Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Interested

5 45.45%
  • Not interested

6 54.55%

Thread: 3D digital image creation?

3D digital image creation?

I am curious as to how many of you would be interested in a new photography competition that sort of combines a whole new element, 3dimensional creations, with various digital programs you already know.

The main program I have heard of for 3D digital creation and editing, is "Bryce", primarily 5.0 as it is available for free legal downloading. You can manipulate various shapes in 3D space, alter textures, perspectives, the atmosphere and sky, lighting (somewhat) and many many more things. It is a very versatile program, but I do not recomend it for all - it is a very incredibly intensive program, that when it needs to deal with the more complex features, can take a very long time to render the final image.

What can be done further with this program, is that once you have rendered that final image, you have a standard 2D jpeg, that can be edited in photoshop. Whether or not photoshopping would be allowed would be decided by all those who are interested.

http://www.download.com/Bryce/3000-6...ml?tag=lst-0-1
    Ask questions if you have any!
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

I am interested I do some 3d modeling at school using 3ds Max. Would Bryce be required to be used for the competition or is that just for the people who do not have access to the other programs. Also i believe the competitions should be held over a longer period of time than a week.

Quote Originally Posted by deffenbaugh03 View Post
    I am interested I do some 3d modeling at school using 3ds Max. Would Bryce be required to be used for the competition or is that just for the people who do not have access to the other programs. Also i believe the competitions should be held over a longer period of time than a week.
    As of yet I am not thinking about the details of the competitions - just asking if anyone is curious/interested in them.

Bryce was just an example that I decided to use, as it is free, versatile, and popular. Whether we stick to one program is something to be debated.

I agree with the idea of making them longer than a week, as render times for these things can take an entire days work on their own.

How about 3D-CAD desings and programmes ?

Yep, I'm in. I just have to acquire a 3Dsmax

Quote Originally Posted by CdocZ View Post
    I am curious as to how many of you would be interested in a new photography competition that sort of combines a whole new element, 3dimensional creations, with various digital programs you already know.

The main program I have heard of for 3D digital creation and editing, is "Bryce", primarily 5.0 as it is available for free legal downloading. You can manipulate various shapes in 3D space, alter textures, perspectives, the atmosphere and sky, lighting (somewhat) and many many more things. It is a very versatile program, but I do not recomend it for all - it is a very incredibly intensive program, that when it needs to deal with the more complex features, can take a very long time to render the final image.

What can be done further with this program, is that once you have rendered that final image, you have a standard 2D jpeg, that can be edited in photoshop. Whether or not photoshopping would be allowed would be decided by all those who are interested.

http://www.download.com/Bryce/3000-6...ml?tag=lst-0-1
    Ask questions if you have any!
    Could you show us some of the images you have made?

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post
    How about 3D-CAD desings and programmes ?
    you can put solidworks parts/assemblys into blender!

tutorial/guide:
    http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender...lidWorks_Model

last time i tried this it crashed but i heard it was good. but i have some nice models straight from solidworks.
    autozine.org

I really like 3D modelling, but I've never really grasped the ability to 'skin' them, to make them look like something useful. The only things I ever added texture to were single texture things and tended to look a bit lame. I still quite like the hobos with the fire, the hobos themselves were just made in poser though.

Attached a few, just to explain the point.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here are 2 things I made, with a link a third. The first two are more basic in terms of the features I used, but the imageshack hosted one I used pretty much everything Bryce had to offer. Unfortunately, it is not fully rendered as thoroughly as the other two as otherwise it would take over 6 hours to render....lol

EDIT: Currently, I am open for any program to be suggested. My only suggestion is that it is free, so everyone can get it and allow for a more cohesive set of competitions. If you post about a program you know is free, it would be great if you could provide a site where it can be downloaded.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I don't think that there are enough people with the right skills and software to make this competition worthwhile..

3D ain't easy.

Thread Information