most-watched program, MythBusters, will feature the new Freightliner® Cascadia™ on an episode about big rig myths premiering at 9 p.m. Wednesday, June 6. The episode will air again throughout the month of June.

MythBusters tests whether popular beliefs are truth or urban legend using science. Hosts Adam Savage and Jamie Hyneman and the rest of the MythBusters crew traveled in March to Madras, Ore., where Freightliner’s test track is located.

There, the MythBusters team investigated whether a person could save on fuel by drafting behind a truck. The team also tested whether a car could reverse out of a moving truck trailer, turn 180 degrees, and drive away, similar to the stunt performed on the popular 1980s show, Knight Rider. The Cascadia, rack and pinion steering and Freightliner’s wind tunnel featured prominently in the program. Freightliner is the only truck manufacturer to offer rack and pinion steering on its heavy-duty trucks.

Following Wednesday’s premiere, you also will be able to see more of the Cascadia on the Discovery Channel’s Web site, www.discoverychannel.com, where host Tory Belleci tests whether you can draft behind a big rig on a bicycle.

“We enjoyed working with the entire MythBusters team and were pleased with the opportunity to showcase the Cascadia, the industry’s most aerodynamic truck to date,” said Melissa Kellogg, director of product marketing for Freightliner Trucks. “Freightliner’s state-of-the-art wind tunnel, the only of its kind in the world for Class 8 trucks was showcased, allowing the MythBusters team to understand how we were able to develop the Cascadia to be so fuel efficient. The team also was able to see the benefits of rack and pinion steering in action.”

The Cascadia is Freightliner’s revolutionary Class 8 heavy-duty truck for on-road applications. The truck was designed based on the Run Smart™ philosophy to be the most productive, efficient, and drivable truck on the market. It was introduced in May.

Freightliner Trucks is a division of Freightliner LLC, headquartered in Portland, Oregon, and is the leading heavy-duty truck manufacturer in North America. Freightliner LLC produces and markets Class 3-8 trucks and is a part of DaimlerChrysler’s Truck Group, the world's leading commercial vehicle manufacturer.

UCP: Freightliner Cascadia
    Last edited by johnnyperl; 06-05-2007 at 11:46 PM.

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    My friend is an engineer at Freightliner. He used to get discounts on mercedes, not that he ever bought one.
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

Ah... i knew they had something to do with DaimlerChrysler... that stearing wheel is all Mercedes
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyperl View Post
    The team also tested whether a car could reverse out of a moving truck trailer, turn 180 degrees, and drive away, similar to the stunt performed on the popular 1980s show, Knight Rider.

More nonsense than a bad show, just a show that consists in proving it was a nonsense. As if we didn't know already...
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

That truck is perfect for the next 'Cars' film- look at the mouth on it!

But anyways, I've always been interested by that as well... always interested in saving petrol, me!

Quote Originally Posted by digitalcraft View Post
    My friend is an engineer at Freightliner. He used to get discounts on mercedes, not that he ever bought one.
    So am I.

Its 12.5% off MSRP or as I like to think of it, $45,000 discount on a SLR.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyperl View Post
    So am I.

Its 12.5% off MSRP or as I like to think of it, $45,000 discount on a SLR.
    Like it helps at all.

Mythbusters is a cool show. Sometimes the experiments get long winded and boring though. Depends on the topic of the show.

freightliner makes some damn good trucks
    My rides:
    1999 Mustang GT

1974 Ford Country Squire (for sale!)

1991 Jeep Cherokee

1970 Shelby GT500

Thread Information