Thread: Possibly the 2 biggest weekends in motorsport, coming up!

Possibly the 2 biggest weekends in motorsport, coming up!

In the following 4 weekends, we're likely to experience 2 of the most action packed weekends in motorsport:

October 7-10: V8 Supercars Rnd10: Bathurst 1000
    October 8-10: Formula 1 Rnd17: Japanese Gran Prix (Penultimate Round)

(Fortnight later)

October 21-24: Champ Car Rnd13: Lexmark Indy 300, Surfers Paradise (Penultimate Round)
    October 21-24: V8 Supercars Rnd11: Gillette V8 Supercar Challenge, Surfers Paradise
    October 22-24: Formula 1 Rnd 18: Brazilian Gran Prix (Final Round)

To add to this, this year is turning out to be one of the most technological advanced Bathurst races, with not only the destruction and reconstuction of pit lane, to make it one of the most advanced pit lanes in the world, but Channel 10, the Oz broadcasters, have announced some great advancements in their telecast:

Historic Bathurst broadcast

Release Date: 30/09/2004

Network Ten is providing one of the biggest weekends of motor sport ever seen in Australia with a historic three day broadcast of the 2004 Bob Jane T-Marts Bathurst 1000 and a prime time broadcast of the Japanese Formula One Grand Prix on Sunday, October 10.

TEN’s Bathurst broadcast is now 18 hours over three days: Friday, October 8: 1pm – 4pm, Saturday, October 9: 12pm – 5pm and Sunday, October 10: 7am – 5pm (Sunday is live into all markets).

Immediately following the Sunday Bathurst broadcast at 5pm, TEN News will provide a full round up of the Federal Election and at 5.30pm go straight to the start of the Japanese Grand Prix (5.30pm – 7.00pm).

Network Ten’s general manager, sport, David White said: “The Friday broadcast at Bathurst is testament to the size of this world class, truly iconic sporting event and to then offer a prime time broadcast of the Japanese Grand Prix reinforces our strong commitment to motor sport”.

In addition to the extended broadcast, Network Ten will offer the most technically advanced coverage in the history of this great race.

Technical innovations include:

• Flycam – will completely revolutionize motor sport broadcasting with the camera running along pit lane and pit straight at speeds of up to 120kmh, offering an incredible new perspective for viewers.

• 3D Graphics on the grid – based on the V8 Supercar computer game, this software offers a three dimensional image of how the cars will line up on the grid and can be organized in 15 seconds.

• Pitsmart technology – this combines historical race data to predict the likely outcome of a race. The software can recall every factor that can impact on race positions (ie – pit stops, lap times, safety cars). It also allows our commentators to have a stronger understanding of the strategies that can be played out by the
    teams and how that will impact race positions.

A significant addition to the international broadcasters will be China’s Shanghai TV who will show some live coverage of the Saturday and Sunday broadcasts to a potential audience of 140 million people.

While the 2004 Bathurst 1000 is the most advanced broadcast in the history of the race, it is also the biggest. A few statistics to confirm it:

• 285 crew: the largest crew for an annual sporting event in Australia (note: every member of the crew is transported and accommodated from around the country).

• 34 cameras around the track: the most in the history of the race.

• 40 in car cameras: 12 cars with 3-4 in car cameras each – the most in the history of the race.

• 230 microphones – the most in the history of the race.

• 38 kilometres of cable – just a whole lot of cable!
    I am the Stig

cant wait!!!!!!!!!!
    There is 3 people on a boat with loads of children running around it, the 3 people are: 1. Bob geldof, 2. Ozzy Osbourne, and 3. Micheal jackson, they're sailing out for the G8 live aid, they've hit a rock and they're sinking, bob says: "save the children!" ozzy says: "Fuc the children!"

Micheal says "have we got time?"

Its even bigger when you consider the next 2 rounds of Moto GP
    I am the Stig

"technological advances" - i hate it when PR guys who know nothing about motorsport get involved.

Pit lane flycams have been around for a couple of years.
    Virtual reality grids have been for 5-6 years.
    Virtual reality stages have been in WRC for 2 years - THAT is great to watch 'live'

Now the 'pitsmart' stuff sounds like the technology Ferrari use in F1 and woudl be great to see it 'public' for all teams and viewers to grasp the tactical choices.

I'm hoping that SOMEWHERE in the plethora of crap cable and satellite channels we're subjected to that SOMEONE will show Bathurts - please God ?

Coming back to the 'technological advances" - motorsport has a LOT to thank bathurst for. The in car cameras and talking to drivers in real time were a leap forward almost a decade before other sports got their act in gear. I always loved the panning cameras as cars overtook each other and the occasional driver reply "I'm a little busy right now" when asked an inane question from the commentary team
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

You should see the camera at Pukekohe where you literally see the cars drive over it, i think theyve got it on a ripple strip, or the camera shot looking back at the rear wheel, watching all the flex in the sidewall as the cars go though corner's. we got a good shot from one of them on Ambrose's car earlier in the year, where he was going through a corner and Bright was coming up the inside of him. Bright was side by side, held back, then Ambrose let him through. Great shot of racing, especially as they get literall mm's within each other and still right at the limit
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    You should see the camera at Pukekohe where you literally see the cars drive over it, i think theyve got it on a ripple strip, or the camera shot looking back at the rear wheel, watching all the flex in the sidewall as the cars go though corner's. we got a good shot from one of them on Ambrose's car earlier in the year, where he was going through a corner and Bright was coming up the inside of him. Bright was side by side, held back, then Ambrose let him through. Great shot of racing, especially as they get literall mm's within each other and still right at the limit
    Yeah, the latest gen cameras are letting them mount anywhere.

I like the bikes going over the rumble strips and their's a classcic from a couple of seasons back where the riders knee slider hits the strip and sends sparks over the camera. I keep hoping to find it on-line somewhere (hint,hint)

WRC cameras on yumps are awuseom for the image and great fun seeing the guys digging the hole in the middle of the track to put a margaraine tub box nailed to the ground. Also love them on the outside of hairpins, especially when the car wipes them out

We've just picked up a bullet-camera for the MGB, so hopeful of getting MUCH better quality vids for our next event
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

I'm really anxious for them to find a new place for them to stick a camera.....For the V8 Supercars, we've had for a while front and rear bumper cams, the side skirt cams, looking forward dash cam, looking at driver dash cam, and pedal cam. kinda funny watching the pedal cam though leading up to an accident....flat on the accelerator with the odd poke at the clutch, then all of a sudden, both feet diving on the clutch and brake
    I am the Stig

hehehe, experienced that feeling...

"ooh yea ok here i go round this corner..... ooo yea... SH!T too fast!!! ... *jams on brakes and clutch* Phew ok try again!"
    The Datto will rage again...

Thread Information