Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3947484950 LastLast

Thread: The "I just drove a..." Thread

I liked the burbly AMG V8s...

Anything that is not a diesel for a start is win in my book. Even if they do not go as a Fireball or are as Dauntless as suggested...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    Is now the time to say that I don't like the way AMG V8s sound? *ducks for cover*
    I mean, we all preferences. You can't help if you're born with bad taste.

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    Speed limiters!? What an age we live in... Lane-keeping assist is another of my bugbears; it works poorly on the potholed cash-strapped roads of post-secession-vote Quebec and I'm sure equally-poorly on the squiggly and valued-added "artistic" lane demarcations of tax-rich Europe.
    OK, so it wasn't only me who didn't know about speed limiters. That has gonna be one of the best features in a car.

Not to be a geezer, but isn't most of the driver assist crap actually annoying and distracting? Give me fully automated, or almost entirely manual. The level 2-3 weird hybrid crap is meh.

Also, you're getting too knowledgeable about Quebec politics. Terrifying. Where is fizzy when you need him?

I just test drove my cousin's wife's 2019 Civic turbo for about 5 minutes. Nicely optioned with cloth seats, CVT and 1.5L turbo. It's got nice pick up, but there's a slight turbo lag that's notable. Otherwise, should be a nice car to get from place to place. I'm actually excited now that I am primed for my first job and am likely going to need a car.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    I just test drove my cousin's wife's 2019 Civic turbo for about 5 minutes. Nicely optioned with cloth seats, CVT and 1.5L turbo. It's got nice pick up, but there's a slight turbo lag that's notable. Otherwise, should be a nice car to get from place to place. I'm actually excited now that I am primed for my first job and am likely going to need a car.
    Nice! Your first car is always special. I had a 1991 Toyota Starlet as a starter.

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Steel View Post
    Nice! Your first car is always special. I had a 1991 Toyota Starlet as a starter.
    Thanks! I love how we went from talking about hypercars as a teenager... and then decreasing your expectations to an attainable sports cars like the Supra and the 86... and then being excited about your first attainable car, which is some Civic or another runabout.

The irony is that the turbo Civic is probably faster than the Toyobaru...
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    The irony is that the turbo Civic is probably faster than the Toyobaru...
    The even scarier thing is that the turbo Civic would likely outrun a Ferrari from the mid 1980s.

The even scarier thing is that the turbo Civic would likely outrun a Ferrari from the mid 1980s.
    Except the 288 GTO

Recent drives in the last few weeks:

* Chevrolet Malibu: Rental for a road trip with my friend around Illinois. Reeked of marijuana. No silliness was had, but I doubt anyone batted an eye when the car on Florida plates drove like a moron, which I didn't exploit at all.

* 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata: My friend's car left in my care until he got sorted at his new job in Texas. Identical to mine except for the BBS kit and the perfect example of why you should buy used cars from an enthusiast. The Mazda employee who sold it had her brother - a spec Miata racer - do all the services. It felt tighter and sharper than mine despite having 15,000 more miles and "lesser"-spec tires.

* 1983 Volvo 240 Turbo: Slow, ugly, and very broken. My lovely beater that I am kind of/sort of restoring. It doesn't leak oil anymore, instead leaking coolant from the water pump. Still, it's a lot of fun hearing the old turbo fling the needle across the gauge as it builds speed.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering View Post
    Recent drives in the last few weeks:

* Chevrolet Malibu: Rental for a road trip with my friend around Illinois. Reeked of marijuana. No silliness was had, but I doubt anyone batted an eye when the car on Florida plates drove like a moron, which I didn't exploit at all.

* 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata: My friend's car left in my care until he got sorted at his new job in Texas. Identical to mine except for the BBS kit and the perfect example of why you should buy used cars from an enthusiast. The Mazda employee who sold it had her brother - a spec Miata racer - do all the services. It felt tighter and sharper than mine despite having 15,000 more miles and "lesser"-spec tires.

* 1983 Volvo 240 Turbo: Slow, ugly, and very broken. My lovely beater that I am kind of/sort of restoring. It doesn't leak oil anymore, instead leaking coolant from the water pump. Still, it's a lot of fun hearing the old turbo fling the needle across the gauge as it builds speed.
    Nice to read. And welcome back

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Steel View Post
    Except the 288 GTO
    It would certainly outrun a Mondial.

Even I'd outrun a Mondial in a bicycle.

If I had one.
    Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering View Post
    Damn, I need to get another MX-5...
    Visca Catalunya!

I have driven our 1994 Nissan Micra today. A warp back in time with a simple engine, no ABS, ASR, power steering and electric Windows, but with an aftermarket USB radio.

Not much to say about it, the car is used three times a week or so for short distances by my wife.

She has "styled" the dashboard with a Chinese lucky cat and a paranoid nodding dog. From the roof, wishing flags from Nepal provide a cosy living room feeling.

Driving this car will destroy any of your automotive ego, should you posses any
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Man of Steel; 11-25-2019 at 10:54 PM.

^^^The best driving impression and the best picture in the thread.

Oh good god, who'd want to be seen in this...
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Oh good god, who'd want to be seen in this...
    My wife, obviously

Thread Information