Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Failed cars that shouldn't have

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    Saabs, Alfas, and all those other strange cars that car fetishists like us love.
    Jaguars, Lancias, Triumphs, big Citroëns. Even Rovers before they started being Honda copies. And man more probably.
    Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post
    Remember the thread ... the Corrado was a great car that shouldn't have failed. Being marketed in heavy company, the relatively high price hurt it in the USA. There were misunderstandings about the G-lader here, too. Go figure.
    I meant in terms of sales numbers.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Corrado Production

About 97,000 built over 7 years, 9,000 for the UK market. Not certain how many were US imports, but that's less than 12,000 annually.
    The G60 was replaced by the VR6 after just two years of production, but sales continued to slip and VW pulled the plug in '95.
    Interesting parts-bin leftovers: VW used the mirrors on the EB110.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

About 97,000 built over 7 years, 9,000 for the UK market. Not certain how many were US imports, but that's less than 12,000 annually.
    The G60 was replaced by the VR6 after just two years of production, but sales continued to slip and VW pulled the plug in '95.
    Interesting as at the time (AFAIK) of the EB110 Bugatti was still owned by Artioli, and not by Piech.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Those mirrors look quite different honestly.
    Besides, the EB110 was designed and built before of the VAG acquisition, when Bugatti was owned by Romano Artioli, an Italian entrepreneur which also bought Lotus in those days. VAG came I think 2 years after the bankruptcy.

EDIT: too slow...
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe.
    Chevrolet SSR. The Plymouth Prowler deserved to die.
    Buddy: 1998-2009
    Mah boi, UCP is what all true warriors strive for!
    PINGAS!!!!

Ferrari F50 also springs to mind. The F40 is far more desireable despite being around 4 times as common.
    The F50 was limited to begin with and they sold all copies outright, it's in the secondary market that the F50 suffers.

For me it's the BMW 507, but it failed because it fell short performance wise compared to its contemporaries 300SL Mercedes, various XK jaguars, 3500 Masers and various 250 Ferrari. The bimmer was not a high performance sports car more a boulevard cruiser,but god it's gorgeous.
    Last edited by Rizaven; 07-21-2010 at 03:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rizaven View Post
    For me it's the BMW 507, but it failed because it fell short performance wise compared to its contemporaries 300SL Mercedes, various XK jaguars, 3500 Masers and various 250 Ferrari. The bimmer was not a high performancesports car more a boulevard cruiser,but god it's gorgeous.
    Z8 by the way, too.
    Visca Catalunya!

The Z8 was successful enough that Alpina bought the rights to keep building it though. Not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    The Z8 was successful enough that Alpina bought the rights to keep building it though. Not bad.
    If they are they don't advertise it on their own website. Their model data shows production 6/2002 - 10/2003...
    anyone know how many were built?

Again though... all these are examples of halo cars not intended for mass production. And the Corrado, slow?
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

AFAIK, Alpine produced a modified Z8, like they've been doing with BMW for years, but that's it.

However, the Z8 despite being a halo car indeed, it wasn't 8C-like limited production. So it probably was a bit of a flop. A shame because I always thought it looked so beautiful.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    AFAIK, Alpine produced a modified Z8, like they've been doing with BMW for years, but that's it.

However, the Z8 despite being a halo car indeed, it wasn't 8C-like limited production. So it probably was a bit of a flop. A shame because I always thought it looked so beautiful.
    Although not so horribly expensive as the 507 it shared the basic lines, so apparently the limited success of the 507 was carried over to the Z8. Perhaps the target group, (those that buy fast sportscars) considered the lines a bit too feminine (then and recently).
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post

iirc correctly Alpina could produce itsversion only after BMW sold all their cars.
    also, afaik, they sold all the cars they wanted to produce, so if that's correct I don't really see a flop there. iirc they are still quite expensive to buy on the second hand market too.

Well, then it's a bit of a shame that they didn't make more of them.

The drivetrain of what's arguably the best sports saloon ever made in a gorgeous two seater roadster body? Sign me in, please.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
    The SSR was an answer to the PT Cruiser, which was in itself an answer to a question nobody really asked. Sold very well in california to the lowrider crowd, but sat on lots everywhere else. The prowler was a radical muscle/hotrod concept that they put into production with a V6. Even if it made the power it wasn't going to sell in that market with a 6.
    I fail to see that connection. The PT cruiser was a quirky alternative to a soccer mom van, to which I believe chevy answered with the HHR.
    The SSR is pretty much a corvette truck afaik. Its also hugely popular here, with a large following of diehards that plan all sorts of events. They've got more fancy custom paint jobs on these things than you could shake a stick at. While it may not be common, its definitely not uncommon either.
    The Prowler on the other hand is a little different. Despite its V6 its also got quite the cult status among the yanks and canucks. It had a pretty good run if you ask me. They built them for like 6 years.
    Both vehicles will be (if they're not already) classics, as much as it may hurt some to hear that. I really don't understand peoples' hate towards these vehicles. I think its very refreshing to see something different driving around. I could never see myself owning either, but there's just something so cool about oldschool American.

To the best of my knowledge, the SSR was the first power retractable hardtop that didn't compromise trunk space when the roof was folded. The Miata is the only other one I can think of. Also the SSR unquestionably has the largest trunk of any convertible!
    I would love to have one of the later 6L 6spd models. I'm not going to buy one but I would love to have it

Thread Information