Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Why....

Quote Originally Posted by my porsche
    Ah...

No thanks, Seinfeld is on.

To 6Speed, something else I just thought of: How in the hell does this affect you AT ALL?
    it does, the trend in the market affects manufacturer's decision into where to spend their money during research, if 90% of the population want a fake manual box then they would spend much more money designing it instead of improving a proper stick shift tranny

for enthusiasts this is really annoying, since the car manufacturers are all claiming the car is great driver's car the experience is race like or w/e but they're taking away one of the most important (imho) aspects of driving, having a proper manual may make you a bit slower when compared to a good automated manual but that's not te point

we WANT to be doing the rev matching and gear selection, not letting a computer do it for me

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Scuderia
    Every car owner is not a die hard car enthusiast.
    This may explain why manual transmissions are not popular in economy/family cars, but for performance cars it is a different story. I for one find it very annoying when people with lots of money and little class muck up the selection of real performance cars for us "die hard car enthusiasts". I don't really like the idea of a non car enthusiast buying a ferrari at all (as they are probably doing it for some very shallow reason like to pick up little skanks). That being said, I am not sure that this is what's really going on here. I have never driven a car with an F1 transmission and I don't know how fun they are compared to manuals. They may be faster but for many people (including myself) it is pretty much all about fun.

Quote Originally Posted by taz_rocks_miami
    Unless you master things like heal and toeing and double clutching, you'll never take full advantage of a fully manual transmition. Which is the case for most people with a fully manual.

Besides, perfonmance driving is about getting around the track in the fastest possible way. DSG boxes help you accomplish this. I've always loved and driven fully manual cars but I drove a friends DSG Alfa 147 not too long ago and loved it. In the future I'd like to have cars with both kinds of trannies.
    Alfa's don't have DSG, they have Selespeed witch is a slower system than DSG.
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

I don't think those come with an SMG do they?

BUT...he's a surfer...so he's alright by me. What board do you have man?
    A Xanadu Tufflite.

And why is everyone here being so negative to me. I wasn't necassarily talking about SMG's in general.

I was talking about Automatic. All I'm saying is my own opinion. As far as I know, the first cars weren't automatics.

If you don't like what I have to say, don't respond.
    The ability for outward expression is dependent on substance...

Quote Originally Posted by 6speed
    A Xanadu Tufflite.

And why is everyone here being so negative to me.
    Is that one of those foam top type thigns?

Probable because of the aggressive and somewhat rude first post...That's my guess.
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

Ok. I have to be brutally honest here.

I'm am royally pissed off with hearing about new clutchless transmissions, DSG's, Sequential and Automatic Sequential DSG with no Clutches.

These are not sporting transmissions. I do not care what Ferrari likes to say (Paddle Shifters "Just Like F1!"). Or what way Lamborghini Puts it (We're copying Ferrari! Yet Again!). Sure, the Bugatti Veyron is a fast car, but is it really that much fun if you can put it in drive?
    And why is everyone here being so negative to me. I wasn't necassarily talking about SMG's in general.

I was talking about Automatic. All I'm saying is my own opinion. As far as I know, the first cars weren't automatics.
    No, you're were talking about sequential gearboxes with automated clutches and hydraulic shifting, not automatics.

If you don't like what I have to say, don't respond.
    If you don't like the way people are responding to your post, then maybe you should rethink the way you talk in posts.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Oh here's another thing. My 330Ci is a 5 speed... a 5 speed automatic that is, so piss on that all you want, and Im sure you'd love to come and shoot the tranny even though its not an SMG but its an auto, that should be enough for ya.

BTW, PM me if you want my address.
    2011 Honda Civic Si

ATHEIST and damn proud of it.

Is that one of those foam top type thigns?

Probable because of the aggressive and somewhat rude first post...That's my guess.
    i would have to agree with that!
    The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.
    -Rita Mae Brown-

Quote Originally Posted by Equinox
    i would have to agree with that!
    So it IS a foamtop? I thought so.

I dunno about anything, but you can definitly get any Porsche you want with a six speed (and the cayenne is actually six seconds faster to 60mpg with a six speed than with tiptronic).

scratch that, you can't

damn porsche
    Last edited by targa; 07-29-2006 at 10:39 PM.
    pondering things

Thats probably because there are more people in Texas than his whole country, so he assumes all American roads are like the raods in Canada.
    It would be sweet if you were right, and we didn't have stop-and-go traffic. Unfortunately for us, you're totally incorrect. I still prefer a manual because it doesn't bother me, it's more fun, and it returns better fuel economy, but most cars sold in Canada are automatics.

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog
    It would be sweet if you were right, and we didn't have stop-and-go traffic. Unfortunately for us, you're totally incorrect. I still prefer a manual because it doesn't bother me, it's more fun, and it returns better fuel economy, but most cars sold in Canada are automatics.
    Hmm...well maybe I was there in an off week. No traffic. Anyway...what was I gonna say...damn I forgot. I'll think about it.

In some VW models, the DSG is quicker AND has better economy than a manual

Quote Originally Posted by ruim20
    Alfa's don't have DSG, they have Selespeed witch is a slower system than DSG.
    My bad, I should have said paddle shifters.
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

Nowadays you can't assume the manual gets better mileage. But seriously, it kinda shocked me when the manual '06 Civic got worse mileage compared to the automatic '06. Then you have to throw in the CVT's and things really get complicated.

Thread Information