• Yes

22 73.33%
  • No

8 26.67%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The UCP Debate Thread...

The UCP Debate Thread...

...will not be found here.

but is having one a good idea. it will be just like the photoshop comp/photography comp/etc threads, where the winning team will select the topic for the next debate.

of course you'd have to elect a group of moderators. another way is to have the team that previously won moderate. another alternative is to have a poll on who won the debate. lastly, theres always having the option of me moderating it haha...not

anyways, vote on it. theres no more 'rules' because i don't know if it is good or not.
    badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger

i think its a good idea. it will give something to talk about, and the thread will give us all a chance to see peoples oppinions on matters. and learn some too
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

i like the idea. i was on the school debate team and succesfully debated topics such as:

"red is faster then blue"

and

"men are better then women"

The Datto will rage again...

this could get dirty
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

This is tricky, if done right it could be a real good idea, but it can get way out of hand.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

who will team up with whom?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

we should have continental debates, theres 3 continents strongly represented here (America, Oceania/Australia/NZ, Europe) so why not have 2 go against each other and the other one can ref?

best idea ive had all day!
    The Datto will rage again...

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Supra
    we should have continental debates, theres 3 continents strongly represented here (America, Oceania/Australia/NZ, Europe) so why not have 2 go against each other and the other one can ref?

best idea ive had all day!
    don't think so, I would be far better to have joint teams from different continents in order to already mitigate any prejudice there may exist. It will also look much more convincing if such teams could come up with a common point of view.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    don't think so, I would be far better to have joint teams from different continents in order to already mitigate any prejudice there may exist. It will also look much more convincing if such teams could come up with a common point of view.
    Probably the better idea. Imagine the heat coming from a debate between the U.S. deep south and those who despise Bush in places like the UK.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

and the aussies would spam the opposition to death.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey
    and the aussies would spam the opposition to death.
    we can always limit the number of posts to one per day which give the Aussies the time to really think

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    we can always limit the number of posts to one per day which give the Aussies the time to really think
    damn
    if i stop spamming my brain starts to work

I say somebody grabs a couple dice (I'll sacrifice myself for this), then everyone who's interested will make a post saying, "I, Rockefella (Damian), am interested in debating at UCP.", and finally, we will pick the teams using the roll of both dice. How the rolling would work (at random):
    Quote Originally Posted by The Idea
    • The first person to offer themself up for debating, let's use Henk for example, would be up for receiving a partner.

• The next 12 people under Henk, who posted their liking in this debate would be listed from 2-12, all/if any extras remain will sit out until space becomes available in the 2-12 lineup.

• I will roll 2 dice to choose Henk's partner, the total of the numbers on the 2 dies will automatically choose Henk's partner; however, if the partner is from the same continent, the die must be rolled again until a partner from a new continent is reached.

• This trend continues until everyone is in pairs, if there are extras remaining from the same continent or just a lone soul who didn't have a partner, then we could hold elimination-debate tournaments, lasting for, lets say.. 3 weeks each. After these three weeks, new partners will be picked and those who were partnerless before will link minds with someone from another continent.

Quote Originally Posted by Example of how partner evaluation will work
    Candidate in-line to receive partner: Henk4

11 Candidates: (this is just off the top of my head)
    -----2. Rockefella
    -----3. Blue Supra
    -----4. Matra et Alpine
    -----5. Illusionest
    -----6. Spi-ti-out
    -----7. r1ckst4
    -----8. Misho
    -----9. Wouter
    -----10. Crisis
    -----11. Cotterik
    -----12. Esperante

*Rockefella rolls both dice: 5 + 3 = Total: 8. // Partner = Misho.* (If it was someone from the same continent.. depending on where Henk is at the moment, let's say Europe, so if it had been Matra, Cotterik, or Wouter, the dies would have to be rolled again until a non-European would be chosen.)
    This idea could be stupid, or it could be genius. I'm not too sure which side it's on though, considering I wrote this crap at 3:00 a.m.
    Last edited by Rockefella; 07-09-2005 at 12:00 AM.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

The idea must suck.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella
    The idea must suck.
    give it some time, people might be sleeping

Thread Information