Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Petersen Museum Re-opening

Petersen Museum Re-opening

We went to the remodeled and totally new and different Petersen Museum yesterday and it was nothing short of spectacular, both inside and out. After being closed for over a year we were expecting great things, and were not disappointed. It is very modern and has a lot more room for cars, having completely done away with the 'street scape'. With no less than three Pebble Beach 'Best of Shows' there, it was utterly fantastic. Accompanying photos were taken by me with my little Nikon digital which seems to adapt very well to low lighting with the required no flash. Hope you like the show.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by C-4 guy; 12-13-2015 at 07:32 PM.

The Embiricos Bentley is beautiful.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    The Embiricos Bentley is beautiful.
    Yes, it is truly one of the great classics; beautiful, fast, rare, and a great story behind it.

More from the Petersen

Here are a few more cars from the Petersen. There was a fantastic number of fabulous cars. They've acquired the Peter Mullen Collection (he is now the Chairman of the Board of the Petersen). Still, not all of the cars there were owned by the museum. The Nethercutt Museum would never cut loose with the 'Twenty Grand' and it was in the mix.
    Last edited by C-4 guy; 12-17-2015 at 07:33 PM.

I was going to say, that looks very much like the Mullin. It'll be nice to have that collection more-centrally located, rather than way out in Oxnard.
    I hope to visit when I go home for the holidays.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    I was going to say, that looks very much like the Mullin. It'll be nice to have that collection more-centrally located, rather than way out in Oxnard.
    I hope to visit when I go home for the holidays.
    You won't be disappointed.

So the Oxnard facility has been closed?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    So the Oxnard facility has been closed?
    The Oxnard facility is currently open and it looks as if it will be through 2016 at least. I have a feeling they will move the cars back and forth between locations. I went to their web site and they have the days they are open through Dec of 2016 listed. It appears to me that they have no immediate intention of closing that museum. Check it out by googling it. It's worth the time.
    Last edited by C-4 guy; 12-14-2015 at 07:31 PM.

I believe henk and W swung down Oxnard way on one of their trips to Pebble.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Yes, we have been to Oxnard and as far as we understood from Peter Mullin back then, the Petersen Museum was to be reconstructed and reopened (as has just been done) with Peter Mullin as chief of the board. I guess that becasue of the reopening the Mullin collection put some cars there temporarily. There were also cars owned by Bruce Meier, who is also a bord member of the Petersen museum. So I think it goes one step too far to say that the Mullin collection has been taken over by Petersen. (It is actually more of the other way around)
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

DSCN4697.jpg
    Yes, we have been to Oxnard and as far as we understood from Peter Mullin back then, the Petersen Museum was to be reconstructed and reopened (as has just been done) with Peter Mullin as chief of the board. I guess that becasue of the reopening the Mullin collection put some cars there temporarily. There were also cars owned by Bruce Meier, who is also a bord member of the Petersen museum. So I think it goes one step too far to say that the Mullin collection has been taken over by Petersen. (It is actually more of the other way around)
    Yes well, there are several ways of looking at it. However, the facts are that Peter Mullin is now the Chairman of the Board of the Petersen Museum, and that the Petersen Museum houses some of the Mullin Museum cars. I believe I stated that in a prior reply. By stating that they had acquired the Mullin Collection, I merely meant that Mullin cars are now housed in the Petersen location. I absolutely did not intend to mislead anyone. To demonstrate my heart is in the right place, here's more cars.
    Last edited by C-4 guy; 12-16-2015 at 07:12 AM.

The building external treatment reminds me the singular organic front of "Suites Av. 83 " apartments in Barcelona, due to the 2013 Pritzker winner Toyo Ito, a Japanese architec great admirer and follower of Catalan genious Antoni Gaudí whose famous "Pedrera House" is located nearby

C4Guy, no bad feelings, it was just that I was surprised to hear that Petersen had overtaken the Mullin collection. I knew that Peter Mullin was sort of taking over the board at Petersen. Perhaps in order to increase the number of (initial) visitors to Petersen, which is indeed more favourably located than Oxnard, a number of cars from the Mullin collection have temporarily moved to LA. When we were in Oxnard several cars from the collection were also on loan to other musea, which is a sort of common practice.

C4Guy, no bad feelings, it was just that I was surprised to hear that Petersen had overtaken the Mullin collection. I knew that Peter Mullin was sort of taking over the board at Petersen. Perhaps in order to increase the number of (initial) visitors to Petersen, which is indeed more favourably located than Oxnard, a number of cars from the Mullin collection have temporarily moved to LA. When we were in Oxnard several cars from the collection were also on loan to other musea, which is a sort of common practice.
    I totally agree with your assessment, Henk. My statements were vague at best. I also wanted to mention the fact that David Sydorick is now on the board of the Petersen and has more of his cars in the museum. This helps make the Petersen a powerhouse of super cars and board members with deep pockets. Also, tickets will go on sale Jan. 2nd for tours of the Vault. You had better make your plans to come to L.A. soon.
    Last edited by C-4 guy; 12-16-2015 at 10:44 PM.

David S was also one of the forces behind the set-up of the Oxnard facilities.

Thread Information