Quote Originally Posted by Kozy View Post
I'm sorry, while I all up for scrapping speed limits, I want that because I personally want to drive like a loon everywhere and not get done for it. I cannot see in any way how eliminating the speed limits would reduce accidents.
I have some links for you:

Speeding accounts for 2% of accidents in Britain

In the state of Iowa speed limits are up and deaths are down

I'm too lazy to find it now but Montana or Wyoming eliminated speed limits all together on some roads and experienced an extreme decrease in accidents. Of course, when they lowered the limit again the accidents came back. Most accidents aren't caused by hooligans speeding, they're caused by hooligans speeding on the same roads that people are going to slow on. It's not caused by speed itself, but by differences in speed.

The research shows that increasing the speed limit doesn't make people that used to drive 10mph over the limit continue to speed (10mph over the new limit). People drive what they think is reasonable for the road. Not having to watch your back while you drive a reasonable speed tends to decrease the number of accidents.

There is also an abundance of data that shows that lowering speed limits increases both ticket revenue and accidents- as do red-light and speeding cameras. Not only is it a blatant intrusion in to a persons privacy, it seems that it also compromises their safety.