Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 3000gt VR4 ...too heavy?

3000gt VR4 ...too heavy?

If the 3000GTVR4 is too heavy, then why does it run similar 1/4 mile times as the rest of the super-cars?

Why do people overlook the 3000 so quickly? Its only 500lbs heavier than the supra... *smirk* That just means you needs more horsepower... why doesnt someone make a RWD 3000gt and ditch that heavy ass AWD system? Are there any fast 3000gt's out there? I never seen any win races on the Vids? it the 3000gt can run a 1/4 as fast as the supraTT, nsx, rx-7, 300zTT... why would you get smoked with similar HP after mods?

You smoking Crack?

I don't know where you get your info. bud but it's wrong. Way wrong. The 3000GT VR4 isn't 500lbs heavier than a supra. Because a turbo supra weighs in at 3505lbs, and the 3000GT VR4 weighs n at 3750lbs. So you might want to get your info strait first. Compared to all the rest of the super-cars as you put it it is pulling in a close 3rd place as beng the lightest. Also the supra has a smaller fule tank and gets crap for gas mileage in comparison to the 3000GT VR4. The VR4 was a very well built and desined car for its time. I own a 91 3000GT VR4. It is stock and I still out do most all the cars i race. Oh and one more thing if you get rid of the AWD system you might as well hand the race over. With out it you'll just sit and spin your tires. Sorry if this makes you angery but i hate it when people try and talk like they know something they don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Super16Gst
    If the 3000GTVR4 is too heavy, then why does it run similar 1/4 mile times as the rest of the super-cars?

Why do people overlook the 3000 so quickly? Its only 500lbs heavier than the supra... *smirk* That just means you needs more horsepower... why doesnt someone make a RWD 3000gt and ditch that heavy ass AWD system? Are there any fast 3000gt's out there? I never seen any win races on the Vids? it the 3000gt can run a 1/4 as fast as the supraTT, nsx, rx-7, 300zTT... why would you get smoked with similar HP after mods?

Well, according to carpoint.com

3000GT VR4: 18/24MPG
    Supra Turbo: 17/24MPG

I can't see how that qualifies as significantly worse gas mileage. Also,

3000GT VR4: 3781 lbs
    Supra Turbo: 3415 lbs

Your weight number for the Supra is a tad off.

If you have to make a 3000GT RWD, you might as well just get a friggin' Supra in the first place.
    The GT is a beautiful car left as it is, It's not a Supra and not a GTR.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerlance
    I don't know where you get your info. bud but it's wrong. Way wrong. The 3000GT VR4 isn't 500lbs heavier than a supra. Because a turbo supra weighs in at 3505lbs, and the 3000GT VR4 weighs n at 3750lbs. So you might want to get your info strait first. Compared to all the rest of the 1. super-cars as you put it it is pulling in a close 3rd place as beng the lightest. Also the supra has a smaller fule tank and gets crap for gas mileage in comparison to the 3000GT VR4. The VR4 was a very well built and desined car for its time. I own a 91 3000GT VR4. 2. It is stock and I still out do most all the cars i race. Oh and one more thing if you get rid of the AWD system you might as well hand the race over. 3. With out it you'll just sit and spin your tires. Sorry if this makes you angery but i hate it when people try and talk like they know something they don't.
    1. A 3000GT is by no means a supercar, and neither are it's competitors.
    2. You must be a very cool person by point 2.
    3. You would spin the tires all day with that weight. The car is an obese thing.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Quote Originally Posted by Super16Gst
    3000gt VR4 ...too heavy?
    yes its a porker

I like it, but it weighs one heck of a lot. 1840kg is not to be sniffed at. That's about as much as an RS6, dammit.

Give me an FTO anyday...

lighten it up a little bit. Take out power windows power stearing, airconditoner, radio, and some lighter seats. If you want to go all out take out all the roof lighing and put a roll cage in it. I think the reason he is buying a 3000gt is because its alot cheaper then a supra atleast here in the states.

I used to have a '91 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin Turbo - exactly the same, mechanically, as the 3000 GT VR4... it is a heavy car, but the AWD helps it get off the line. I've run it against a couple of Supras and done ok, got the drop at the light and then the Supras walked. I've run 350z and 300zxs too and depending on the driver, it was pretty close - won some, lost some. without the AWD though, it would have been ugly I suspect. however, the mileage was pretty good - I could pull low 20's in town and almost 30 on the highway - granted, that was without being on boost all the time. On-boost driving nets you substantially worse mileage. I think if the car were lightened it would have been a really bad-ass, instead of just bad-ass. The thing that I hated about the car was it's horrid reliability... just horrible, of course, I got a "basket case" but even if I hadn't, regular maintenance is still a pain in the ass - water pump change, timing belt change, and plug & wires were all a HUGE PAIN IN THE ASS... and because it's an "interference" engine, if the timing belt goes, you just bought a new engine... or new pistons and valves, at the VERY least...
    ...Utah! Get me two...

Quote Originally Posted by IWantAnAudiRS6
    Give me an FTO anyday...
    even though FTO's are FWD?
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella
    1. A 3000GT is by no means a supercar, and neither are it's competitors.
    You didn't read the first line of the first post, which Powerlance was referring to.

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey
    even though FTO's are FWD?
    means sarcasm!

I would have any of them, but the GTO would need some serious lightening. Why the hell is it so heavy???

1/4 mile times are pointless. Let's see some cornering

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda
    1/4 mile times are pointless. Let's see some cornering
    which brings us to where the 3000 GT VR4/ Dodge Stealth R/T Twin Turbo/ GTO really shines - because it is AWD, and has AWS... however, this is also the source of alot of "extra" weight...
    ...Utah! Get me two...

Give me a third gen RX-7 instead.

Thread Information