Go to Ultimatecarpage.com

Go Back   Ultimatecarpage.com forums > General forums > Multimedia > Matt's Hi-Res Hide-Out


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 07-13-2008, 03:04 AM
DFH's Avatar
DFH DFH is offline
Novice
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 64
the hague, the netherlands
the car looks wicked but all that torque is going to kill the cars fun factor it's almost impossible to keep the car in control
or this might improve the fun factor..
thats why i would rather go for the standard SL65
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-13-2008, 06:17 AM
LeonOfTheDead's Avatar
LeonOfTheDead LeonOfTheDead is offline
Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,826
Modena
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
What happened to the "light cars for the future" design strategy? I thought it was pretty light.
Curb weight: 1700 kg (something like 3750 lb)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nopassn View Post
after revisiting the car just now... I've got to say... it still makes me want to take my pants off. Seriously. 4100 pounds or not. It's a fine (looking) machine.
true

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFH View Post
the car looks wicked but all that torque is going to kill the cars fun factor it's almost impossible to keep the car in control
or this might improve the fun factor..
thats why i would rather go for the standard SL65
the torque is exactly the same in both the SL65 and the SL65 BS, and the standard SL is already not so fun to drive, I read a review in which the car went sideway on the highway after the driver (a proper one) simply accelerated at the maximum while doing 60 mph.
at that time, they said the SL55 was way more interesting and fun.
maybe the SL65 BS new set up and reduced weight could improve the handling capabilities of the car, but a new, proper, review is necessary.
__________________
KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-13-2008, 07:49 AM
Ferrer's Avatar
Ferrer Ferrer is offline
Furniture
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 33,266
Barcelona
Send a message via MSN to Ferrer
"SL 65 BS"...

Rather shows the point of the car...
__________________
Lack of charisma can be fatal.
Visca Catalunya!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-13-2008, 09:57 AM
The_Canuck's Avatar
The_Canuck The_Canuck is offline
Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 7,683
True North
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
"SL 65 BS"...

Rather shows the point of the car...
Beastly Slides?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-13-2008, 10:38 AM
Ferrer's Avatar
Ferrer Ferrer is offline
Furniture
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 33,266
Barcelona
Send a message via MSN to Ferrer
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Canuck View Post
Beastly Slides?
bullshit...
__________________
Lack of charisma can be fatal.
Visca Catalunya!
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-13-2008, 10:58 AM
The_Canuck's Avatar
The_Canuck The_Canuck is offline
Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 7,683
True North
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
bullshit...
Thanks, i didn't get it...
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-13-2008, 11:04 AM
Bob's Avatar
Bob Bob is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,218
Pennsylvania, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
the torque is exactly the same in both the SL65 and the SL65 BS, and the standard SL is already not so fun to drive, I read a review in which the car went sideway on the highway after the driver (a proper one) simply accelerated at the maximum while doing 60 mph.
at that time, they said the SL55 was way more interesting and fun.
maybe the SL65 BS new set up and reduced weight could improve the handling capabilities of the car, but a new, proper, review is necessary.
What a waste of a car. It can't even go in a straight line... weighs a ton... looks boring (to me)... handles like a pig, judging by the weight... and is way way way overpriced for a car that does everything wrong.

Maybe the interior's nice - but give me a seatbelt and a steering wheel and I'm happy
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-13-2008, 01:25 PM
Kooper's Avatar
Kooper Kooper is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,350
So, about the weight thing, if this is supposed to be a lighter-weight SL, I'm seriously astounded how in the world Merc managed to make such a seemingly tiny car as an SL weigh the amount of an M1 Abrams...
What did they use to deaden sound? Lead?

Back to this car particular car, the wheels do not seem to fit in with everything else. Apart from that and the headlights and the ginormous wing, not bad at all.

For the price though, instead of a 5-spd. auto only, 1000+ N.m. near 500kW hairdryer without the drying option, what's wrong with a standard SL65 (assuming you really, really really, really want an SL)?
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-14-2008, 12:55 AM
LeonOfTheDead's Avatar
LeonOfTheDead LeonOfTheDead is offline
Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,826
Modena
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooper View Post
So, about the weight thing, if this is supposed to be a lighter-weight SL, I'm seriously astounded how in the world Merc managed to make such a seemingly tiny car as an SL weigh the amount of an M1 Abrams...
What did they use to deaden sound? Lead?

Back to this car particular car, the wheels do not seem to fit in with everything else. Apart from that and the headlights and the ginormous wing, not bad at all.

For the price though, instead of a 5-spd. auto only, 1000+ N.m. near 500kW hairdryer without the drying option, what's wrong with a standard SL65 (assuming you really, really really, really want an SL)?
AFAIK the SL65 isn't a great car and apart from some stupid celebrities, no one wanted, at least, no car enthusiasts, the SL55 /SL63 are way more balanced. maybe this could bring some new light on the SL65 with a better ride. I like the idea of extreme MB but I think they need to do a lot more work. on the base model. Probably, as the CLK63 BS, the car is a huge improvement over the SL65 or even the standard SL in terms of handling and performance (non only power and acceleration), but since it lost the comfort of an SL, all his gadgets and gizmos, it is no more an SL but it still weights a lot because of the weight of the standard SL...I would buy it, but with other 10-15 serious cars on my garage. and probably, with all that money, my "cars to buy list" would be very crowded, so I would forget about this car.
__________________
KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-14-2008, 08:12 AM
ErWin76's Avatar
ErWin76 ErWin76 is offline
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 370
Finland
Clip of Sl 65 BS at track.
YouTube - Mercedes-Benz SL 65 AMG Black Series
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 07-14-2008, 08:51 AM
LeonOfTheDead's Avatar
LeonOfTheDead LeonOfTheDead is offline
Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,826
Modena
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErWin76 View Post
three things to say:
- it appears to be quite balanced, for such an heavy car.
- where is that race track?
- I want that race track.
__________________
KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-14-2008, 12:08 PM
ErWin76's Avatar
ErWin76 ErWin76 is offline
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 370
Finland
Track is Mas du Clos in France.

Last edited by ErWin76; 07-14-2008 at 12:10 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-14-2008, 12:39 PM
LeonOfTheDead's Avatar
LeonOfTheDead LeonOfTheDead is offline
Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,826
Modena
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErWin76 View Post
Track is Mas du Clos in France.
thanks!
__________________
KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 07-14-2008, 01:16 PM
Kitdy's Avatar
Kitdy Kitdy is offline
Furniture
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Maybe the interior's nice - but give me a seatbelt and a steering wheel and I'm happy
Well said. Driving pleasure is paramount to me.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 07-15-2008, 11:32 AM
nopassn's Avatar
nopassn nopassn is offline
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 4,177
Kansas City
Send a message via MSN to nopassn Send a message via Yahoo to nopassn
After checking back in on it again today... I can confirm, yet again, this car is hotter than a horn-toad in a microwave.
__________________
...Utah! Get me two...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
german, mercedes-benz


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mercedes-Benz CLK55 AMG (C209) 2002-2006 McLareN Matt's Hi-Res Hide-Out 9 03-23-2010 05:27 PM
Mercedes-Benz SLK55 AMG Black Series (R171) 2006-2008 6'bore Matt's Hi-Res Hide-Out 9 02-08-2009 05:43 AM
Mercedes-Benz CLK63 AMG Black Series (C209) 2007-2009 Vaigra Matt's Hi-Res Hide-Out 24 08-24-2008 02:26 PM
New AMG styling for E-Class and M-Class valgabr Multimedia 12 07-14-2005 03:18 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:27 AM.

 

© 1998 - 2019 Ultimatecarpage.com