Go to Ultimatecarpage.com

Go Back   Ultimatecarpage.com forums > General forums > Miscellaneous

Old 07-20-2005, 05:46 PM
Size Queen

Wichita, Kansas USA
Send a message via ICQ to Matt Send a message via AIM to Matt Send a message via MSN to Matt Send a message via Yahoo to Matt
He's dead, Jim! He's dead!

Star Trek's Scotty died.

Quote:
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Actor James Doohan, best known as the feisty, Scottish-accented chief engineer on television's original "Star Trek" series -- a role immortalized by the catchphrase "Beam me up, Scotty" -- died on Wednesday at age 85, his manager said.

Doohan died at his home in the Seattle suburb of Redmond, Washington, of complications from pneumonia and Alzheimer's disease, about a year after he was diagnosed with the degenerative neurological illness, manager Steve Stevens said in an interview.

The actor's wife of 28 years, Wende, was at his side. Doohan's last public appearance was in October, when the performer, confined to a wheelchair, was honored with a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

The Canadian-born actor also had suffered from the chronic lung disease pulmonary fibrosis, which doctors believed was linked to Doohan's exposure to hazardous chemicals during his military service in World War II.

Doohan was wounded as an infantryman during the D-Day invasion of Normandy and returned to action as a fighter pilot.

A native of Vancouver, Doohan was a prolific voice actor on Canadian radio before making his move into television in the 1950s, starting with a Canadian series called "Space Command."

He made guest appearances on numerous TV shows, from "Gunsmoke" to "Bewitched," and cited his favorite film role as that of a French trapper in the 1971 picture "Man in the Wilderness," which starred Richard Harris and John Huston.

He is best remembered for playing Lt. Commander Montgomery "Scotty" Scott, the can-do chief engineer aboard the starship USS Enterprise on the original "Star Trek" series, which ran from 1966 to 1969 on NBC. He reprised the role for several big-screen "Star Trek" features.

One of Scotty's chief functions on the show was to operate the transporter device used to "beam" crew members aboard the Enterprise from distant planets -- often in response to the order: "Beam me up, Scotty."

ADOPTED BROGUE

Scotty also took command of the Enterprise when both Captain Kirk ( William Shatner) and first officer Spock ( Leonard Nimoy) were absent, and he often managed to coax a bit more power from the ship's engines at crucial moments.

The often-excitable Scottish brogue affected by Doohan for his role became as much a fixture of the show as Spock's logical stoicism or Dr. "Bones" McCoy's irascibly folksy manner.

Doohan kept his character alive through dozens of annual appearances at "Star Trek" conventions, and friends said he thrived on the adulation of fans, known as "Trekkies."

Co-stars recounted that Scotty's signature traits -- avuncular, emotional, determined, loyal -- were all hallmarks of Doohan's off-camera personality.

"He was very much like that. He really drew from himself when he performed the role," said Walter Koenig, who played Ensign Chekov on the show.

"Scotty was a drinker and an eater, and so was Jimmy," said George Takei, who co-starred as Lt. Sulu. "He was my best drinking buddy. He embraced the joy of life."

According to Stevens, Doohan auditioned for the part in several European accents before the show's creator, Gene Roddenberry, asked him what nationality he thought best suited the part.

"He said, 'It's got to be a Scotsman,' and so he did it and it ended up being a Scotsman," Stevens once recounted. He said Doohan learned to do a convincing brogue from a Scottish-born soldier he bunked with during the war.

Doohan was the second actor from the central cast of the original "Star Trek" to die -- DeForest Kelley, who played McCoy, died in 1999.

Stevens said funeral services would be for family members only, but Doohan's wife plans to send the actor's ashes into space via the private launch service that carried Roddenberry's remains into orbit after his 1991 death.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator

UK
Send a message via MSN to Jack_Bauer
So 'Scotty' wasn't really a Scot after all?! Who'd of thunk it!

It seemed as though he lived a fairly rich and fulfilled life. From the Normandy landings to the bridge of the SS Enterprise is some journey!

Sad news all the same.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

nr Edinburgh, Whisky-soaked Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Bauer
So 'Scotty' wasn't really a Scot after all?! Who'd of thunk it!
All of us with real Scottish accents - or were you joking anyway ??
Quote:
Sad news all the same.
yep
Old 07-20-2005, 06:09 PM
Furniture

UNI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Send a message via MSN to Mustang
thought you were on about the other jim
Old 07-20-2005, 06:18 PM
Enthusiast

United States of America
Send a message via MSN to F1_Master
RIP Scotty.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:59 PM
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to Orefus
Quote:
The actor's wife of 28 years, Wende, was at his side. Doohan's last public appearance was in October, when the performer, confined to a wheelchair, was honored with a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
anyone else find this weird?
Old 07-20-2005, 09:10 PM
Enthusiast

Gran Canaria, Spain
Send a message via MSN to Pando
Beam me up.god.
R.i.P
Old 07-20-2005, 09:30 PM
Fanatic

San Fernando Valley, Calif.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
All of us with real Scottish accents - or were you joking anyway ??
Some trivia about his "accent." (From the book, "The Nitpicker's Guide For Classic Trekkers.")
In the epsiode "The Doomsday Machine," Scotty "loses" his accent when telling Capt. Kirk about the detonation trigger he has wired for the starship "Constellation." When he says, "... and thirty seconds later... poof!" he is not talking with an accent! I've played that portion of the episode over and over a few times and it's true.

Actor James Doohan was missing the middle finger of his right hand. According to the same book... "In the episode "The Enemy Within," there is a quick view of Scott's right hand. In case you aren't aware, James Doohan- the actor who played Scott- is missing the middle finger on that hand.
His missing finger is more obvious in the Star Trek movie "Star Trek V: The Final Frontier."
Old 07-20-2005, 09:42 PM
Enthusiast

Rice, Virginia
Send a message via AIM to targa
geez...scotty was my favorite StarWars character
Old 07-20-2005, 09:57 PM
Size Queen

Wichita, Kansas USA
Send a message via ICQ to Matt Send a message via AIM to Matt Send a message via MSN to Matt Send a message via Yahoo to Matt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orefus
Why is it weird?
Old 07-20-2005, 09:58 PM
Size Queen

Wichita, Kansas USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by targa
geez...scotty was my favorite StarWars character
Star TREK
Old 07-20-2005, 10:06 PM
Enthusiast

United States of America
Send a message via MSN to F1_Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orefus
I'm guessing the wife part is wierd.

It means they've been married 28 years.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:32 AM
Enthusiast

RIP...

Last edited by P3RG4R3C; 07-21-2005 at 09:34 AM.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:59 PM
Enthusiast

TUJUNGA, CALIFORNIA U.S of A.
Send a message via AIM to QuattroMan Send a message via Yahoo to QuattroMan
Hey whose going to "Beam me up, Scotty" now??! he was a lucky man,he lived 85 years.....that is all I can ask for.
Old 07-22-2005, 04:17 AM
Super Moderator

nr Edinburgh, Whisky-soaked Scotland
and already someone is trygin to "cash in".

nearby town, makes me want to puke !!!

A Scottish council has revealed plans to erect a plaque in memory of the late Star Trek actor James "Scotty" Doohan.
Scripts of the sci-fi series reveal that his character, Montgomery Scott, was born in Linlithgow in 2222 and that his parents still lived there.

West Lothian Council plans to erect a plaque in the town in memory.