Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: $2,500 Tata Nano Unveiled - India's "The Peoples Car"

Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck View Post
    No aircon....in an Indian car?!?! isn't it like....WARM there?!!!
    Its warm here too, yet even $34,000 spent towards the best-selling VE Holden Commodore (Omega) doesn't get you airco as standard. That requires another $2,000, which itself works out at 80% of the cost for an entire brand-new car - eg this incredibly affordable new Tata Nano

For those of us fortunate enough to live in the wealthy West its all to easy to mock and criticize. But I bet average Indian motorists who currently risk their family's life by ferrying them around on the back end of an unsafe, fume-spewing motorbike will feel more than a little grateful to Mr Tata and his amazing achievement

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    I'm actually glad to see a more basic car. The more I study old school hot rods, the more I realize we take for granted all the little features in a car and how sturdy, light, and reliable they can be without them. I for one like our Ford Ranger fleet model at work with its AM/FM radio, manual windows, and carpet-delete better than optioned out cars. Over the last year I've also noticed that a lot of automakers are sadly getting rid of el-strippo models, too.

When I build my rod, it'll probably never have carpet, power steering or brakes, nor a/c. I might break down and put a stereo in if its a hardtop, otherwise if it's a open body...well, I probably won't even have a top for it, either. Stereos and rain usually don't get along well and I'm not going to bother sourcing a marine stereo or whatever for it.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Honestly, who needs power steering on an ultra-cheap 600cc micro-lite car anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Supra View Post

Meets all safety requirements
    The People's Car's safety performance exceeds current regulatory requirements. With an all sheet-metal body, it has a strong passenger compartment, with safety features such as crumple zones, intrusion-resistant doors, seat belts, strong seats and anchorages, and the rear tailgate glass bonded to the body. Tubeless tyres further enhance safety
    Wow, if this was 1962, I'd be impressed! Still, for two and a half grand it's pretty tops.

The Tata: It's tits.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Yep, not a jewel, but for 2,500 bucks who the hell will care? It runs (I hope), so that's what people need for such money. Still Bajaj's 3k car for almost the same money (wait, it costs 17% more!!!) looks a bit sweeter
    Last edited by faksta; 01-11-2008 at 06:19 AM.

It actually has more option's than my car. If it is available here, I might have a serious look into buying it.

Adding options is a great way to make profit on cars like this. Basically a 3-700% profit margin is quite attractive for a brand

Quote Originally Posted by faksta View Post
    Yep, not a jewel, but for 2,500 bucks who the hell will care? It runs (I hope), so that's what people need for such money. Still Bajaj's 3000k car for almost the same money (wait, it costs 17% more!!!) looks a bit sweeter
    I believe you meant 3k? $3,000,000 seems a bit steep to me for an economy car...
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

Quote Originally Posted by fisetdavid26 View Post
    I believe you meant 3k? $3,000,000 seems a bit steep to me for an economy car...
    nah...exactly

Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck View Post
    Does it come with a rock?
    It's also an option. It's called the seat.
    Audi humbles Porsche. A new dawn starts today.

Being nice since 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by faksta View Post
    nah...exactly
    Coffee time is hopefully soon

Quote Originally Posted by Vaigra View Post
    It's also an option. It's called the seat.
    roflcopter.
    The Datto will rage again...

Quote Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
    I'm actually glad to see a more basic car. The more I study old school hot rods, the more I realize we take for granted all the little features in a car and how sturdy, light, and reliable they can be without them. I for one like our Ford Ranger fleet model at work with its AM/FM radio, manual windows, and carpet-delete better than optioned out cars. Over the last year I've also noticed that a lot of automakers are sadly getting rid of el-strippo models, too.

When I build my rod, it'll probably never have carpet, power steering or brakes, nor a/c. I might break down and put a stereo in if its a hardtop, otherwise if it's a open body...well, I probably won't even have a top for it, either. Stereos and rain usually don't get along well and I'm not going to bother sourcing a marine stereo or whatever for it.
    Yeah, these basic cars are the ones that wind up lasting forever because there's nothing to go wrong with. Case in point- my family owns a 1983 Accord. It has no power windows, locks, or fuel injection. My father still drives it though. It does have power steering and it's still running like a dream. Strange enough, I know of an Accord of the same model that has leather, a moonroof, and power windows and locks. Unfortunately, a retard crashed into it while it was parked. Another Accord bites the dust.

That car is awesome. I love it to death.

can a mod put this under "Asian Cars"?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    can a mod put this under "Asian Cars"?
    Aren't you a mod?

Thread Information