Go Back   Ultimatecarpage.com forums > Automotive forums > Car comparison

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Peugeot 504 Coupe 24 66.67%
Peugeot 406 Coupe 12 33.33%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-13-2008, 07:27 AM
Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to Cotterik
the 406 coupe seems like nothing in particular. its not a 406. but its not really much else. it doesnt look sporty. doesnt drive sporty. its not in the same class as a hyundai coupe. i cant see why you'd want to buy it. its pretty bland aswell.. same goes for the 407 coupe imho.

so I'd go for the 504. looks like a nice classic car to drive around on the weekend.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:44 AM
The Special One

Porto - Portugal
The original 406 Coupé is a very beautiful car.
The 504 Coupé is more special. It has a very original shape and it's an honest and elegant affordable classic.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:09 AM
Enthusiast

Conrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revo View Post
What kind of fact is that?
Well, if it's about modern classics, it is still the best looking parked next to the 1st and 2nd gen CLKs, and it looks like a proper mercedes should look, taut, firm bodylines, unlike the shrek-like 1st gen clk, and the "is-that-a-c-class-or-e-class-2nd-gen-clk".

Nonetheless, your query had made me took a long hard look at the 300ce and 406c again, coupled with my 206cc drive 2 weeks back up and down one of the mountain roads in my country (best drive I've had) which had totally reversed my opinion about this car (previously I dubbed it's the 3rd gay-est car; 1st being merc slk, 2nd porsche boxster) and also strengthened the impression of how good oldtime Peugeot's handling are; I've concluded that the 406Coupe is now more desirable to me than the 300CE.

Hope it handles like the 206cc or better. (at least it's more powerful than the crappy but lovely 1.6 right?)

In fact, I'd take any good handling car with crappy 100hp 1.6 ltrs over those 6.3amg power house.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:42 AM
Enthusiast

Tallinn, Estonia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingolstadt View Post
Well, if it's about modern classics, it is still the best looking parked next to the 1st and 2nd gen CLKs, and it looks like a proper mercedes should look, taut, firm bodylines, unlike the shrek-like 1st gen clk, and the "is-that-a-c-class-or-e-class-2nd-gen-clk".

Nonetheless, your query had made me took a long hard look at the 300ce and 406c again, coupled with my 206cc drive 2 weeks back up and down one of the mountain roads in my country (best drive I've had) which had totally reversed my opinion about this car (previously I dubbed it's the 3rd gay-est car; 1st being merc slk, 2nd porsche boxster) and also strengthened the impression of how good oldtime Peugeot's handling are; I've concluded that the 406Coupe is now more desirable to me than the 300CE.

Hope it handles like the 206cc or better. (at least it's more powerful than the crappy but lovely 1.6 right?)

In fact, I'd take any good handling car with crappy 100hp 1.6 ltrs over those 6.3amg power house.
From what I have heard (never driven 406 personally), 406 Coupe isn't ultimate driving machine. But it has very refined and balanced handling, by the best traditions of Peugeot.

Both 504 Coupe and 406 Coupe are highly desireable cars in my book. I actually had to flip a coin to decide which one gets my vote here.

Mercedes W124 Coupes are very good looking too...But not THAT good.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:01 AM
Enthusiast

Conrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revo View Post
From what I have heard (never driven 406 personally), 406 Coupe isn't ultimate driving machine. But it has very refined and balanced handling, by the best traditions of Peugeot.

Mercedes W124 Coupes are very good looking too...But not THAT good.
"Refined and balanced handling, by the best traditions of Peugeot"

That in itself is good enough, as for the looks, at least parked next to the current crop of Evil Smiling Great White Sharks, it's super good looking

And yes, the 300CE is darn good looking, and my dad had one 10 years back, you can't imagine the awe in my face when the seatbelt holders extended the moment I turn the ignition, and the first time in my life ABS kicked in..... (those that made a lot of noise). It is of all things the epitome of Mercedes' expertise in making good cars, reliable, extremely well engineered, powerful, unassuming looks and of course the classy feel you have when driving one, and they never look dated because it doesn't look like anything else on the road.

Speaking of the ultimate driving machine, I've only driven a 325 E46 and I must say, it doesn't feel any better than my A4 B5 1.8T, in fact I'm very pissed with the fake aluminum dash panels.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:17 PM
Furniture

Barcelona
Send a message via MSN to Ferrer
Quote:
That in itself is good enough, as for the looks, at least parked next to the current crop of Evil Smiling Great White Sharks, it's super good looking
Well look at it this way, it looks like a Ferrari (when they looked good) for a fraction of the price.
Quote:
Speaking of the ultimate driving machine, I've only driven a 325 E46 and I must say, it doesn't feel any better than my A4 B5 1.8T, in fact I'm very pissed with the fake aluminum dash panels.
I have to disagree here. The two Audis I have driven (A3 and A6, both current gen) have been utterly boring and uninspiring. Especially the A6 has the worse steering of any car I've ever driven.

On the other hand the two BMWs I have driven have been good, especially the 330i E90. Not only it had good handling but the engine was eager to rev. I felt like they were designed to be driving machines from day one.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:46 AM
Novice

Hmmm a tough choice. I think I'll go for the 406 Coupe as if it's a classic I'll get something Italian.

Tags
406, 504, coupe, peugeot, pininfarina