Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jaguar XK-SS 1957 and 2017

Jaguar XK-SS 1957 and 2017

Jaguar XK-SS

By 1957 Jaguar had constructed 68 D-Type racing cars as part of its international sportscar racing programme, following withdrawal from racing, 25 completed D-Types were left unsold. To make use of these unwanted cars Jaguar decided to convert them into road-going sportscars with some clever modifications.

The open, single seater bodies had the passenger compartment "uncovered", the rear fin was removed, bumpers added along with door side-screens and a rudimentary hood. These stunning cars were blessed with incredible performance and attracted 16 private buyers, including film star and motor racing fan Steve McQueen.

These fascinating cars are now priceless collectors items and are seldom available for sale.

------

Press release regarding the white XK-SS below.

BARRETT-JACKSON AUCTION RESULTS CLOSE IN ON $28.5 MILLION WITH SALE OF 1957 JAGUAR XKSS

SCOTTSDALE AUCTION FEATURE CAR SELLS OFF THE BLOCK FOR $1.1 MILLION

January 29, 2003 – It was announced today that the star vehicle for the recent Barrett-Jackson Classic Car Auction in Scottsdale, Arizona has been sold for $1.1 million.

The 1957 Jaguar XKSS Roadster crossed the auction podium during Saturday afternoon in front of a capacity crowd, and watched also by millions of viewers on the Speed Channel live television auction coverage. The tense bidding on the historic car reached $950,000 at the auction, but did not meet the reserve price set on the car. After days of negotiating by Barrett-Jackson between the car’s seller and the prospective buyer, a deal was finalized.

“We are very pleased to be able to finally put this deal together,” commented Craig Jackson, president of Barrett-Jackson Auction Company. “It would have been nice if it could have happened on the auction block, but we never stop working to get our auction cars sold. This is just one of over twenty cars that we were able to close deals on after they left the auction podium. Being our feature car it is a great way to top off a wonderful auction.” Continued Jackson.

The rare 1957 Jaguar XKSS Roadster is one of only 16 originally built and with its extensive historical records is considered to be one of the most original and documented of all the XKSS cars.

The Barrett-Jackson Auction Company reaffirmed its position as the leading classic car auction company with another record-breaking Scottsdale auction. The event saw an astounding 90 percent of the nearly 800 car lots declared sold, adding the 240 Automobilia lots sold, pushed the total sales volume very close to $28.5 million. The final attendance the four-day auction was 175,000.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Audi humbles Porsche. A new dawn starts today.

Being nice since 2007.

Wow, that is jsut hideous!
    it was actually me who killed vasilli zaitsev, heinz thorwald, carlos hatchcock, and simo hayha

Quote Originally Posted by blingbling
    Ever consider having your eyes checked?
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

He must have looked at Rocke at some point...
    I have a spare pair of glasses if you need them Bling
    Audi humbles Porsche. A new dawn starts today.

Being nice since 2007.

Bay Area, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way,
    Quote Originally Posted by blingbling
    I'm seeing the complete opposite of what you see, man those eyes of yours......
    The Ace of All Aces.

Crysis. Maximum Game.

Falls Church (home), Charlottesville (college), Virginia, USA
    He's entitled to his opinion. In my opinion, it certainly doesn't rank as one of the best-looking Jaguars ever built (the large headlights combined with the small size make it look kind of emaciated), but I'm willing to overlook that because of its performance capabilities.

If I recall correctly, they only built 16 of them because a warehouse fire destroyed the remaining D-Types before the planned run of 25 was completed.
    UCP's biggest (only?) fan of the '74-'76 Mercury Cougar.
    UCP's proudest owner of a '74 Cougar

My favorite color is chrome.

it may not be one of the best lookin Jags, but it's still pretty dang nice

wow. one of the 16 XK-SS sold.
    I am the Stig

Ferrari Constructors Champions 2007

Hi, just found this on the internet, hope you like it

Steve McQueen with his Jaguar XKSS, HQ

edit: uploaded resized photo using the forum attachment
    Last edited by whitecue; 12-30-2007 at 12:39 AM.

Jaguar XK-SS #3

Jaguar XK-SS #4

Welcome to the forums exe. great posts so far, keep it up man!!
    Who killed the Electric Car?
    GO HABS GO!

I love its curves, but I agree with Timothy; the car looks sort of emaciated with the big headlights.
    "Don't have phone sex, you could get hearing AIDS"

Quote Originally Posted by Fuerte100 View Post
    I love its curves, but I agree with Timothy; the car looks sort of emaciated with the big headlights.
    It's a D-Type for the road. You can hardly get better than this.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Jaguar XK-SS

Lovely

Thread Information