Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Top Gear Australia

TGpatrick, I think your on the money about the shark stunt, I found it trailed off after the joke about wearing a brown suit, the shots got all frantic, music was threatening, but then for some reason it just ended, I was like wtf?

That and what was the maybach review about? I dont know how many people care about headphones and calling home. The intro was longer than the review!
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Uk tg!!! Yeya!!!!

I tried watching, but their typical Aussie accent really annoys me.

Wait... this is a thread full of Aussies.

*ducks for cover*
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

Its ok david, your french, we dont like you either.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Quote Originally Posted by whiteballz View Post
    Its ok david, your french, we dont like you either.
    Hahaha, I deserved that!

Did make me genuinely laugh though.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

i don't think it was the accent that made them annoying lol...
    the hammond rip-off needs to f*ck off and die. speaking of which; why'd they have to try and replicate the UK hosts personality wise? would have been one area where they could safely depart from procedure... making their own mark so to speak
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

I will watch this tommorow and give opinons. Doesnt soudn goo tho
    EDIT: torrent finished earlier than i though it would. The JAmes MAy guy was ok at times, but aside form that i really didnt warm to the other presenters. Good on them for explointing Oz's ecological diversity, tho. Need a couple less challenges. Ford v Holden wil be interseting, and I like their choice of a resonably priced car better than UK's. The American version will be S-H-I-T unless they test a hella lotta old muscle cars.
    Last edited by f6fhellcat13; 09-29-2008 at 11:57 PM.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

The old guy, Charlie Cox, can drive pretty well. He raced a Ford Mondeo in the BTCC back in the mid-1990s - even had a huge shunt in one. Since then, I believe he has dabbled in sports car racing. He also commentated on the BTCC in, I think, 1998/99. I don't remember him shouting then. Probably because he wasn't in front of a live studio audience. Wish he'd stop shouting so much.
    Warren Brown will be good - for some reason I like him.
    The other guy - well, can't say I think much so far.

The show itself was about a B mark. I didn't like the editing in the hot laps and the track doesn't seem to flow. The humour does seem forced - but it was the first show so will take time for the hosts to gel there.
    Overall, much better than any other Australian motoring show I've seen. But a long way short of TGUK. And that's where this show's problem lies - people compare it to TGUK and they shouldn't. Compare it to The Car Show or similar horrors and it stands up better.
    And I noticed, the Stig is really short.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by motorsportnerd View Post
    the Stig is really short.
    id say hes max wilson or bargs lol their both unemployed atm lmao
    Lifts heavy things and hits hard......also eats as much as 2/3 people and sleeps 10 hours a day!

The biggest problem I have is the obvious personality matching they try and acheive.

Charlie Is the Alpha & as such tries to emulate Clarkson. He ends up sounding really raspy by the end of his speeches & lacks the wit & proper cynicism of Clarkson. His knowledge is both a blessing & a curse because while he's great at getting his point across no one likes a smart ass.

Mini-Me tries to be Charlie's foil but it just doesn't work because perosnality wise he doesn't have a leg to stand on. His best asset may very well be his Yoof appeal but I'm part of that generation & I just thought he was try hard.

I've seen Warren on TV before (as part of the "Moving Pictures" Segment on ABC's "Insiders" Sunday morning current affairs program), so I know he's got chops comedy wise. He was also probably the truest to his own personality but again (and especially) during the Maybach reel it was just so....forced.

I guess thats my biggest criticism of the program - TGUK has had nearly 11 seasons for these three blokes to learn each others nuances & react accordingly. However if you watch back to the first few seasons (and especially with James' introduction) you can see they didn't try to be all back-slappingly friendly straight off the bat. They worked at it & made the progression natural as they warmed to each other - thus making the connection believable.

It was just so fake on TGAU that it was almost unbearable to watch.

Also, more crazy S**t like Charlie Leaping a RAV V6 would be appreciated. that was the only genuinely entertaining or surprising thing of the night.

I want this program to succeed, I really do. But it's going to take a LOT of work.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

So noone likes the midget, He is a bit over the top with his actions head movement and voice, He's like a ice addict who has had more then one hit, He's jumping his excited and all he is chatting about is a paddle flips.
    I was waiting to see a bulge of some type the way he was getting off on them paddle shifts.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Overall, much better than any other Australian motoring show I've seen. But a long way short of TGUK. And that's where this show's problem lies - people compare it to TGUK and they shouldn't. Compare it to The Car Show or similar horrors and it stands up better.
    exactly right
    And I noticed, the Stig is really short.

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    The biggest problem I have is the obvious personality matching they try and acheive.
    I guess thats my biggest criticism of the program - TGUK has had nearly 11 seasons for these three blokes to learn each others nuances & react accordingly. However if you watch back to the first few seasons (and especially with James' introduction) you can see they didn't try to be all back-slappingly friendly straight off the bat. They worked at it & made the progression natural as they warmed to each other - thus making the connection believable.

It was just so fake on TGAU that it was almost unbearable to watch.
    this is the problem in calling it top gear imo. had it been called anything else it would have been fine
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    exactly right

this is the problem in calling it top gear imo. had it been called anything else it would have been fine
    If they didn't call it top gear, everybody would say its a lame rip-off of top gear.As long as TGAUS isnt as epic as TGUK its a lose/lose.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Didnt watch it, from sounds of things i wont bother till season 2 if there is one.
    The Datto will rage again...

I thought Charlie Cox made a reasonable go of it.

Warren's Great White Shark skit with the lime-green Moke was imo a piece of (uniquely aussie) brilliance

Absolutely hated the nerdy hampster clone, whatever his name is, Pizzani (?) or pissant more likely. Seemed like he threw the dreaded 'actually' word into every single phrase, not just sentence. So it was a veritable barrage of "Actually I actually think that I'm actually chronically overusing one word, actually."

The test track was badly depicted, hard to fathom.

Overall could be better, but thankfully could have been worse. Much worse

However it is a pity that TG-Oz looks destined towards a format of lightweight superficiality and doesn't appear to be anywhere near the calibre of the ABC's excellent old 'Torque' motoring program, for those that remember it, nor does it seem likely to approach it

Thread Information