Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jackass Clarkson destroys 911

[QUOTE=Matra et AlpineWhat planet are you on today ??

It was from one of Clarksons VERY SUCCESSFUL DVDs.
    It clearly isnt' "art" you enjoy ... I personally dont' like Bergman movies. It' IS fun.
    As said before .... it took 20 years for folks to understand Motny Python humour. Brits DO find it funny. Jsut as slipping on a banana skin was funny in silent movies. ( Hey that's making fun of someone hurting themslevs -- ban it !!! )

QUOTE]

Well, we Americans don't understand why the French like Jerry Lewis so much ... but then, 40 million of us think the lowest-common-denominator of American Idol is great (very successful) entertainment. Yeah, it blows.

Look, have fun with it if you want. I'm pretty sure there's no chance of it being banned. But it isn't the Fish Dance.

Some of us are simply expressing an opinion that this isn't productive for the motoring hobby.

Carney shows and county fairs used to trash old locomotives, cars, and WW1 biplanes for spectacle too... entertainmment for the masses. And our historical references to these examples of engineering are the poorer for it, with few examples of these devices left for future generations to appreciate and enjoy. Once, common Hudson Terraplanes were popular to crash into flaming walls in the 1950s... try finding a good example today. Not that mid-1970-80s daily transports are in anyway worthy of reverence. The point is, parts is parts, and if commonplace autos are destroyed for fun, pretty soon there goes the rarer stuff. There are NO Bagheera's in the US to speak of.
    Original parts for once common things like my little BMW 700 Sport or Cabrio? Now made of Unobtanium...hard to get and expensive, even in Europe. While you almost can't give away an old Lancia in America, they seem to fetch a pretty Eruo.

I'm gonna stay out of these threads from now on as my principle interests are classic cars.
    But I will say, culture devolves as we allow it. Entropy is, after all, the natural state of the universe.

And please, don't compare what that wanker is doing with old Porsches to the comic genius of Python. Clarkson is no Henry Manney.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

land of the Desert Extreme Challenge Rally
    Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    By simply stating that the they were going to show the build quality using a totally written-off car, he might have contributed to the issue in a positive way. What he choose to do is both literally and figuratively a destructive sort of journalism.

Being an avid fan of Monty Python I totally fail to see the parallel with this sort of humour.
    Ever heard the saying "You only know the true value of something when you don't have it anymore"?

It was an escuse for destroying the car but on the subject of the escuse, well, you'll only know how tough it was if you see how much it could resist right?

He can be banned from the television show but the fact is it is STILL funny. It was made in UK FOR the British and if they're satisfied then why should Clarkson think about anybody else. I'm lucky to be born here where you can adapt nearly every culture (accent, humour etc) simultaniously and once you get by the fact that it's done and he's not going to stop anytime soon, you might as well enjoy it. BTW guys (you know who you are) if you want to debate about this please refrain from personal comments as it'll only create misunderstanding Clarkson is different in his own way, just like Mr Bean when he blew paint in his room or slipped in the toilet or fell down the stairs or left a child crying and you never had anybody complain about that (as far as I can remember, anyway). In the end, if you like it, watch it, if you don't, then don't!

/endthread
    Last edited by spi-ti-tout; 05-29-2006 at 06:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by csl177
    [Once, common Hudson Terraplanes were popular to crash into flaming walls in the 1950s... try finding a good example today. Not that mid-1970-80s daily transports are in anyway worthy of reverence.
    yep. THere arent' many Morris Marina's around either -- commonly used in 70s car shows for police car chases and crashed.
    Does anyone care ?
    No it was a POS and haivng the last oen STILL doesn't make it desirable
    The point is, parts is parts, and if commonplace autos are destroyed for fun, pretty soon there goes the rarer stuff.
    The point I was making is that these things are going to the scrap yard DAILY.
    There are already companies srtripping and shelving in the hope of making a fortune in some time in the future.
    BUT there is a limit there too.
    We can get all misty-eyed as we like but MONEY is what determines it and once there are "enough" 911 parts on shelves then the rest have little value.
    There are NO Bagheera's in the US to speak of.
    AFAIK there are NO Bagheeras in the US, so it's no great loss
    But the Bag isnt' a collectable and it's uniqeness isnt' special enough ( 3 seats abreast ) that it will NEVER become a 911 comparable collectible.
    That's economics and taste for you.
    Original parts for once common things like my little BMW 700 Sport or Cabrio? Now made of Unobtanium...hard to get and expensive, even in Europe. While you almost can't give away an old Lancia in America, they seem to fetch a pretty Eruo.
    Yep and as prices and availability increases then the remainging cars become worth saving.
    So in 50 years time you wont see JC smash a 911
    But while there's so many duffers around then it's fair game for humour.
    ( BTW ebay.co.uk today has 43 911s for sale and a mere £3500 nets you a 1972 PORSCHE 911 TURBO TARGA RED )
    I'm gonna stay out of these threads from now on as my principle interests are classic cars.
    And you know so are mine.
    Perhaps it's because I've been doign this for 20+ years with Bagheera's and have grasped the REAL value of a car and the NECESSITY to let some go for scrap
    But I will say, culture devolves as we allow it. Entropy is, after all, the natural state of the universe.
    Or alternately, life imitating art, then folks will start appreciating other cars and not hold 911s on a pedestal and more BMW 700s will be saved !!!
    And please, don't compare what that wanker is doing with old Porsches to the comic genius of Python. Clarkson is no Henry Manney.
    And SITLL mnissed the point .... you do know how much of the world called anyone laughing at MP wankers and the program makers imbeciles :OWNED:

Also, you need to read ALL of Clarkson if you wan tto do comparisons with Manney. So many think of him only of what they see on TG That's like deciding GWB is an idiot because of his speeches --- oh wait
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

There is no 1972 Turbo.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by spi-ti-tout
    Ever heard the saying "You only know the true value of something when you don't have it anymore"?
    the other thign to note to is to keep somethign COSTS.

I always have this convo on saving cars.
    There are still Bag owners who want every Bag saved.
    BUT when you ask them to pay fo rth storage costs, ot to pay to build a garage on their property and pay taxes to store it it all cahnges.

It's kind of NIMBY

Everyone wants them kept but nobody can find the money, space or time to do it themselves....... and expect someone else should.

I'm doing "my bit" with parts of 3 Bags ....
    I can't expect OTHER people to spend money.

The previous owner of JCs 911 crasher had to get rid of it.
    This week alone there are 43 UK folks using eBay to get rid of their 911s.
    We can't expect those 43 people to keep the car so it doesn't disappear

If anyone REALLY feels that bad about the 911 then take some action to stop the NEXT ONE on it's way to the scrap yard. Pay the scrap value ( about £100 these days ), find somewhere to store it. Then go for the NEXT ONE after that .... oh wait .... you can't do them all ? WHY NOT ?? Herecy .... let a 911 go to be scrapped ?? yep. It happens guys. Stop wishing others will save cars you want kept for some reason.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen
    There is no 1972 Turbo.
    Go tell the seller ..... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1972-PORSCHE-9...QQcmdZViewItem

I only passed it on.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine

I only passed it on.
    It's in need of a restoration and looks a lot worse than the one destroyed by Fruitcake Clarkson and yet is still worth 3500 Pounds. It makes me highly doubt that 911s are brought to scrapyards in the UK every day.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

I only passed it on.
    from the looks of it, it is a woman who is selling the car.....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

land of the Desert Extreme Challenge Rally
    the other thign to note to is to keep somethign COSTS.

I always have this convo on saving cars.
    There are still Bag owners who want every Bag saved.
    BUT when you ask them to pay fo rth storage costs, ot to pay to build a garage on their property and pay taxes to store it it all cahnges..
    I only used the quote to get to that "see how tough it is" next liner, I never implied it should be spared

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen
    It makes me highly doubt that 911s are brought to scrapyards in the UK every day.
    OK. maybe not EVERY day !!!

I'll take a fecking photo next time I'm in Sportscar Breakers

Jeesus, noobs !!!

THAT is a RUNNER ... her's another RUNNER .... http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/WWW...00621236895195

We're talkgin abotu cars that have failed MOT.
    Have major costs to restore.
    We went over this BS with the Lambo.
    If it costs £5,000 for an engine rebuild on a 911 and it would then be worth £5,000 then only an idiot stops it going to the scrap yard !!!
    Maybe personal finances work differently when it's in Euros
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 05-29-2006 at 07:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by spi-ti-tout
    I only used the quote to get to that "see how tough it is" next liner, I never implied it should be spared
    ah sorry took it the other way round

the fact that 911s go to the scrapyard and yet it is unpleasant to see one destroyed so clumsily gives rise to the following analogy.

For those how regularly eat meat it a considered to be a fact of life that cattle ends up in a slaughterhouse. Yet one cannot escape to feel slightly embarrassed when you see a cow being killed right in front of you...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

people complaining about Clarkson destroying a Porsche are taking this way to serious. the film dates from a few years ago, get over it he usually does this caravans etc. I thought it was funny to watch. so don't make such a big deal out of it it's not. If Clarkson were ever to read some of these comments he'd laugh out loud. And so would I

If it costs £5,000 for an engine rebuild on a 911 and it would then be worth £5,000 then only an idiot stops it going to the scrap yard !!!
    Maybe personal finances work differently when it's in Euros
    If that logic would actually be applied there would be no historic cars left at all. It's rediculous to expect a repair to any car to be worth the money. I'm positive that you have spent more on your cars than they have increased in worth. So it would have been best to send them to the breakers or let Idiot Clarkson destroy it. Also I don't appreciate being called a noob.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    the fact that 911s go to the scrapyard and yet it is unpleasant to see one destroyed so clumsily gives rise to the following analogy.

For those how regularly eat meat it a considered to be a fact of life that cattle ends up in a slaughterhouse. Yet one cannot escape to feel slightly embarrassed when you see a cow being killed right in front of you...
    Nope doesnt' bother me.
    nor my daughter who regularly eats chicken from the farmers own flock.
    She even knows the names of the ones she's eating.
    Go to any village in France andn they're comfortable with eatign what they see. Go to third world areas and village food is the previous days village pet

NOT knowing and accepting our food chain is perhaps an underlying indicator of those who want every 911 to somehow be miracoulously saved

Thread Information