Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 240sx questions

240sx questions

I am getting a 1990 240sx se hatch for free from a friend and it has the SOHC ka24e witha blown crank. I am looking for any engines that i can find for some what cheap that would drop into the car with out any heavy modifiying.I could use some info on what cars have the same engine as the 240 and what engine can be dropped into the 240.

MaD JaI Di eM typ3 yo!

Why not just go with the stock motor?
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

The stock motor has 156xxx and has a blown crank

and i dont have the time or money to fix it myself

I meant, stay with that type of motor.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Quote Originally Posted by 240sxdrift89
    I am getting a 1990 240sx se hatch for free from a friend and it has the SOHC ka24e witha blown crank. I am looking for any engines that i can find for some what cheap that would drop into the car with out any heavy modifiying.I could use some info on what cars have the same engine as the 240 and what engine can be dropped into the 240.
    Where in the world are you? If in US and Australia it might be quite easy. I don't have a clue about europe. They shouldn't be too expensive to get used form Japan so it all depends on how easy importing used motors is where you live.
    Zag when they Zig

Quote Originally Posted by johnnynumfiv
    I meant, stay with that type of motor.
    the Ka24e is a modified truck motor or something, not that sporty lol.
    SR20Det is a good choice, or go nuts with a VQ30Det(or whatever the 300zx engine is called) - either should not be too hard to find in the US.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

240sx was only released in America(north america only i believe), in other parts of the world its called the 200sx or silvia and there maybe be a couple other games.

the ka24e may not be 100% sporty but it sure as hell will make more torque than an SR20DET if turbocharged.

common swap is sr20 or ka24de(DOHC), both should drop in with minor mods, then comes the RB(20,25, 26DET(T) line which you can buy motor mounts and maybe made wiring harness, but its a lot harder and more costly(the RB20DET is about the same price as the SR20DET as far as swapping goes, cept you still have to get mounts from somewhere compared to the SR20)

or you could just drop another ka24e, those make ok n/a engines as well as turbocharged.

btw is it really a blown crank?, or you can still turn it on but hear rod knock whenever its revved?, if its rod knock, then more than likely a spun bearing, as it is unusual to mess up the crank really bad.

and that engine is only carried by the 240sx and some nissan trucks(the truck block is around the same as the 240sx 1, may have some small differences like the cam), the stanza and others carry the front wheel drive version of it which can't be swapped, or probably could but would have to do modifications
    Last edited by TheOne; 05-04-2006 at 09:46 PM.
    1993 nissan 240sx hatchback(stock) <<drifter, straight liner, road courser

"Horsepower is the force that determines how fast you hit the wall. Torque is the force that determines how far you take the wall with you after you hit it."

"Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races" - Carroll Shelby

"Real cars don't make power at the front wheels....they lift them."

go the Silvia series! BIG BIG FAN, obviously.

Do a 1JZGTE conversion, dickloads more power/reliable then an RB series engine and hell cheaper (at least in aus)
    The Datto will rage again...

Im in the usa and trying to look through nissian cars in the near by junkyards to see if i can find one for a steal.i just needed to know which cars carry the engines that can be dropped into the 240 engine bay with me having to chop it up and get different motor mounts ect

As for the motor is ahs a spun bearing but he also said that the crank was bad.When he heard the knocking he revved it real hard and said metal came out of the engine on the road and hasnt figured out what it was.

It would really help me out if anyone could give me some info on what cars in the us might be laying around a junkyard with a ka24de or as a last chance hope ka24e

Since the 240 is RWD, pickup engines should be a better match than the Altima, which is FWD. I'd still try to locate a 240SX engine though. Preferably the newer 16v.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

Sr20det.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

You cant find another 240sx in a junkyard? i figured that wouldnt be too hard.
    You can call me scott.

I havent looked yet but will de soon
    I was wondering if there would be any problems that would come up when putting in a DOHC into a 1990 hatch
    thanks for the help so far

Thread Information