Thread: NAIAS Day 1 with new Corvette Z06 and C7.R, Porsche 911 Targa and striking Toyota ...

NAIAS Day 1 with new Corvette Z06 and C7.R, Porsche 911 Targa and striking Toyota ...

The annual North American International Auto Show (NAIAS) in Detroit kicked off today with the main press day. Taking centre stage in 2014 were the all-new Corvette Z06 and its race-ready C7.R derivative. Based on the highly acclaimed Corvette Stingray introduced last year, the new high performance model is powered by a supercharged V8, which is good for a staggering 625 bhp. This is fed to the rear wheels through a seven-speed manual or an eight-speed gearbox. The exact performance figures of the Corvette Z06 will become available once it enters production at the end of the year. The new Corvette C7.R will get its day in the sun much sooner as it will line up for the Daytona 24 Hours in little over a week.
    Porsche used the NAIAS to launch the 911 Targa 4 and the Targa 4S. Although sporting a classic appearance with a wraparound rear window a and T-bar roof, the new Targa uses sophisticated technology that enables the driver to open or close the car with a simple push of the button.
    One of the pleasant surprises this year was the striking Toyota FT-1, which not only stars on the Toyota stand but is also available in the popular computer game Gran Turismo 6. Although no technical details have been released, it does not take much imagination to see the FT-1 as a Supra successor.
    Today also several previously previewed concept cars broke cover like the Audi Allroad Shooting Brake, Infiniti Q50 Eau Rouge and Volkswagen Beetle Dune.

Enjoy the links:

2014 Chevrolet Corvette C7.R - Images, Specifications and Information

2014 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 - Images, Specifications and Information

2014 Infiniti Q50 Eau Rouge - Images, Specifications and Information

2014 Porsche 911 Targa 4 - Images, Specifications and Information

2014 Porsche 911 Targa 4S - Images, Specifications and Information

2014 Toyota FT-1 Concept - Images, Specifications and Information

2014 Volkswagen Beetle Dune Concept - Images, Specifications and Information

2014 Audi Allroad Shooting Brake - Images, Specifications and Information
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Man, Toyota's pulling out all the stops!

Can't wait to see what they have in store.

I am cautiously-excited about the Toyota; the designer implied it was designed with a straight six in mind and I've heard rumors of a partnership with BMW on that front. The only thing I don't like is the nose.

The Z06 is possessed of far too few liters and far too manifold pressures. The old one just scratched an itch that I didn't know I had.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Man, Toyota's pulling out all the stops!

Can't wait to see what they have in store.
    Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    I am cautiously-excited about the Toyota; the designer implied it was designed with a straight six in mind and I've heard rumors of a partnership with BMW on that front. The only thing I don't like is the nose.
    That alien space dong is hideous.

Speaking of inline sixes, recently, there were even rumours of Benz bringing back an I6.

The Z06 is possessed of far too few liters and far too manifold pressures. The old one just scratched an itch that I didn't know I had.
    The LS7 was God's Gift to America (™), but this thing is going to be about as fast, and exciting, as a bolt of lightning. Maybe the LT4 won't be as bat[expletive] insane as that crazy 7L, but it will be fun.

Pour out some whisky, but then take 2 more shots and buckle up!

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Speaking of inline sixes, recently, there were even rumours of Benz bringing back an I6.
    That's been all but confrimed as far as I know.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

That Toyota is seriously hideous. And anyway, I'm sure it'll have a CVT and a hybrid with a fake exhaust note and fake gears. If they ever get around producing a straight six, drop it in the GT86 and call it a day.

And yes, Benz's straight six is apparently pretty much a done prospect. It seems it has something to do with straight engine being easier for modular engines and stuff, provided you don't have to shoehorn it transversely under your car's bonnet.

Concerning the plastic sportscar for Uhmerica I agree with Miles, the engine is far too small, and direct fuel injection? Who do they think they are? The comunisitical eurohippies? I'd rather have the fat, bloated, overpriced trackday of a thing (I'm guessing that when Americans refer to trackday they have a dragstrip in mind) they call the Camaro Z28.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

So much digital ink spil't over 800cc.

Technically the supercharger is 1.7l, so it is actually a 7.9l. engine; they should have a called it the 483.

I thought that the C6 lineup covered the Corvette's bases quite well: big engine, BIG engine, and big engine with blower. I would imagine, having gone down that route, that whatever the halo car is in the Corvette range it will have either a bigger supercharger or a pair of turboes, neither idea really gets me that excited.

The previous Z06 had a nice hint of evil about it too: 5.997 x 10^-47 Planck Powers and a subtly more aggressive body made it distinguishable, but not over the top, which I think contributed to its menace. Though the 8-year old in me likes the aero they've tacked onto this, it seems out of place on anything other than a dedicated track car.

All that said, I'm sure a base Stingray would be more than enough car for me making all this talk purely academic. I would take one of those in a heartbeat over any sort of Camaro, or use the typical armchair cay buyer's way out and say "ill by used Zo6 and put strokr crank and boar cylindars 600-thou over make 999 litars!!one!1
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

The Dodge Challenger SRT8 (which is a silly name, actually) has 392 written down the sides. This instantly makes it the best American muscle car currently made. One of the best C6 versions was the Z06 soft top, which they named the 427 Convertible. Big numbers are all that American cars are all about. Americans downsizing is the same as hot hatches giving up handling, it just doesn't make any sense at all.

Having said that, supercharging is the least evil of all forced induction systems, so at least there's that. I anyway wouldn't consider a Corvette at all most probably, if I wanted to have a piece of the good ol' US of A I'd buy one of the pony cars.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Technically the supercharger is 1.7l, so it is actually a 7.9l. engine; they should have a called it the 483.

I thought that the C6 lineup covered the Corvette's bases quite well: big engine, BIG engine, and big engine with blower. I would imagine, having gone down that route, that whatever the halo car is in the Corvette range it will have either a bigger supercharger or a pair of turboes, neither idea really gets me that excited.

The previous Z06 had a nice hint of evil about it too: 5.997 x 10^-47 Planck Powers and a subtly more aggressive body made it distinguishable, but not over the top, which I think contributed to its menace. Though the 8-year old in me likes the aero they've tacked onto this, it seems out of place on anything other than a dedicated track car.

All that said, I'm sure a base Stingray would be more than enough car for me making all this talk purely academic. I would take one of those in a heartbeat over any sort of Camaro, or use the typical armchair cay buyer's way out and say "ill by used Zo6 and put strokr crank and boar cylindars 600-thou over make 999 litars!!one!1
    I approve your use of natural units.

Autoblog ran an "elxclusive" from Tadge Juechter, head Corvette engineer saying there is no more higher performance Vette currently in the pipe. Take that with a hugue grain of salt though, as I'm sure he'd hate to dampen customer enthusiasm for this mad beast. I liked the clean lines and understatedness of the past Z06 but I have to agree with hellcat about the OTT nature of this. It makes me thing of how insane it would be to drive to and on the track.

I certainly hope Chevy has an ace up its sleve and brings stupefying performance to yet another level with a ZR1 C7. This Z06 is going to be a giant slayer and make some very pricey machinery look slow, in my estimation.

A base stingray is too much power for me. A Mustang GT is too; but it is somewhat more attainable.

I think the FT-HS concept from a few years back is far prettier (and less weird) than this thing. But if the 86 concepts taught us anything, it's that the road car will be a lot more bland than what we see here.

Love that Carrera Targa. No one ever admits it, but targa-style roofs are easily the best looking way to get your top off. Porsche has really nailed that one - and it's fully automated to boot.
    All about the t-tops

Quote Originally Posted by TVR IS KING View Post
    I think the FT-HS concept from a few years back is far prettier (and less weird) than this thing. But if the 86 concepts taught us anything, it's that the road car will be a lot more bland than what we see here.

Love that Carrera Targa. No one ever admits it, but targa-style roofs are easily the best looking way to get your top off. Porsche has really nailed that one - and it's fully automated to boot.
    I think the FT-HS was just a slightly crazier version of what the GT-86 was going to become. I think my favorite Toyota concept would be the Volta concept.

Here's an interview with the designers of the car.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO0T-eb1jrI"]Toyota FT-1 Concept! The Next Supra? - The Downshift Ep. 73 - YouTube[/ame]

There's a lot of good stuff in this car, but I honestly think there was a lot of BS about the dashboard. They obviously got it from the LF-A- the horizontally organized dash with the metal indicator stalks all scream Lexus LF-A to me.

The rear 3/4 view is my favorite, it looks a lot like an Asian Dodge Viper, which is good. The front nose is weird, but not bad looking, just strange.

Here's some information about the Volta-

2004 Toyota Volta Gallery Images - Ultimatecarpage.com

If they had made it and called it the new MR2, I'd be all over it. Funny how crude electric cars were back in 2004 and Toyota made the Volta concept before the Tesla ever even came out.
    Last edited by NSXType-R; 01-17-2014 at 06:49 PM.

Great stuff at NAIAS as usual, the C7 Z06 is just sick...

Thread Information