Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: mr2 Engine swap recommendations

here is information right off of the HKS website: http://www.hksusa.com/FAQ/?id=1596

here is the superstreet magazine article about the car: http://www.superstreetonline.com/fea...618/index.html

if anyone is too lazy to read all of that, heres the important stuff:

These days, it seems as though turbocharged Integras are about as common as bad reality-based TV shows. This Integra's S2000-inspired starter button lights the wick on a 1.8L motor that's supercharged and turbocharged. Jon Kuroyama of HKS borrowed from the company's now defunct twin-charger MR-2 product to inspire the engine development of this Meguiar's Integra project. Using a small, pulley-driven, roots-type compressor that's pumping about 4.5 pounds of boost, the blower minimizes lag and improves the engine's low-speed response.

Meanwhile, on the exhaust end, an HKS 2835 turbo is tucked under a stainless steel exhaust manifold, delivering about 16 pounds of intercooled boost to the supercharger. So, we're toying with about 20 pounds of boost on what's still a stone stock Type R B18C motor with 11:1 static compression.

the stuff yall are sayin on here is crazy. you have no idea how much i wish i could afford all this. though being only 17 thats gonna be kinda hard for me to accomplish. i love my lil MKII, my friends are constantly tallin me that i know to much about my car and that i need to find a life. id love to give it the power it deserves but i guess i cant really give it everythin ya know.

yall got any ideas for somethin i could put together for about 2k - 2.5k?
    id love to hear them, as well as any other wisdom yall would like to impart on me.

and just as a forward, i apologize for my ignorance, i am only 17 and have just recently gotten into tunnin my tuner

Didn't read all the thread, but I read enough to know we need a Honda Type-R engine in there a' la Sun International Elise. That's the ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by TEX
    its been done on everything from MR2's to mustangs, infact PSI-FI has kits for the supercharged cobalt/saturn ion redline, and the minicooper type s.
    Most (almost every) twin charge systems have the S/c on a clutch that uncouples it as it leaves the low rpm comfort zone. If you are speaking of a S/c feeding a turbo thats a rare setup.
    At high rpm a S/c heats air up a lot and turbos aren't designed for that kind of abuse.

i know the sequential turbo setup, i have built more than one supra. no, this is a totally new idea, and only a few people understand (if people dont understand they are hesitant to try it) or run it.
    It isn't a totally new idea, S/cs and turbos have been around for decades and every combination has been thoroughly experimented with.
    A S/c(common roots type moreso) makes air very hot, a S/c fed by turbo would transport you to the wonderful land of detonationville.

And no a "stand alone engine management system" won't magically solve all your problems.
    Horsepower wins races. Torque pulls trailers.

http://www.nuerburgring.de/fileadmin/webcam/webcam.jpg <Live cast from the 'Ring.

I'm also kinda new with things, (just got my MR-2 a couple days ago.) Has anyone ever toyed with the idea of throwing either the '00 Celica 1.8. It can spin up pretty fast with minimal work. High RPM power with low RPM economy is useful. Or perhaps the Scion tC's 2.4? Both get more naturally aspirated power than the 3S-GTE without a turbo. Throw on the boost and your ready for power. And they are smaller than a Camry or Solara V-6 so the installation may be easier.

For the Gen2 MR2, by order of difficulty, here are the swaps that will work:

1) upgrade the na engine (toyota 5s-FE) to a 3S-GTE (mr2 turbo engine)
    2) upgrade to the later MR2 3S-GTE (JDM 1994 or later I believe)
    3) Toyota V6. The 3VZ, and 1MZ (Camry engines) have been done, along with the 5VZ (tacoma engine)
    All of the above can use either of the 2 available MR2 manual transaxles

4) And then there is the V8 swap. I am putting a V8 with a 6 speed manual transaxle into my gen 2 MR2. I am far enough along to know that it will for sure work.

Last edited by cbulen; 11-17-2010 at 12:32 PM. Reason: corrected info

hey mate have you got pics of that? sounds interesting, a build thread would be great.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Hi Clutch Monkey, if you are asking me, then see my signature for my website/build diary.
    Last edited by cbulen; 11-17-2010 at 12:32 PM. Reason: correction

Toyota make their own V8

the 4 cly would be the least weight - but being mid mounted the engine swop weight increase doesnt affect the car as much as a FF or FR

the V6 is a great option for road reliable HP , but if you can afford to get the work done then cost wouldnt be such an worry would it :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Badsight View Post
    Toyota make their own V8

the 4 cly would be the least weight - but being mid mounted the engine swop weight increase doesnt affect the car as much as a FF or FR

the V6 is a great option for road reliable HP , but if you can afford to get the work done then cost wouldnt be such an worry would it :-)
    Yup, they sure do! Too bad it doesn't fit in an MR2. My Northstar V8 is aluminum so it weighs less than my 3S-GTE in my MR2 Turbo

The V6 is a great option. You will still need to fab a right side (passenger side in USA, and driver's side for island nation) engine mount.

Last edited by cbulen; 11-17-2010 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Correction

i dont know much about Toyota 4 cylinders , but is the 3S-GTE a cast iron block ? because thats an awfully heavy 4 cyl if the Northstar is lighter

ive converted a Toyota Hilux from the 3L diesel to the 1UZ V8 , the 1UZ was lighter than the cast iron block/head diesel . so much so that the handeling was noticably better after the 4.0L V8 was installed :O

the 3S is iron block, aluminum head. By the time you bolt the stock partly cast iron turbo to it, stock cast iron exhaust manifold, stock cast iron turbo elbow to cat, stock cast iron Catalytic converter, it gets really damn heavy.
    Last edited by cbulen; 07-23-2009 at 10:17 AM.

ohhh ok - that is not ideal at all

afaic cast iron is unacceptable in a sports car , the penalty is extreme compared to aluminum

if i was an SW20 owner i so would be looking for a replacement 4cyl . you would be keeping 80 kg in the car compared to a similar alloy 2.0L 4 cyl

There are other forums dedicated to the MR2 that cover engine swaps. My own V8 swap is documented on the MR2OC.com as well as my site and a couple of other forums.

Swaps that have been done before on the MR2:
    1MZ-FE (alluminum 3.0 liter V6 from the camry/lexus )
    3VZ-FE (iron block 3.0 liter v6 from the camry--this engine can take more boost than the 1mz)
    5VZ (iron block 3.4L V6 from the tacoma) I am unsure if they have figured out how to make this engine rev. In its stock application, its set up for low end torque. You can search the MR2 forums for this info.

A few years ago, Jeff Hartman did a series of articles in Turbo magazine when he swapped a 1mz into his MR2. He put a supercharger on it for low end power, and a really big turbo for the upper end. The idea was to eliminate turbo lag with the supercharger, and to have top end power when the supercharger would have held the engine back at high RPM's. It worked great, but he had too much boost for the 1mz. At 600 WHEEL hp, the heads were lifting. He wrote a book on it. I reference his book on my site.

Also, in 2003 or 04 (IIRC), Brad Bedell made the 1mz swap famous in the MR2 because he entered his supercharged 1mz MR2 in the Sport Compact Car Magazine Ultimate Car Challenge. He won hands down. THis was with a 14 year old car! Of course, he rebuilt the car from the ground up, but the fact was he was competing against much newer technology and still won. The advertisers for SCC were not happy, as they cater to Evo's, RX8's, WRX's, etc. THey don't cater to 1991-1995 MR2's which were low volume to begin with and by 2005 were 14 years old.
    Last edited by cbulen; 07-23-2009 at 10:47 AM.

I just realized this thread is 5 or more years old.

Page 1 of this thread contains photos of Brad Bedell's V6 MR2 (yellow one). YOu can see the supercharger setup, and the later supercharger + NOS

Thread Information