Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: McLaren MP4-12C GT3 2011-2014

Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post
    What most people don't realize is that Ferrari is in a very competitive market segment, selling a product that is both a car and a luxury item to a relatively small, finicky and demanding clientele. Aston and Lambo have been trying to compete for years and have struggled. For the first year or two McLaren will benefit from the 'gotta have it!' factor, but once the car isn't new anymore it'll be tough to sell cars.

That being said, McLaren is arguably the 3rd greatest marques in racing history (behind Ferrari and Porsche) and I have no doubt they have the know-how to make a competitive racecar.

While talking strictly from marketing terms I think you are correct, its hard to beat an established marques like Ferrari or Lamborghini, but I still somewhat question your original statement, especially with respect to "performance". I am willing to guess probably 95% of the people who buys these cars are never going to go anywhere near the performance envelope of their cars. Its more than likely that if they did buy any of these cars, McLaren, Ferrari or otherwise, they will discover the same thrill of meshing the gas pedal and be pressed back in their seat. To get them to spend that money will be tricky for McLaren vs someone like Ferrari.

Actual performance, like I said, there is little to judge....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    While talking strictly from marketing terms I think you are correct, its hard to beat an established marques like Ferrari or Lamborghini, but I still somewhat question your original statement, especially with respect to "performance". I am willing to guess probably 95% of the people who buys these cars are never going to go anywhere near the performance envelope of their cars. Its more than likely that if they did buy any of these cars, McLaren, Ferrari or otherwise, they will discover the same thrill of meshing the gas pedal and be pressed back in their seat. To get them to spend that money will be tricky for McLaren vs someone like Ferrari.

Actual performance, like I said, there is little to judge....
    I probably overstated: In terms of performance numbers and magazine roadtests it'll probably be a toss up. But Ferrari is REALLY good at making cars that their customers (from the hardcore sports car enthusiasts to people who just want to cruise up and down Rodeo Drive) and McLaren is going to need to figure out who their customers are and what they want.
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

Everyone forgets the reason they only made about 135 F1s was because that's all they could sell. All the reviews said they were great cars and today they're considered classics, but throughout the 90s McLaren struggled to sell every one of them.
    it was 75 roadcars . . . . . . . whose forgetting ?

so your opinion above , you do realise the way the worlds economy was heading in the late eighties & early 90's that made the million dollar F1 such a hard sell ? because its ignorance to think Mclaren doesnt know how to make a car as well as ferrari does . they probablly dont have the factory to match ferrari in production numbers , but your dreaming if you think a large customer base equals a better roadcar

Aston & Lambo havent produced a car in the exact type that the 458 is . bringing up both because they sell expensive cars is by & large irrelevant . as is the whims of the rich. the MP4 will sell good - if the 458 is anything to go by

have you heard from an unsatisfied F1 owner ? they by & large talk of appreciation of the "owners club" mentality that Mclaren continues to foster for their 17 year old creation

& what is more likely than the Mp4 selling well is the MP4 having the performance edge over the 458
    Last edited by Badsight; 12-19-2010 at 03:33 PM.

But Ferrari is REALLY good at making cars that their customers (from the hardcore sports car enthusiasts to people who just want to cruise up and down Rodeo Drive)
    If you mean Ferrari are really good at making cars that their customers want, then you are right - they put the prancing horse badge on the hood.

In all seriousness though, Ferraris are great.

There's a crucial difference between Ferrari and McLaren. Ferrari has 60-odd years of history behind. McLaren doesn't.

The end.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

In terms of achievement I think its hard to argue about what McLaren has done. The only issue is your general Joe Millionaire would not know their F1 history, how they are the 2nd most successful constructor in F1 history in their shorter existence, and how they have probably the most anal-retentive people in the world running the place and thus their product is probably un-rivaled in terms of attention to detail.

Like Kitdy said, without that prancing horse badge, McLaren is a hard sell...
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Well, you gotta start somewhere. I'd give em a better chance than someone that doesn't even have the racing background for people to know about, but that didn't stop Koenigsegg or Pagani.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

McLaren MP4 12C GT3 2011-

Nice looking in race config.

Andrew Kirkaldy said: “We have an extensive list of subjective and objective development targets set for the MP4-12C GT3. In the first tests, the car is achieving excellent results in many areas including handling, powertrain and other aspects of dynamic performance.

“The 12C’s carbon chassis and aerodynamic efficiency mean we started with a lightweight, dynamically-optimised sports car. Those characteristics are fundamental to any race car. The car is around 100 mm wider than the standard production car and features a new suspension system which we have tested in the McLaren Simulator. Having now experienced this new set-up in the 12C GT3 car, I’m delighted with the progress we are making.

“The McLaren GT team is working with Formula 1 technology suppliers, and several of the senior technical personnel involved in this project have vast experience in Formula 1. This is a unique advantage in developing a GT specification car.”
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dino Scuderia; 03-11-2011 at 07:19 AM.

Mp4 12c gt3 #2

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO7hSvcaQ2E&feature=player_embedded"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO7hSvcaQ2E&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

This looks wicked....I wonder what the specs are....
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Get that car to Le Mans!
    I love the Mercedes'ish rumbeling.
    Also known as:
    CTD and CrashTestDummy

That is freakin' awesome!!

Love that F1 style steering wheel!
    Buy a car for you, not for other people

McLaren MP4-12C GT3 #2