Thread: Mazda MX-R01

Mazda MX-R01

Mazda MX-R01

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Jump to: navigation, search

The Mazda MXR-01 was a Group C sportscar used by Mazda's factory team Mazdaspeed in the 1992 World Sportscar Championship season. It would be the final Mazda entry in sportscars since the inception of their Le Mans project in 1983.

Development
    Following Mazda's success in winning the 1991 24 Hours of Le Mans with their rotary powered 787B, Mazda had hoped to continue in sportscar racing and prove that their lone win was not a fluke. However, with the reorganizing of the World Sportscar Championship in 1992 by the FIA, Mazda found itself with a problem in that their rotary engines were now banned. Instead, teams would be required to use technologically advanced V10 powerplants similar to those used in Formula 1. Mazda, not having had many racing engines outside of their rotaries, decided that the cost of developing an entirely different engine was not worth it, especially with budgetary concerns within the company. At the same time, if Mazda were to use a V10 powerplant, they would be required to build an entire different car, since the 787B could never hold a V10.

Thus, Mazda came to the decision of buying an existing V10 engine. They turned to Judd (Engine Developments), who had developed their GV10 3.5L V10 for Formula 1 in 1991, and arranged a deal in which the Judd engines would be badged as Mazdas, carrying the name MV10.

For a new chassis, Mazda also turned to an existing design, this time going to Tom Walkinshaw Racing (TWR), who had worked with Jaguar until they dropped out of sportscar racing at the end of 1991. Jaguar's final entry, the XJR-14, was offered by TWR to customers for 1992, and Mazda jumped at the opportunity to use the car which helped win the 1991 championship for Jaguar. Again, the car would be rebadged and renamed as the Mazda MXR-01.

Unfortunately, although the XJR-14 was the 1991 champion, it had not been updated since the end of that season, and Mazda had neither the technical understanding of the XJR-14 nor the cash flow to continually upgrade their MXR-01 on the same scale as Peugeot and Toyota were able to do in 1992. Their Judd powerplant was also considerably underpowered in comparison to the other factory teams.

Racing history
    Mazda was able to successfully finish third in the teams championship of the 1992 World Sportscar Championship season, with a best result of second in the 500km of Silverstone. At Le Mans the team were able to briefly lead the race at various parts of the first hours in front of the dominant Peugeot squad before finishing an honorable 4th. Throughout the season the team ran only a single-car effort, with the exception being two cars for Le Mans.

In Japan, Mazdaspeed campaigned a single MXR-01 in the All Japan Sports Prototype Championship, was equally unsuccessful, finishing 2nd in the constructor's championship, although it had only two other competitors in Toyota and Nissan, although in races where the MXR-01 had no competition in its class, it did not score points, which affect its points total.

After the 1993 seasons of both the WSC and JSPC was cancelled, and the RX-792P was deemed a failure in IMSA, Mazda was forced to drop out of sportscar racing altogether.

Chassis
    A total of five MXR-01s were built by Tom Walkinshaw Racing for use by Mazda.

* MXR-01 #001 - Raced exclusively in the JPSC
    * MXR-01 #002 - Spare used as a test car at Le Mans
    * MXR-01 #003 - Spare used as a test car at Le Mans
    * MXR-01 #004 - Ran entire WSC schedule
    * MXR-01 #005 - Second car for Le Mans only.

Mazda MXR-01 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by carreragt10; 12-28-2007 at 02:10 PM.
    Sorry if I cannot express myself correctly, but I don't know English as good as I want, so my answers will probably be the same in many cases.

Mazda MX-R01 #2
    Sorry if I cannot express myself correctly, but I don't know English as good as I want, so my answers will probably be the same in many cases.

Mazda MX-R01 #3
    Last edited by carreragt10; 12-28-2007 at 02:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by carreragt10 View Post
    It would be the final Mazda entry in sportscars since the inception of their Le Mans project in 1983.
    what about B-K Motorsports in ALMS?
    Should Comcast, which is buying NBC, have more motorsports coverage on VERSUS and now NBC? Does North America need a racing tv channel? Find the answer to that exact question on facebook.

Should Comcast, which is buying NBC, have more motorsports coverage on VERSUS and now NBC? Does North America need a racing tv channel? Find the answer to that exact question on facebook.

Do you have any more information on Kudzu Mazdas? The web isn't helping me much.

Thread Information