Thread: Gearbox problems

Gearbox problems

The 3-sp auto box in my car ('86 mazda 323) has been acting up lately. when i first drive it in the morning, it won't shift out of first. it will hold the car to the redline, ad the only way to make it shift out is to back off throttle completely. also, it kicks back to 1st really easliy, with only a little bit of throttle. the transmission fluid is fine and i don't do anything thats particluarly hard on it. could someone please give me a clue as to what might be causing this? Thanks
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

auto boxes are composed of hundreds of bits and pieces. Just take it to a shop and get a professional opinion. You dont have to get it fixed there if you dont want to, just steal their knowledge and experience and run
    Self confessed boost junkie:)
    84' Nissan N12 EXA, E15ET turbo.....with upgraded turbo:)
    UCP's biggest Afro on a white man!!!

Could be some sort of faulty solenoid. It could also have something more to do with the engine, does it run properly? An engine anomoly could cause gearbox issues, from what I hear. The other problem is that it's an auto, next time get a car with a manual. These isses don't exists then.

Does it stay in 2 if you select 2 ? or 3 ??
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

are you sure its not the transmission fluid?
    my 95 eclipse has a transmission fluid leak so i have to put some transmission oil in it after so many miles of driving, i know when its low cause sometimes the transmission will get on neutral after cornering or sometimes it'll stay on 2nd gear until i turn the car off.(this is a 4 sp auto)
    1993 nissan 240sx hatchback(stock) <<drifter, straight liner, road courser

"Horsepower is the force that determines how fast you hit the wall. Torque is the force that determines how far you take the wall with you after you hit it."

"Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races" - Carroll Shelby

"Real cars don't make power at the front wheels....they lift them."

i don't know about the sloenoid, it's a mechanical gearbox, not an electronic. it will hold when i use the selector and the fluid is fine as is the motor. i didn't have choice on the auto, it was a hand-me-down from my sister
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen
    The 3-sp auto box in my car ('86 mazda 323) has been acting up lately. when i first drive it in the morning, it won't shift out of first. it will hold the car to the redline, ad the only way to make it shift out is to back off throttle completely. also, it kicks back to 1st really easliy, with only a little bit of throttle. the transmission fluid is fine and i don't do anything thats particluarly hard on it. could someone please give me a clue as to what might be causing this? Thanks
    sounds like a valve body problem mate. If you dont mind me asking, have you got any mechanical knowledge??? If so it sounds like maybe a sticking valve or a broken spring in the valve body. The only way to make sure is to open up the box and have a look. which probably means your gonna have to take the gearbox out. Its front wheel drive, so thats not too much dramas its not like you have to take the engine out with it. Good luck. If you need a new gearbox, whack a 5-speed in it.
    "I'd rather let 1000 criminals get away than chase them..."
    Chief Wiggum.

na im pretty shit at the practical stuff and don't have the tools for that kinda stuff thanks for the help though
    – Hunter Thompson

to easy mate. that sounds like your problem anyway. the five speed is a nice little gearbox. one of my mates killed one and but that was from prolonged thrashings. if it needs a new gearbox but it shouldn't get a 5 speed. is yours the ohc 1.6 litre mate??? those little puppies are great for rallying. really revvy with the manual.
    Chief Wiggum.

yeah its a 1.6 it'll go out to nearly 6k rpm, its got no guts though, 0-100 in 13 sec
    – Hunter Thompson

better then my car, 0 - 100 in approx 15 secs... (thats a four speed man with a leaking head gasket)
    The Datto will rage again...

i think we'll have to have a drag blueie, worst 0-100 time on UCP is at stake
    – Hunter Thompson

sorry to ruin your fun

boy's there's no way you could top my paddock bashin' suzuki lj80. Iv'e seen about 80 km/h out of the old girl, you'd have to really be pushin' it to hit 100.
    my 60 foot times are awesome though.
    seriously now, it could take weeks to hit 100, if it'll do it. So I think I take the cake for the most pathetic time.
    Also it's the easiest car to roll ever. I've never seen a car with it's legs in the air so often.
    Last edited by rb30; 03-08-2005 at 03:19 AM.
    Chief Wiggum.

damn you win (or lose, i'm not sure )
    – Hunter Thompson

Thread Information