Thread: Nissan Maxima (8th gen - A36) 2015-

Nissan Maxima (8th gen - A36) 2015-

On February 1, 2015, Nissan aired an ad during Super Bowl XLIX titled "With Dad". Near the end of this ad a brief view of the new Maxima was seen. Following the Super Bowl ad, Nissan released two official images of the new Maxima.

The Maxima was unveiled at the April New York Auto Show 2015. Sporting an athletic body redesign, it features Nissan's "Four-Door Sports Car" positioning, a return to a marketing term used on the Third Generation J30 series (1988-1992). The vehicle is 82 pounds lighter than before, and it presents the revamped interior taking inspiration from aerospace. The VQ35DE engine was carried over with 10 more horsepower which are rated at 300 hp (224 kW) and 261 lb·ft (354 N·m) of torque. The Maxima is available with 9 exterior color options and 5 trims: S, SV, SL, SR, and Platinum.

The 2016 model year Maxima is currently on sale in North America, hoping to rekindle renewed interest from past successes.

This generation Maxima will make its debut for China in 2015 Guangzhou Auto Show with the Chinese name 西瑪, which they used as previous generation Nissan Cima.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Maxima A36 #2

Maxima A36 #3

I never understood the hype with these cars. Not just this model, but some from the past. I remember when I was in the Navy(2002-2007) guys I knew were wanting them and of course, rimz, tint, etc. I've never once liked any version of this car. But, I keep hoping one day Nissan will at least tempt me into going to look at one.

Quote Originally Posted by speedy_2 View Post
    I never understood the hype with these cars. Not just this model, but some from the past. I remember when I was in the Navy(2002-2007) guys I knew were wanting them and of course, rimz, tint, etc. I've never once liked any version of this car. But, I keep hoping one day Nissan will at least tempt me into going to look at one.
    In that segment, the full size(ish) sedan market, it is definitely the one I'd choose.

Quote Originally Posted by speedy_2 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Trailbreaker View Post
    In that segment, the full size(ish) sedan market, it is definitely the one I'd choose.
    I also don't understand where this car slots. I think it should be considered a large sedan, but the Altima isn't really a small car either. The Altima looks bigger than a Civic, and then the Maxima looks bigger than the Accord. I guess it's still the same small, medium and large lineup, but somehow the Altima and Maxima just overall visually looks bigger.

I guess it's jarring for me because Honda doesn't really make small sedans, just the Fit which is a small wagon.

Here in the Netherlands Nissan doesn't sell any sedan. And the biggest car is a x-trail. They use to sell the Primera sedan.

Quote Originally Posted by Duell View Post
    Here in the Netherlands Nissan doesn't sell any sedan. And the biggest car is a x-trail. They use to sell the Primera sedan.
    I guess you guys have narrower streets overall.

To add to the size confusion, Toyota also sells the Avalon and the Lexus ES, which are also slightly bigger sedans than the Camry and very similar in terms of equipment.

Nissan then also sells the Versa and the Sentra too at the same time (of which the Versa is available in sedan and hatch form I think). So if the Sentra is the equivalent of the Civic, then where exactly does the Altima and Maxima slot? I have no clue.

All in all, I guess options are always nice.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    I also don't understand where this car slots. I think it should be considered a large sedan, but the Altima isn't really a small car either. The Altima looks bigger than a Civic, and then the Maxima looks bigger than the Accord. I guess it's still the same small, medium and large lineup, but somehow the Altima and Maxima just overall visually looks bigger.

I guess it's jarring for me because Honda doesn't really make small sedans, just the Fit which is a small wagon.
    The main reason I'd pick the Maxima over the Altima is the standard V6, it also just feels nicer inside. With the new 2019 Nissan Altima it will emulate the Honda Accord and not come with a V6 at all.

Thread Information